Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #106
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Could it be that the reason behind the price increase is that Hoya is planning to sell Pentax?

And I was wondering, Pentax just launched a product - why doesn't anyone say the old "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" mantra? I started to believe they keep their energy for the 645D, which for sure will kill Pentax

12-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #107
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Body $ keep going down. Glass just keeps going up. Must be the scarcity of sand in Japan or Phillipines to make the glass from. I guess I'm done buying new lenses.

edit: I wonder if Hoya gives better pricing to competitors than it does to its own Pentax division? Would be funny if Pentax lense could be more affordable by getting its glass from another source while still owned by Hoya.

Last edited by m8o; 12-10-2009 at 11:50 PM.
12-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #108
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Everybodys lens prices went up.
Everybody.... Worldwide... Stop Buying New Lenses! A moratorium on buying new lenses.... we'll show them! Quick scan of this News & Rumors section has really worked me up.
12-11-2009, 12:04 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
edit: I wonder if Hoya gives better pricing to competitors than it does to its own Pentax division? Would be funny if Pentax lense could be more affordable by getting its glass from another source while still owned by Hoya.
great woolly jeebus!! That would be too freaking funny! It also could e'splain a lot Lucy...perhaps to prop up the Hoya Corporate numbers they are gouging their own subsidiary/division compared to the pre-HoyaTax era.

Man that would be funny...in a very sad way. BTW, who makes the glass for Tokina? For Tamron? I am not up on these things so I really dunno who supplies glass to who.

12-11-2009, 01:06 AM   #110

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Body $ keep going down. Glass just keeps going up. Must be the scarcity of sand in Japan or Phillipines to make the glass from. I guess I'm done buying new lenses.
It sounds like Pentax has finally hired someone who did 2nd year microeconomics and told them about Complementary Product Pricing.

Sure, the text books typically talk about razor handles and blades, but it's equally true for Sony PS3s and games. . . or Pentax K7s and lenses.

The strategy is:
  1. Offer a compelling "core" product at a very attractive price. How attractive? The PS3 was sold at a loss for years. Pentax would have to have the best value bodies in the business;
  2. Make your profit largely or even solely from the "complement" product - razor blades, PS3 games, lenses. . .;
  3. Differentiate your complement product from the competition (including your legacy complement products) to create even greater demand inelasticity - proprietary couplings, WR, SDM, metal housing. . . whatever creates either increased demand or increased profit (or both).
12-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yes, brilliant. see, why didn't i think of that? oh, wait. you mean like sony, for instance, who completely burried some of their most brilliant technologies from birth (engineer makes a brilliant product, marketing retard turns it into shit, genius), the minidisc comes to mind (if you don't see my point, sit down and realize that now apple is more recognized for personal audio equipment than sony. apple, of all companies. if you have been around enough, you might remember sony used to be _the_ one, now they are barely "also ran"s).

the trick is to not cross the line, and i am starting to think they have long corssed it, already (me thinking seriously of canon is not something anybody would have considered possible one year ago..)
12-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #112

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
. . .like sony, for instance, who completely burried some of their most brilliant technologies from birth (engineer makes a brilliant product, marketing retard turns it into shit, genius), the minidisc comes to mind. . .
True! And you could add Betamax and memory stick to the mix for good measure. Sony priced their core product too high for sufficient market penetration, then got doubly screwed when the competition all coalesced around a generic complement product (VHS, SD, CDR). Complimentary product pricing only works when the few other producers are playing the same game. You might also say Sony didn't appreciate that the real compliment for Beta and minidisk product was content, not the media.

In the camera world, I can't see us going back to a universal mount soon, though it's interesting to watch the pricing for bodies in the m4/3 market.