Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
I was pretty excited about the K-7 and was hoping to get one as soon as I could save up the money...now I'm pretty hesitant. I bought into Pentax mainly because similar quality Nikon gear was too expensive. I'll wait and see where this is all going, but if Hoya is deciding to send pentax into mini-Leica-land than I'll quickly turn my eye back to Nikon.

I think it depends what you want, too. If you can't afford anything now, anyway, and Adorama's horrible price spike was a mirage, probably nothing to get too stressed about. If they screw up, those prices won't stay high, anyway. Just not for the reason they hoped.

07-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Looks like it's time to make some profits.
And no K-7 now.:ugh:
07-02-2009, 12:20 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Prices in Japan?

Is there anyone with good insight in the Japanese market? Has similar price hikes taken place in the home land of Pentax?

This would be an indicator of how big the Yen vs. other currencies effect has.
07-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
maybe, just maybe

The low prices of Pentax in the past are the prime reason why they could not invest in R&D and High ISO noise is not better than it is now, AF is not better than it is now...
Maybe, if Pentax were not so cheap in the past, we'd have better cameras and lenses now.

I think pricesrisesa er influenced by:
-Yen vs. other currencies
-less money going around
and what nobody mentions
-raw materials used become more expensive as well.

Have no fear, in a few weeks, Pentax will be the cheapest out there again.

07-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #35
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose we can't expect Pentax gear to remain so cheap - inflation and consistent technological improvements with consumer drive all pushing things up.

We should keep it in perspective, though... Pentax are still the best value for money, and now up with the best in tech advances.
07-02-2009, 01:26 AM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
We should keep it in perspective, though... Pentax are still the best value for money, and now up with the best in tech advances.
no they are not ... I like Pentax, but with these prices Pentax isnt best value anymore
07-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #37
Veteran Member

bad value now in a few fields, still good value at others

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
no they are not ... I like Pentax, but with these prices Pentax isnt best value anymore
Depends on your needs.

But the one field that Pentax leads in now is exactly what was said in the infamous Hoya statement: Ruggedness.
Ofcourse there are other sealed bodies but none are as cheap and small as the Pentax ones. Oly E-3 on about same level in price but that one has been around for some time now. Lenses are slowly becoming more expensive but no-one else offers WR kit lenses. And I doubt they'd make sealed kit lenses if there was no sealed lower specced, more entry level (although probably not competeing with K-m/K2000) on the horizon.

Also, some of the other so-called sealed cameras do not offer the same protection.
Even according to my highly Canon/Nikon biased store, the K10D/K20D/K-7 and ofcourse Oly E-1 and E-3 beat the cr*& out of Canon and Nikon with regards to protection (unless you go 1D/1DsMksomething or D3) and hardly any Nikkor lens offers the same protection (although at last you can find some info on their website).

07-02-2009, 02:26 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
I like Pentax, but with these prices Pentax isnt best value anymore
Others pay more because they want the name "Canon" or "Nikon". Why pay less for the "Pentax "name if you like it??
07-02-2009, 03:42 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Others pay more because they want the name "Canon" or "Nikon". Why pay less for the "Pentax "name if you like it??
Good thing I'm not wedded to the name. I'll wait and see how prices are by year's end before making any moves, though.

Heck, if Samsung comes out with K-mount lenses that are priced below Pentax's similar/equivalent offering, I might give those a go, though if their lenses really are plain rebadges, I don't see how they can be much cheaper. *shrug*

Good thing there's Tamron and Sigma, though. I'm willing to sacrifice the WR of Pentax's DA* lenses and make do with other forms of covering if it saves me quite a bit of money.
07-02-2009, 05:18 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Good thing there's Tamron and Sigma, though. I'm willing to sacrifice the WR of Pentax's DA* lenses and make do with other forms of covering if it saves me quite a bit of money.
Third party lenses always haven been a somewhat cheaper alternative, I see no reason why they should not remain cheaper but if things continue (yen vs. rest of the world, raw materials price hike, smaller lens market) I suspect them to rise as well sooner or later.
They may delay because the sell more lenses overall but it will come.
07-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #41

it seems with current recession and currency exchange this was bound to happen. its just a bad move for pentax to rise their prices for their products to levels close or even higher to their competition. one of pentax's main selling points was quality for competitive prices. now they are not so competitive anymore...

to anyone doubting price increases, i think you should buy now before its too late. they will probably come back down, but remember that airline gas fee that never came down after gas prices pluged? recently the fa 50mm went up $60 and the da 50-135mm went from ~$725 - $770. i think its going to happen soon.

i dont even have a weather sealed camera (which is broken) and i might have to pick up one of the da*....
07-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #42
Veteran Member

as some of you said...
I would pay more for a BETTER, FESTER, lenses...
not for current 28 pentax lenses ...
it dos not fit the pentax camera line as well ...$ K1+ are lenses for a FF camera
or if youare in Nikon Canon world , Lenses with IS...
we have IS in the camera

I would pay more for A :
D-FA* 24-70 f/2.8 WR
35mm f/1.2 LTD (small!and works on film as well)
D-FA 20mm 2.8 (with metal body and HSM)
D-FA 55mm 1.2 (with metal body and HSM)

in other words if Pentax had what other brands calls "pro" line

current 28 Pentax lenses are fantastic but I think their pricing is prefect.
there is no reason for it to be higher or even = to canon/ Nikon pricing

(now I know for now prices are back to normal but just in case what happened yesterday will become a permanent thing)
07-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
as some of you said...
I would pay more for a BETTER, FESTER, lenses...
not for current 28 pentax lenses ...
it dos not fit the pentax camera line as well ...$ K1+ are lenses for a FF camera
or if youare in Nikon Canon world , Lenses with IS...
we have IS in the camera

I would pay more for A :
D-FA* 24-70 f/2.8 WR
35mm f/1.2 LTD (small!and works on film as well)
D-FA 20mm 2.8 (with metal body and HSM)
D-FA 55mm 1.2 (with metal body and HSM)

in other words if Pentax had what other brands calls "pro" line

current 28 Pentax lenses are fantastic but I think their pricing is prefect.
there is no reason for it to be higher or even = to canon/ Nikon pricing

(now I know for now prices are back to normal but just in case what happened yesterday will become a permanent thing)

Ok, You have said it best. I would agree. If I had to pay say $2-300 more for a nice new "pro" lens line of all 2.8's or faster, metal bodies, full frame capable etc I would. But not for the current line
07-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Japanese Prices

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Is there anyone with good insight in the Japanese market? Has similar price hikes taken place in the home land of Pentax?
PriceJapan.com
07-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #45
Veteran Member

The Canon lens offerings are becoming more attractive as Pentax raises prices this much. Pentax doesn't have a 5D equivalent either. I may have to join the dark side.