Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
The Canon lens offerings are becoming more attractive as Pentax raises prices this much. Pentax doesn't have a 5D equivalent either. I may have to join the dark side.
Does Canon have a K-7 equivalent?

07-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Does Canon have a K-7 equivalent?
The 50D is pretty dang close so long as you don't care about video or dropping your camera in the sink (keep in mind some people prefer larger cameras). I'd say between the T1i and the 50D they have the K7 market pretty well covered...but no exact match. Given, I'd rather have the K-7 than either of those cameras, but I'm about 99.9% certain I could get the exact same shot with any of them.

It's near impossible to choose anyone other than Canon if having lots of options is important to you. Even Nikon can't compete with the sheer number of lenses and gear Canon produces. I find myself daydreaming about going over to Canon every once in a while, then I snap back out of it as soon as I remember all their lenses I actually like start around $700 (aside from their 50mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8). They have plenty of affordable options, but I prefer Pentax's (and Nikon's) build quality in the affordable price range.
07-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #48
Forum Member

For me, no Nikon or Canon has felt quite right in my hands. I'd be hard pressed to switch over. Mind you, it does help that I've pretty much got my lens line-up finished, and only really need to be updating bodies every so often.
07-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #49

Pentax SMC DA* Series 50-135mm f/2.8 ED IF SDM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Digital SLR Cameras - View price & availability, track | camelcamelcamel.com

UGH.
Price on the Pentax SMC DA* Series 50-135mm f/2.8 is skyrocketing.

07-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
UGH.
Price on the Pentax SMC DA* Series 50-135mm f/2.8 is skyrocketing.
In all fairness, that chart is not giving an accurate impression as to the price increase of the 50-135mm. It makes it look like the price has increased 5-fold.
07-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
Still none that has the history of pentax prices to compare with the present?
07-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
seriously are you panicing over that graph? I honestly think some people only say things to get other people worked up. I redid the graph with the same numbers done in a different style. Graphs can be made to represent whatever they want to make things look better or worse depending on what they are trying to do.

http://stevenkovickart.com/pentaxforums/graph.jpg

Last edited by Dr_who; 07-02-2009 at 02:41 PM.
07-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might want to look at the actual numbers on the y-axis. Edit: OOPS, I see Dr. Who not only beat me to it, but did a much better job!

Jer
07-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just checked, it's $800 from Amazon. Is this some new kind of shopping, where people look to pay the *highest* price they can find?
07-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
The 50D is pretty dang close so long as you don't care about video or dropping your camera in the sink (keep in mind some people prefer larger cameras). I'd say between the T1i and the 50D they have the K7 market pretty well covered...but no exact match. Given, I'd rather have the K-7 than either of those cameras, but I'm about 99.9% certain I could get the exact same shot with any of them.
Okay, some prefer larger, but the main difference between the K-7 (and even K20D K10D and K200D) is that the Pnetax set up is sealed, now even with sealed entry level lenses. My guess is that the Cannon system might allows you a few more shots based on AF and so on but that the Pentax kit allows you more opportunities, unless you are an avid "good weather only shooter"

If Pentax/Hoya play it smart they could people make believe that sealing is essential from the lower end up, might even give them a bigger market share, even with higher prices for the more expensive lenses.
If so, the high prices will stay as the "new crowd" neer knew about the low prices... But I don't think that will happen, I am not sure how "smart"they are
07-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
seriously are you panicing over that graph? I honestly think some people only say things to get other people worked up. I redid the graph with the same numbers done in a different style. Graphs can be made to represent whatever they want to make things look better or worse depending on what they are trying to do.

It just dawned on me - you might have wished the new body to be named "K-9". Anyway, how's that sonic screwdriver workin' out for 'ya?

Jer
07-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #57
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote

Thanks Dr., that's a LOT better and paints a far more balanced picture!
07-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RadamFG Quote
Thanks Dr., that's a LOT better and paints a far more balanced picture!
Actually, it paints the same picture - you simply have to read the numbers on the y-axis.

Jer
07-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #59
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Actually, it paints the same picture - you simply have to read the numbers on the y-axis.

Jer
Thanks, I really needed that lesson on how to read a graph...

While factually it's the same picture, at a quick glance they lead to very different impressions.
07-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
It just dawned on me - you might have wished the new body to be named "K-9". Anyway, how's that sonic screwdriver workin' out for 'ya?

Jer
haha your right, but I not sure I quite follow how Pentax plans on naming fellow models, K-8 K-9 K-10 without a D? Either way I laughed at your post.