Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #91
Veteran Member

I paid $425 (U.S.) for my 43 LTD about 6 months ago from Prodigi2000 and that included S&H and it was a Japan model.

Now look?

12-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #92
emr

I can't believe my eyes when the lens prices just keep going up. A certain webstore sold the DA 40 mm ltd for 399 euros - after all the price hikes earlier this year. A couple of days ago I noticed they had raised it to about 440 euros. And today? - 452 euros!

Give me a break! Is there really no end to this madness? What else in this world has such ridiculous price hikes, except maybe the manipulated oil price?
12-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sometime in the near future I am going to buy the WR 18-55, and then I am done buying pentax lenses. If they want any of my lens dollars in the future then they will need to release some Reasonably fast prime lenses under $300. Until then my lens purchases will have someone elses name on them.

Edit: This excludes used of course.

Last edited by Steve Beswick; 12-08-2009 at 03:50 PM.
12-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Wow, what is going on? That price is within $91 of a new Canon 70-200 f/2.8L USM

Man, I wish I would have waited a week or so to sell my DA* 50-135. I'll bet I could have gotten another couple hundred bucks!

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 12-08-2009 at 03:41 PM.
12-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What lens are you talking about? The Canon 70-200 runs 1200 dollars, even if you get it without IS.
12-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What lens are you talking about? The Canon 70-200 runs 1200 dollars, even if you get it without IS.
The OP said the price on a new DA* 50-135 was $1129.95. The current price of a 70-200 f/2.8L USM IS, is $1220.
12-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #97
Veteran Member

$1220 for non IS

$1220 for non IS :

Canon | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens | 2569A004 | B&H

$1699 IS :

Canon | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Autofocus Lens | 7042A002 | B&H

When I wandered over to the eos system darkside back in early months of 2008 my 70-200 2.8 IS ran me $1459 brand new from same store. Last month before instant cash off it was $1,999.

Nikon's new VRII 70-200 2.8 is like $2500 launch and mostly sold out due to extreme demand. That said even their $2500 to $11000 nikon lenses remain sold out due to extreme demand. Canon has a better handle on suppling high dollar glass to the marketplace.

The cheapo brand new lens prices of 2008 and earlier daze are gone.

Everybodys lens prices went up.

12-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It really upsets me that Pentax prices have skyrocketed so much in the 2 years I've been with the brand... had I known this would happen I'm fairly certain I would have spent my money elsewhere.

Their unique value proposition was competitive COST. Everyone knowns we're playing third fiddle (if that even) to the Canikon crowd. So what the hell?

My guess is that they're all excited over the K7 and just going to start gouging everyone for as long as they can. Hopefully this madness ends at some point, but like Samsungian said- it may be the end of cheap lens prices.

I can't think of a worse economy to do something like this in either... how are people supposed to keep ponying up more and more cash for lenses when it gets harder and harder to just pay the mortgage?
12-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #99
emr

Hey, the upside is that soon we'll all be able to sell our lenses for a huge amount of money, retire and start shooting with µ4/3 cameras!
12-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #100
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Don't think it's the Yen. The dollar is at 1:96 now and was 1:90 on Jan 1 - so the buck is stronger now actually.

As far as other brands, someone pointed out in the other thread on this that the Canon 200/2.8 lens is $750 compared to the DA*200/2.8 at $1200 at Adorama.

The thing for me is I can understand some market adjustments here and there but a 40% increase? The DA*200 went from ~850 to 1200. The whole thing (to me) stinks of "rebate" pricing; jack up the base price and then offer a "rebate" on the back side so the customer doesn't feel bent over. With the K-7 due out next week...
Damn!! I hate it when pentax lens price increase.... Not FF and yet priced like an FF lens. They should review... review.. review..... the prices...
12-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #101
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went ahead and got a FA 77mm (Japanese version) 2 weeks ago because I expect the prices to go up and remain high for a while on "premium" lenses. In fact, my original plan was to get the Da 70mm, but the price point between it and the 77mm had closed.
12-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Prices for products from Japanese owned companies will likely continue upward

Prices for products from Japanese owned companies will likely continue upward inspite of missing their recent quarter's target. The old sell less product for more dough philosophy

Last December Canon slashed prices, even below minimum advertised prices, and made me spend more. I remember the prices, I wrote them down

There are no great and tempting deals this year so... I'll pass.

This year holiday prices are no where near as slashed as last years, so I'm buying gear made in USA for same money it was 3 years ago.

Like what?

Wimberley, Really Right Stuff.

Bloomberg News:

Japan Economy Grows 1.3%, Less Than Initial Estimate of 4.8% - Bloomberg.com

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
It really upsets me that Pentax prices have skyrocketed so much in the 2 years I've been with the brand... had I known this would happen I'm fairly certain I would have spent my money elsewhere.

Their unique value proposition was competitive COST. Everyone knowns we're playing third fiddle (if that even) to the Canikon crowd. So what the hell?

My guess is that they're all excited over the K7 and just going to start gouging everyone for as long as they can. Hopefully this madness ends at some point, but like Samsungian said- it may be the end of cheap lens prices.

I can't think of a worse economy to do something like this in either... how are people supposed to keep ponying up more and more cash for lenses when it gets harder and harder to just pay the mortgage?
12-09-2009, 07:28 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote

ummmm....if someone is having probs paying the mortgage, I would hope that buying new camera gear is the LAST thing on the list. Even if one earns their living with a camera, purchases need to be of the absolutely necessary variety, when you are broke you are broke...this is why so many are in the situations they are in already and that was BEFORE things got bad. Grab a mindless job to make up the extra and ride out the down time as best as ya can, but buying high dollar camera gear might just be a below normal idea.
12-10-2009, 04:40 AM   #104
Voe
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
The low prices of Pentax in the past are the prime reason why they could not invest in R&D and High ISO noise is not better than it is now, AF is not better than it is now...
Maybe, if Pentax were not so cheap in the past, we'd have better cameras and lenses now.

I think pricesrisesa er influenced by:
-Yen vs. other currencies
-less money going around
and what nobody mentions
-raw materials used become more expensive as well.

Have no fear, in a few weeks, Pentax will be the cheapest out there again.

These are all very valid points, but allow me to add one more. I could be wrong but I think it's a common practice to increase the product price in order to make the company look better and increase it's market value for potential sale. Could it be that the reason behind the price increase is that Hoya is planning to sell Pentax?
12-10-2009, 05:07 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
The OP said the price on a new DA* 50-135 was $1129.95. The current price of a 70-200 f/2.8L USM IS, is $1220.
It is just strange to me, because the OP was in July and Amazon still has the 50-135 for 820 dollars. Maybe they are still selling old stock, or maybe somebody is trying to making a killing on Pentax lenses. It looks as though in the Amazon marketplace, most of the prices are between 800 and 900 dollars for this particular lens.