Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
Telephoto does not mean zoom.
I know that, but it doesn't exclude a zoom and it does exclude DA* or Limited.

I'd prefer a telephoto zoom with IQ like the 55-300. SDM and WR would be ideal, but nothing that pushes the price up too high. Something around $1K would be ideal. If it isn't a zoom I'd still consider it, but if it's $1500, I'm out.

08-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
II'd prefer a telephoto zoom with IQ like the 55-300. SDM and WR would be ideal, but nothing that pushes the price up too high. Something around $1K would be ideal. If it isn't a zoom I'd still consider it, but if it's $1500, I'm out.
You're out. You won't get a Pentax super telephoto for this kind of money....
08-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Screw cheapo superzooms. Bring on the 400mm f/4, 300mm f/2.8 and 135mm F/2!!
08-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You're out. You won't get a Pentax super telephoto for this kind of money....
Why not? Sigma has a 50-500 and 150-500 for around a grand.

08-11-2009, 02:03 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Why not? Sigma has a 50-500 and 150-500 for around a grand.
Its Sigma. A third party which doesn't even pay licences. No wonder why prices are lower.
08-11-2009, 02:19 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Plus they are not great on IQ, they are not sealed, they are quite slow. Not what we can expect from a Pentax supertelephoto.
08-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Well 300 F/4 is the standard for sports photography couple that with the new AF system in the K7 and pentax is ... dare i say making its way slowly into the world of sports photography?? I mean when with the 200 F2.8, and now the rumors of the 400 F4 you never know???

That being said, Just from reading these post its sound like both of these lenses would be shall we say ... expensive? The most expensive glass in the current lineup is what? 1200 dollars?? Its obviously a major step.

While of course the Canon 400 F4 is also an L-series and i would imagine features expensive things like in lens shake reduction. I am expecting a 2499 price with a 2350 amazon price.

08-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Plus they are not great on IQ, they are not sealed, they are quite slow. Not what we can expect from a Pentax supertelephoto.
If it's a DA, then it may not be sealed, will not be fast, would be somewhat more expensive than Bigma and possibly better IQ. I find it very hard to believe that Pentax would label a 400mm F4 as a DA and not a DA*. The last official Roadmap to show the Super Telephoto clearly labelled it as a DA lens. Of course it's not on the current roadmap, so maybe it's been killed or rethought.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-11-2009 at 09:30 AM.
08-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
More trash talk on third party lenses.

I don't know your experience level and how you evaluate your lenses. But I have been buying lenses for over thirty years to cover my use of four different film formats. I make my living peering through a viewfinder with said lenses on the other side.

I like Pentax lenses. But, contrary to your supposition that IQ is not great on Sigma lenses, I have to ask you... what the hell are you talking about?

I have owned perhaps fifty Pentax lenses during my life. Most were quite good to exceptional. I have owned three Sigma EX DG lenses that I purchased over the last few years. They are among the best lenses I have ever purchased.

If you spend money for the right professional grade lenses you get what you pay for. Sigma makes many exceptional lenses and as a loyal Pentaxian I don't feel in the least bit let down by my Sigma purchases.

And if you think that the QC problems that Sigma sometimes is slammed for are a problem, I can assure you that Pentax certainly looks to be vying for a top spot on the poor QC platform also over the past few years. That is something I never witnessed in a lifetime of using Pentax equipment before. But times have changed.

Stephen
08-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #70
Veteran Member

+1 at SCGushue

My Sigma 18 to 50 EX DC macro is probably better than the Pentax DA* 16 to 50. My friend had a DA* 16 to 50 to compare to and he was always impressed how go sharp my lens was compared to his. He preferred the Pentax because of the SDM though. Of course you could say I got lucky and got a very sharp producing copy I suppose. This very pentax photo review site rates the Sigma at a 9 over the Pentax's 8.5 and its also a good half the price of the pentax. Sure you might not get as good of AF without the SDM motor but still. Of course since Pentax fixed the QC problems with the early copies of this lens though I have seen review sites state that the Sigma simply just had a better formula in this lens.

Last edited by Chwisch87; 08-11-2009 at 02:06 PM.
08-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
I have owned three Sigma EX DG lenses that I purchased over the last few years. They are among the best lenses I have ever purchased.

If you spend money for the right professional grade lenses you get what you pay for. Sigma makes many exceptional lenses and as a loyal Pentaxian I don't feel in the least bit let down by my Sigma purchases.
I, on the other hand, bought a Sigma 28/1.8 that's unusably soft wide open, that focuses slowly, and that focuses inaccurately. I'm not satisfied with the optical performance or the construction, and this problem seems not to be quality control but merely poor lens design.

Sure Sigma has some winners, but IMO they have a higher occurrence of poor performers than Pentax glass. And that's even before considering QC. I'm hesitant to purchase third-party lenses in the future because of my experiences.
08-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Sigma 28mm EX DG f/1.8 is my favorite lens. I love it.
08-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Maybe a 135-300mm and 11-16mm would make the Pentax system strangely similar to Nikon's current zoom series.

Nikkor 14-24mmf/2.8, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 200-400mm f/4
Pentax 11-16mm f/2.8, 16-50mm, 50-135mm, 135mm-300mm f/4

Just an observation.
08-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
I, on the other hand, bought a Sigma 28/1.8 that's unusably soft wide open, that focuses slowly, and that focuses inaccurately.
Soft wide open: what would you expect from such a lens at that kind of price?
focus slowly: try it on K-7
inaccurately: agin, try on K-7.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
Sure Sigma has some winners, but IMO they have a higher occurrence of poor performers than Pentax glass. And that's even before considering QC. I'm hesitant to purchase third-party lenses in the future because of my experiences.
Had. Maybe still has, but one has to ackknoledge Pentax QC is, for now, not what it was.

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenMerola Quote
My Sigma 28mm EX DG f/1.8 is my favorite lens. I love it.
Indeed, same here, although big and heavy I LOVE the DOF effects it allows
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Soft wide open: what would you expect from such a lens at that kind of price?
I agree that it's a solid performer for some circumstances - but the recently discontinued FA35 sold for around the same price ($350 for mine a few months back, and I'm seeing $380 for the Sigma right now), and outperforms it in essentially every respect.

Getting a used Sigma 28/1.8 is probably the cheapest way to get a lens in that range of speed and focal length, but if you're willing to hunt a bit, there are more compelling alternatives for just a bit more money.