Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #16

I guess I should have actually read the product page thoroughly, huh... :-)

Its definitely encouraging that they are charging right away though, I seriously doubt that a place like B&H would do that if they weren't positive that the product would be shipping very shortly.

Pretty much the only *rumored* one-up feature of this *rumored* GX30 that I think is plausible is the AMOLED display. Samsung is pretty much at the forefront of this technology, and it will soon be rolled out on mobile phones, P&S cams, etc. I doubt they would want to give it to Pentax before they have it on their own products.

If it is a magnesium+WR body, its not going to look like the K20/GX20. There is no logical reason why samsung would do that. Furthermore, the 3" AMOLED swing/tilt display would require a new body design (button placement, etc), as would the beefed up shutter mechanism, GPS and WIFI chips, etc.

The timing of these *rumors* is not coincidental. Neither is the fact that its basically a juiced-up K-7. The K-7 has received some good press, and someone wants Samsung to steal the spotlight. Has nobody questioned where these "stats" came from? Certainly not from a source with serious industry credibility.

That aside, IF the announcement date of this rumored Samsung turns out to be July 7th, I'm a little concerned about the working relationship between Samsung and Pentax. I know that if I were a Pentax exec, I would certainly not be pleased to see Samsung come out with a competitor product literally the same week as the (hopefully) U.S. K-7 launch. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

As the previous poster said, there is always something new and more exciting coming, the longer you wait the fewer pictures you get to take.

07-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kiamon Quote
... You are ordering the K-7... But the Samsung GX-30 coming out soon and it's just a re-branded Pentax K-7 with the addition of

-3”Intelligent AMOLED 780K** dots swing and tilt display
-Built-in GPS
-Double SD/SDHC slots

I'd figure it'd be worth alone the wait for the 800×600 AMOLED screen assuming the price isn't ridiculous.

-----
Samsung GX30 full specifications sheet (not confirmed yet):

-Magnesium alloy body
-Environmentally sealed (dust and weather resistant)
-CMOS sensor 14.6 effective pixels (15 total pixels)
-ISO 100-6400
-RGB primary color filter
I know megapixels isn't everything, but trust me, you'd want more than just 14.6 pixels, at least a couple of million more.
07-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
I know megapixels isn't everything, but trust me, you'd want more than just 14.6 pixels, at least a couple of million more.

not only is it not everything but I'd really like to know what you or the average user actually does with images that already are 4672 x 3104 in resolution?!

10Mpixels is already way above what 99.99% of consugraphers need.

even what's printed on billboard go easily away with 1600x900 in resolution, so unless you're a photographer artist that silver prints 10'x10' for exhibitions that mega pixel debate/race is horse shit.
07-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LosAnJulien Quote
not only is it not everything but I'd really like to know what you or the average user actually does with images that already are 4672 x 3104 in resolution?!

10Mpixels is already way above what 99.99% of consugraphers need.
I think you missed my point
1 megapixel is 1 million pixels. 10 megapixels is 10 million pixels.

The Samsung camera is rumored to have 14.6 pixels.
Just 14.6

But yes, I do agree that for most applications 10MP is more than enough. Personally, my shots start out as 3872 x 2592 since I only have the 10MP K10D, and I do like the ability to crop from the 10MP image; my shots do occasionally get printed out to A3 sizes.

07-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiamon Quote
... You are ordering the K-7... But the Samsung GX-30 coming out soon and it's just a re-branded Pentax K-7 with the addition of

-3”Intelligent AMOLED 780K** dots swing and tilt display
-Built-in GPS
-Double SD/SDHC slots

I'd figure it'd be worth alone the wait for the 800×600 AMOLED screen assuming the price isn't ridiculous.
Isn't the GX30 still in rumor stage???
As far as I know there was one source, there is no other buzz on the net about this camera.
Anyway, if they waste their time on things like:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/65123-new-camera-samsung.html I doubt they will ever find the time to properly desin a camera ever again
07-03-2009, 04:35 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The miracle of the internet is that rumors will be promoted to facts as soon as they are posted!