Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually the K20D is a perfect platform for a beginner that allows growth "upward" without switching cameras.

Start on green mode. Learn about composition, focus, lenses.

Switch to Program Mode. Now you have green mode but you can tweak stuff. Start fiddling with the front and back e-dials. Experiment with WB and various flash modes.

Then User Mode: set your own preferences and defaults, make it "your" camera from the moment it switches on. P mode personalized.

From that point, use the Tv, Sv, and Av to learn the basics of exposure and the impact that each of these variables has on the image. Whatever you learn can help in customizing the User mode.

Plus, you have a camera that's weather sealed with a very rugged, "industrial" design, that fills your hand and has a solid feel.

Then again, I also think the K2000/K-m is a fabulous beginner platform too, but I learned DSLR on a K10D then the K20D.

So...get as much camera as you can, but one that will let you "camp" at various skill levels while still enjoying what it can do for you.

K20D fits that.

07-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
K20D for a first DSLR? You guys are silly.
let's say you got a porsche for a first sports car and bought it for only for about 1,000 dollars more as to buying a honda sportscar. are you going to buy the honda?
07-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel like we are some teenagers buddies trying to "help" him spend more on a hot car than the Toyota he has picked out. All so we can ride in it with him on weekends! Thats what friends are for though. Thats guy love. As long as its not the rent money, you never regret getting the faster chip, the bigger screen, more memory. No one ever complains about those things after the fact. Feel the lust....LBA will be calling soon...don't know what that means? You will.
07-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PaddlesUp Quote
I would love to have a k20d but i just can't afford it right now. I have been looking for the k-m on ebay but haven't found many. If you say you've seen the 2 lens kit go for under 500 that would be incredible!
Skip the kit lenses and get a prime. Those kit lenses are dead weights if you ask me.

If you live in Canada and appreciate the wilderness as your handle suggests, you might reconsider the K20D as the weather seals are a big help (especially here on the coast). You may also find a great deal on a used K20D by someone that didn't have the foresight to see the K-7 coming from a mile away. Try ebay or craiglist.

07-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The OP desn't mention if he's coming from a point and shoot or film camera.
Just states it will be his first DSLR.

I too vote the K20, if you are into photography.
The features can't be beaten for the money.

But, to answer the original query about the K-m or K200, I would be on the lookout for the K200.
The K-m has a lot of shelf life left, but the K200 is harder to find, and I've seen it go for some good deals in UK magazines, at least.