Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 04:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Australian Retailers Carrying Pentax?

I know Camerahouse, Teds etc.

But are any of the big box movers carrying it? only reason im interested is that I am keen to use 12mth interest free rather than spend the cash I have.

Any suggestions?

If not, oh well the ATO return will have to be well used

07-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. Great to see more and more Aussies logging on.
Have you considered vanbar? An online shop now offering the K-7 with outlets in Nth Melb and Carlton (as well as Sydney).
07-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

there have been some general electrical outlets advertising Pentax gear although haven't seen many recently. If they have a K200D or K-M on the shelf, they'll probably be able to order a K-7 in as well. Hardly Normals seem willing to do anything to get a sale... probably worth a try.
07-08-2009, 04:53 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Dick Smith carry them I think - the Super Stores, not the regular ones.

07-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #5

Paxtons as well.

Cheers
Shang
07-08-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The last version of my Aussie Pentax suppliers (updated in April this year) has a fairly comprehensive list.

It probably hasn't changed much since then. Any additions to the thread welcome.

Big box retailers aren't really in it much - there were some K200D sales at Dick Smith, JB and Office Works. But with the demise of the K200D these have largely dried up - although I note Office Works has the K200D and K20D on their site.

Don't even bother with Hardly Normal - they only sell Canikon.

Online is one of your best bets - and don't forget that CR Kennedy (the Australian distributor) are offering to match on-line prices from overseas on some lines (also in the same thread).

Good luck with your hunting.....
07-09-2009, 04:19 AM   #7

Harvey Norman had a bitch fight with CR Kennedy, they won't sell Pentax in the near future, if ever.

JB HiFi sell Pentax, but not much of them.
07-09-2009, 04:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I suppose JB Hifi might get into the bg box category, they carry heaps of Pentax.
Digital Camera Warehouse are about the best in pricing for Melbourne shops and in Northcote, friendly staff too.

07-10-2009, 04:37 AM   #9

I went into Ted's Camera in Canberra today, they had the K-7 on dispay and I had a hands on play with it.

Focus is definately very fast and the shutter noise well dampened.

The sales rep was very praising of the K-7 and even went on to say the image quality is the best AND the Live View focussing is the fastest he has seen in any DSLR with video.

I acted dumb and pretended not to know anything about Pentax, he did not try to swing me away towards Canon or Nikon.

I think I will need to feel the camera with a battery grip on it first. I am so used to my K10 and K20 with grips.

CM
07-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Speaking of which, I will pay the city stores a visit. Hopefully pleasant experience this time
07-10-2009, 06:07 AM   #11
Forum Member

I have dealt with Rainers Camera House in Brisbane City, and was more than pleasant. Great service actually.

Last edited by eagle; 07-10-2009 at 02:51 PM.
07-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can now vouch for the fact that CameraHouse in Lismore NSW have enthusiastic Pentax staff on hand.

I had a play with a k7 there today, and the salesgirl (a K20D owner) was very enthusiatic about the camera. Apparently other store employees are also Pentax enthusiasts too, and the arrival of the K7 caused quite a stir in-store.

Felt very good in-hand, very quiet shutter, lovely rear display. Also very compact feeling. Its solidity and compact size reminded me very pleasantly of the feel of some of my old M-series Pentax film cameras, like the MX. I liked that very much.
07-14-2009, 03:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well a business I do work for every now and then on the weekend deals with Pentax and has CR Kennedy as a supplier had a chat with the rep, looks like I found a good way to source some accessories for myself.
07-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Well a business I do work for every now and then on the weekend deals with Pentax and has CR Kennedy as a supplier had a chat with the rep, looks like I found a good way to source some accessories for myself.
Do share.. I want the battery grip and spare battery. $$?
07-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xhanatos Quote
Do share.. I want the battery grip and spare battery. $$?
I'll see, but generally these things are on the condition its for personal purchase and nothing else.