Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Walmart has the K-7 in stock with free shipping to your local Walmart store.
BestBuy also has free shipping with the K-7.
I'm also pretty sure that they also allow you to return online merchandise to a B&M store as well.

07-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
I'm also pretty sure that they also allow you to return online merchandise to a B&M store as well.
This is a smart business model. I've been a loyal Amazon customer, but the option to return an item to an actual brick-and-mortar store will make WalMart and Best Buy tempting alternatives.
07-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #48
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Uh, it is a flawed business model

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
This is a smart business model. I've been a loyal Amazon customer, but the option to return an item to an actual brick-and-mortar store will make WalMart and Best Buy tempting alternatives.
I bought a pair of shoes at Lands End. They had a flaw, so I returned them to a local Sears Store. They were replaced with another pair of the same shoe.

The replacement shoes had a different flaw. I had been given previously-returned merch in exchange for my merch return.

I shipped the second pair back to Lands End and received an unflawed replacement item.

The business model is flawed.
07-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Well from the looks of it, Pentax is basically taking all support away from local camera stores and Hoya has decided that the best strategy is to go with big boxes like amazon, wal-mart and Best buy and avoid the niche camera business.

An interesting move really. Perhaps Pentax/Hoya is seeing the end of the niche camera store business that cannot complete with more online wholesale prices for bodies and lenses. That would probably make sense.

I guess Pentax sees more profit in big boxes and focusing their attention there. In some ways it makes a lot of sense because of camera store prices are of course very high. Pentax can sell 2 cameras in a lower online big box price than a higher camera store price. Because Pentax sells there cameras at a similar price they basically get twice as much money. If they can sell the cameras anyway.

07-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
Well from the looks of it, Pentax is basically taking all support away from local camera stores and Hoya has decided that the best strategy is to go with big boxes like amazon, wal-mart and Best buy and avoid the niche camera business. .
I think Pentax want to focus on stores that actually push the brand. Not only stocking a body or two and then sell a Nikon or a Canon. There may be fewer Pentax stores this way but those that do sell Pentax will do better.
07-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Just to keep the ball rolling ....

I called my local camera shop (The Camera Company, Madison, Wis.) and put a deposit down on the first K-7 they'll get. No estimated delivery date yet.

They're selling at the same price as the Internet retailers and I'll put up with the 5.5% sales tax to support my local retailer.
07-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #52
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I called my local camera shop (The Camera Company, Madison, Wis.) and put a deposit down on the first K-7 they'll get. No estimated delivery date yet.

They're selling at the same price as the Internet retailers and I'll put up with the 5.5% sales tax to support my local retailer.
that sounds like a pretty good deal actually.
07-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I think Pentax want to focus on stores that actually push the brand. Not only stocking a body or two and then sell a Nikon or a Canon. There may be fewer Pentax stores this way but those that do sell Pentax will do better.
The supply chain and advertising markets do not work like that.

Canon and Nikon pay the camera stores to market locally. Olympus and Sony are also big on this. Pentax does not. Unless Pentax ponies up they get little shelf space and no prime flyer or web space.

Pentax has extremely poor marketing.

07-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #54
Pentaxian

They're a reasonably good-sized shop, there, used to get my developer an stuff at the one on Odana Rd. Madison's a town that hasn't forgotten what photo retail is, it seems: it's a good place to support it.
07-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The supply chain and advertising markets do not work like that.

Canon and Nikon pay the camera stores to market locally. Olympus and Sony are also big on this. Pentax does not. Unless Pentax ponies up they get little shelf space and no prime flyer or web space.

Pentax has extremely poor marketing.
Well, it's one way to keep prices down, but they've got to do something more. Even just an occasional ad to get some interest up and make sure that it's not so easy to dismiss the products. I think the strategy is going to have to shift sooner or later, maybe when they've really got a complete line together.
08-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #56

If I was Pentax I would want cash up front from Wolfe - from what I understand Ritz left everyone hanging
08-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #57
Veteran Member

NO WAY!!! That's great to hear, granted they have more Pentax stock than any other dealer I've been to in WI, I've always gotten the "Oh, you're one of those people" attitudes when I've stopped by to see if they had whatever lens I was after.

They've always quoted me list price when I ask about ordering whatever I'm looking for. Did you have to talk them into the price or did they realize that trying to sell at list doesn't move much product these days? I'm all about keeping the business local and I'll spend more at a local store if that's what it takes, but I can only go so far.
08-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Cash up front

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturephoto1P Quote
If I was Pentax I would want cash up front from Wolfe - from what I understand Ritz left everyone hanging
I think that's why Ritz/Wolfe hasn't stocked Pentax products in years. When Ritz went bust, they owed Nikon $26M and Canon $13M or $14M. Pentax wouldn't or couldn't give them that kind of trade credit.

I've also heard that Mr. Ritz (David?) has made a firm offer to buy the remaining Ritz/Wolfe stores from the bankruptcy court, for $33M. Rumor has it that Nikon is supplying at least half of that. They must figure that this is the only way to get their $26M back.

BTW, one person I spoke with (who may or may not know what he is talking about) claimed that the $26M amounted to 20 percent of Nikon's annual US sales. That's got to hurt. It sounds about right to me. That would mean that Nikon sells about $130M in the US, annually.
08-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #59
Damn Brit

If you find a local camera store that sells Pentax, ask them if they have a daughter that you can marry. Tell them that you don't mind if she looks like the back end of a bus. Just tell them a condition is that they must never discontinue Pentax

In the meantime, this is one of those cases where it would be much easier (and better for us) if someone were to start threads that say This store sells Pentax
08-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Pentax in Madison, Wisc.

Re Camera Company:

So far what I've bought has been at list, Pentax, Tamron, Hoya. That's OK when other very reputable dealers are selling at list or thereabouts. Otherwise it requires some thought.

They're also a Metz and Sigma dealer but they've always had trouble quoting a price over the phone or if I stop in. I have to call during the weekday and speak with someone who can contact someone else for pricing. Awkward.

On one occasion, the answer was that they'd have to order the item (K2000) and would charge MSRP or perhaps somewhat more. I'd have to call next week for the quote. That was a time that I could not support my local dealer.

Oddly enough, only once over two years did anyone offer to take my contact info, get the quote, and follow up with me. And that time I didn't get the callback.

With the K-7 body, I'll have spent between $2,000 and $2,500 over two years. Not a lot to them, I guess. And I've even stopped in while wearing my Nikon jacket!