Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Pentax does not have nearly enough products to be able to support such a store.

Apple has notebooks, desktops, monitors, ipods, cellphones, network hardware, and a pile of software. And also all that Apple moxy.

Pentax has a couple of camera bodies, and about 20 lenses (someone look this up and correct me, I'm too lazy). oh, I almost forgot the generic P&S's and the lone bridge camera.

Just not enough for a store. A kiosk maybe. But not a full store.
They should just find one good camera or electronic store in each major city to stock and display their gear. Even if it's just a subsidized proposition, it would give prospective buyers the opportunity to handle their gear and increase their visibility. Have all the high-end lenses displayed there to help engender that gear lust we got to experience during the recent K-7 tour. And put a store finder on the website.

08-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #77
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I buy 100% of my photography gear off the internet.
Me too. Why would I want to buy something in a store that has a 10%-20% markup over internet prices and deal with either a dumb or snotty sales clerk whose more interested in convincing me I need something that is in his stock than finding out what I really want?

I usually try to support local businesses (book stores, bike shops, etc.). I am willing to pay a higher price if it means good customer service and a knowledgable sales staff. It used to be that when you worked at a camera/sports/guitar/bike store, you were expected to know the specs on all products and be able to converse fluently about them with customers. Today's "sales persons" are little more that robotic scanning devices. The only time I ever see salespeople "talking" to customers is when they are trying to explain to the local soccer mom how to use her canon rebel. If you ask a technical question, more often than not they have to dig out the manual.

I remember as a kid, my uncle would take us to the guitar shop on Saturdays. He would spent at least an hour "talking shop" with the guy behind the counter (who usually was the owner), talking about new models, new accessories, etc., and would buy some moderately priced item on a regular basis.

Sadly, those days are long gone. No one has "service" anymore. All business compete on price alone. Internet shops can offer better prices due to manufacturer discounts and volume of business. Ergo, I shop internet stores.
09-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
Yea that will continue to happen until stores match internet prices on a regular bases.
And I doubt that will ever happen.

I, too, buy pretty much all my big ticket items over the web. I started out with Pentax sight unseen. The price attracted me, and after doing some internet research on the current state of Pentax at that time (2006), I bought and have never looked back. I knew the name "Pentax" but I'd never owned one. I had owned Nikon, Canon, Panasonic and Kodak prior to buying my first dSLR.

Buying sight unseen doesn't bother me in the least.

That being said, my local Fry's (in Houston - Clear Lake) carries the K2000, the K7 and the X-70 (or whatever the superzoom bridge cam is called). Given Pentax's smaller line of cameras, that's fairly representative. Canon and Sony had 4 dSLRs and a bridge cam or 2 each, and Olympus had a couple of dSLRs, plus the Pen. So, I'd say Pentax has fair representation there. Plus, Fry's doesn't carry Nikon.

As for the Pentax value question that I've seen raised lately, I still think Pentax is a good value proposition. Yeah, the lens prices have increased, but then so have everyone else's prices. The K20D is an absolute steal at current prices, and by the time that supply chain is exhausted, the K7 will be down in price. Plus, the K2000 will be selling for well less that $500 in the next several months, so in my mind Pentax is still the leader in value. Plus, several of the current magazines are touting the great value of the K7D, and they're talking about MSRP.
09-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #79

Wow, I must be a fanboy of sorts, because choosing a camera other then a Pentax was out of the questions. My only choice was the K10D or the K100D.

And the reason I was reading this thread? Trying to figure out why Nat Cam didn't carry many Pentax's and google lead me here, lol.