Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Wolf Camera No Longer Carries Pentax

Checked with two local Wolf Camera stores in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area, and was advised that they were told by the corporate headquarters that they would no longer carry Pentax cameras.

07-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wolf is Ritz. See other posts on this. I think Pentax decided they weren't worth the risk.
07-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My local shop no longer carries them as well. I bought about half my Pentax gear there. When I called today to ask if they were getting the K7 they guy said, "we no longer carry them and they'll be out of business by the end of the year."

Of course the guy who said that is a Nikon fanatic. He did mention Pentax laying off a good chunk of the salesforce including their rep who had been with them for 30 years. I think that was part of the previous bloodletting though...
07-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting...they still sell Pentax on their Web site.
PENTAX Cameras and Electronics - RitzCamera.com
I talked to a sales person at the Portland downtown store (Camera World of Oregon) and he said that Pentax had recalled all stock from their store. He said it was too bad because he was wanting to sell the K-7.

Steve

07-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
My local shop no longer carries them as well. I bought about half my Pentax gear there. When I called today to ask if they were getting the K7 they guy said, "we no longer carry them and they'll be out of business by the end of the year."...
Perhaps you miss-heard him. More likely he said, "...WE will be out of business by the end of the year."

Steve

(They actually moved a lot of Pentax in my area and had a good amount of stock...)
07-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Interesting...they still sell Pentax on their Web site.
Even though they share the same name. The online store and their brick stores are different companies.
07-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Perhaps you miss-heard him. More likely he said, "...WE will be out of business by the end of the year."

Steve

Yes, that's far more likely. I never was a Ritz/Wolf (+ 1/2 dozen other DBAs) fan...

On the plus side, Adorama shipped my K-7 today. Wheee!!!

07-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jackm Quote
Even though they share the same name. The online store and their brick stores are different companies.
So true...though Ritz Interactive (the online entity) directly supports the B&M Ritz stores by providing access to current sale flyers, store directions, etc. The B&M stores, in turn, honor online pricing and promote the Web store for items they don't stock. I figure that structuring the e-commerce entity as a separate company rather than as a subsidiary was a stroke of genius on the part of David Ritz since Ritz Interactive has remained profitable. (Both entities are privately held by the Ritz family and a few other private investors.)

Steve
07-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #9

Prophoto in Portland is no longer a Pentax seller either. Shutterbug is, or so they said this morning, but were not aware of the K7. Amazon got my business but I would have driven to Portland this morning to pick up a K7 in person. Oh well I guess. While I am excited to be getting the K7, with no retailers and little to no accessories nor aftermarket support, I just don't have a good feeling. My first Pentax was an MX in the 70's. Will the K7 be my last?
07-07-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Ritz/Wolf have always been famous for poor Pentax selection and high prices...why doesn't this bother me they aren't dealers any longer? Heck, I am surprised they are even still in business.

Jason
07-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K10Perry Quote
Prophoto in Portland is no longer a Pentax seller either. Shutterbug is, or so they said this morning, but were not aware of the K7. Amazon got my business but I would have driven to Portland this morning to pick up a K7 in person. Oh well I guess. While I am excited to be getting the K7, with no retailers and little to no accessories nor aftermarket support, I just don't have a good feeling. My first Pentax was an MX in the 70's. Will the K7 be my last?
You can get anything online, why does not having a local, high priced shop nearby give you an uneasy feeling about Pentax in general?

Jason
07-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
You can get anything online, why does not having a local, high priced shop nearby give you an uneasy feeling about Pentax in general?

Jason
The ONLY problem is that the number two advice I, and many other people, give when people ask what's right for them is to go to the store and pick one up. Numbers sell cameras to nerds and measurebaters. Flashy ads and prices sell cameras to soccer moms and egotrippers. Hand feel and a salesman's recommendation is what is going to sell a camera to the general public.

*Number 1 advice: Figure out how much is in your savings account, and whether your kids REALLY need college.
07-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #13
Banned

Walmart,Bestbuy,Amazon and a zillion other dealers carry Pentax so who cares about Wolf Camera.
07-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The local chain near me also stopped carrying Pentax. I asked why the Pentax shelf was almost empty, and the guy said, 'Well, in these tight times, we decided to stop stocking them in favor of stuff we know we can sell (CaNikon).' I thought to myself, 'Funny, I've never seen you try to sell Pentax to anyone. Anytime someone comes in looking for a camera, they take them right over to the Canikon shelf which is front and center, while Pentax is over in the corner and isn't spoken of. While I'd like to believe that the era of stupid, uniformed shoppers who rely on whatever a salesperson tells them is coming to a close, I still think this poses and issue for Pentax. Pentax really needs to earn the respect of the people who sell cameras. Or we all need to go work at camera stores.
07-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Walmart,Bestbuy,Amazon and a zillion other dealers carry Pentax so who cares about Wolf Camera.
They all stock Pentax online, but I dare you to try to find one in-store.