Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-7 gain 3rd place @ kakaku.com

07-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by yakiniku Quote
I noticed this too this morning.
It's nice that K-7 seems sell well.
However, I am quite surprised to see panasonic's GH1 sell well too. In my place, no one willing to buy this for the high price.
07-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could even get top slot.

Saw an ad for the K-7 in the train today(chuo line).
07-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
I noticed this too this morning.
It's nice that K-7 seems sell well.
However, I am quite surprised to see panasonic's GH1 sell well too. In my place, no one willing to buy this for the high price.
It's actually the opposite...

This is the market share for June 2009 from kakaku.com: パナソニック(Panasonic) got 18.65%

By the way, E-P1 got 2nd & 3rd places last week at BCN:

from:http://bcnranking.jp/category/subcategory_0008.html

07-07-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This is the market share for June 2009 from kakaku.com: パナソニック(Panasonic) got 18.65%

Wow, pretty strong showing for what's basically a 2-camera system from Panasonic (basically the practical difference between those 2 models being HD video recording). Of course, I'm assuming people in Japan who were interested in Panny's other 4/3 cameras have already done buying them at this point, and so it didn't affect the pie chart.

Pentax isn't doing bad also, getting 8.7% with only a couple of bodies, too. I'm expecting Olympus' share to grow, though, with the E-P1.
07-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Funny thing is, I really can't remember seeing a Panasonic like that on the streets.
Just haven't seen people using the GH1 or the like.
Seen more people using Sony in Japan than Panasonic.
07-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Funny thing is, I really can't remember seeing a Panasonic like that on the streets.
Just haven't seen people using the GH1 or the like.
Seen more people using Sony in Japan than Panasonic.
Well, that is curious. I haven't made an attempt to run the pie chart page through a translator, but maybe that chart covers only sales records for the past few months?

Which Sony cameras are you seeing mostly? I understand their previous triumvirate of entry-level cameras got them good market share, not sure how the remodeled ones are holding up. I'm certainly not seeing *any* of the AX30 models here where I am.
07-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Well, that is curious. I haven't made an attempt to run the pie chart page through a translator, but maybe that chart covers only sales records for the past few months?

Which Sony cameras are you seeing mostly? I understand their previous triumvirate of entry-level cameras got them good market share, not sure how the remodeled ones are holding up. I'm certainly not seeing *any* of the AX30 models here where I am.
Yeah, I'm sure it probably is only recent sales.
And also it's only sales on kakaku, but still, don't remember seeing many of those Panasonic models.
Seen plenty of the P&S Panasonics.

About the Sony's, it's only in comparison with Panasonic.
Don't remember which models.

It's all Canon and Nikon, of course, but do see quite a few Pentax.
Went to a large festival a while ago, one of the top 3 festivals in Japan, and it was almost all Canon and Pentax. Lots of *ist and K100D's.

Funny old world the photography game.

07-08-2009, 03:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

And also it's only sales on kakaku, but still, don't remember seeing many of those Panasonic models.

Went to a large festival a while ago, one of the top 3 festivals in Japan, and it was almost all Canon and Pentax. Lots of *ist and K100D's.

Thanks for the insight. It's good to know that Pentax still manages to hold its own in their home market, though it might be telling that you saw quite a number of Pentax's old models still in use. Telling in the sense that there are still a lot of people who use Pentax, but they're not that much motivated to upgrade to Pentax's newer offerings. If Pentax can find a way to make those users upgrade their cameras, then maybe Pentax could see better results in those pie charts and end-of-year rankings.

As for Sony, I believe they did good in blitzing the entry-level segment with three models last year, but without nothing much new with the re-styled replacements (well, form factor and the UI look to be the biggest differences), I would think Sony would need an eyebrow-raising camera like the E-P1 and K-7 to remain number three by the end of the year. Just my two centavos.
07-09-2009, 04:32 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
WOW!! E-P1 got the 2nd place a total 19.3% sale last week

I guess other players can't ignore this market anymore.
07-09-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

So Hoya K-7 got 10th place behind 3 canon & 4 nikon

& Hoya K-7 sits behind last September 2008 launch Panasonic G-1.

Olympus did quite well to score 20% of overall sales its first month out.

Impressive. Oly almost sold as many E-P1 as nikon did total with their 4 cameras in top 10.

WOW!! E-P1 got the 2nd place a total 19.3% sale last week

I guess other players can't ignore this market anymore.
07-11-2009, 04:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I agree with your observations about Tokyo, mickey:
a) The K7 is all over the Yamanote sen, they clearly have bought prime space on the JR lines (where they will be seen by millions a day). The Bic Camera in Yurakucho and the Yodabashi Camera in Shinjuku have big wall posters up, too.
b) I also haven't seen many from the Panasonic G line. live downtown (in Shinagawa) and regularly am out on the streets especially for matsuri etc. I've seen a grand total of one Panasonic G1 (at Tokyo Disney Land). I have literally seen more TLR film cameras than that since the G1 was released.
c) I too routinely see Pentax gear among the sea of Canon/Nikon.

I'm very pleased that it's Pentax and Olympus that are stirring things up in the market this year. IMHO it would have been better to see the K7 much earlier but it's encouraging that the smaller players are innovating and not reaching for gimmicks.
07-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I agree with your observations about Tokyo, mickey:
a) The K7 is all over the Yamanote sen, they clearly have bought prime space on the JR lines (where they will be seen by millions a day). The Bic Camera in Yurakucho and the Yodabashi Camera in Shinjuku have big wall posters up, too.
b) I also haven't seen many from the Panasonic G line. live downtown (in Shinagawa) and regularly am out on the streets especially for matsuri etc. I've seen a grand total of one Panasonic G1 (at Tokyo Disney Land). I have literally seen more TLR film cameras than that since the G1 was released.
c) I too routinely see Pentax gear among the sea of Canon/Nikon.

I'm very pleased that it's Pentax and Olympus that are stirring things up in the market this year. IMHO it would have been better to see the K7 much earlier but it's encouraging that the smaller players are innovating and not reaching for gimmicks.
The K-7 is one heck of a camera. Pentax should be proud of it. The lone tragedy for the K-7 is that it shipped very close to the E-P1's own shipping date. Yes, innovation is good, like you said, as opposed to the smaller companies go out and simply copy what Canon and Nikon are doing. Everyone benefits from innovation.
07-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Thanks for providing the info. 8.7 is a good marketshare
07-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #15

alread down to no 5 today. >_<