Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #91
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,309
Benjikan, really like your image. Very creative and well done. Also like the presentation. It looks to be "sewn" on the frame. Nice.
Didn't take you long to figure out a way to get that 43! Will be interested in your perception of those extra 3mm. Can't imagine the fun you will have with the 10-17. You are so creative with normal lenses- can't wait to see the fisheye images. I don't use the 10-17 all the time. When I do its usually pretty wild.
If I ran Pentax, you would have all the lenses (well maybe not the 600 f4, have to economize somewhere). I would hope you would increase sales of them all by showing images to many, many other people. Also by talking about them on the net.
thanks
barondla

05-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #92
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Original Poster
Didn't Get It...

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Benjikan, really like your image. Very creative and well done. Also like the presentation. It looks to be "sewn" on the frame. Nice.
Didn't take you long to figure out a way to get that 43! Will be interested in your perception of those extra 3mm. Can't imagine the fun you will have with the 10-17. You are so creative with normal lenses- can't wait to see the fisheye images. I don't use the 10-17 all the time. When I do its usually pretty wild.
If I ran Pentax, you would have all the lenses (well maybe not the 600 f4, have to economize somewhere). I would hope you would increase sales of them all by showing images to many, many other people. Also by talking about them on the net.
thanks
barondla
Hello..

I didn't get the 43 or the 10-17. They gave me the remote controller. I didn't really want to ask them for those lenses, as they are samples for the press.
Ben
05-07-2007, 05:39 AM   #93
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,309
Oh, bummer. Well you could ask them in the future. He seemed ready to supply them.
thanks
barondla
05-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #94
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
Three years has passed, thought I'd revisit this insider info

Three years has passed, thought I'd revisit this insider info from Benjikan:





QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Hello Everybody...

I spent four and one half hours with the heads of Pentax today. Now before I share the news I can share with you at this time, there are a couple of issues I wish to address. Anyone wishing to purchase a K100 or K10D, do so. These models will be with us till at least next year. I would not make this announcement if I felt that it would affect negatively the sales of Pentax in any way, therefore this proviso. The two above cameras will be part of the line.

Here is what will be added and this does not include the 645D.

There will be two (2) you heard it, at least two new DSLR's coming out in the Fall, that will not conflict with the K100 or the K10D!

There will be a slew of new lenses.

Pentax is NOT going out of business. They have just opened factories in China and Vietnam and are investing heavily in R&D.

There is a new marketing approach that is being implemented that will orient the retailers towards Pentax, which will be very innovative to say the least. This approach will commence in the European territories.

Pentax France is the most robust of all of the other European companies and are doing extremely well.

I will also add that Pentax are working overtime to alleviate some of the growing pains that some of you have encountered and will find solutions asap.

And finally, Pentax needs all of our support and as a family Pentax will continue to respond on a more personal level than any other company I have ever had an affiliation with.

The "Salon de la Photo" in Paris is going to be an incredible event. We will be doing something that no other company has ever done and I must say that I spearheaded this project with the delight of all those at Pentax France. I will share more at the appropriate time.

Let's just say that it will be interactive and not virtual.

None the less, it felt great to be at Pentax today. The people I met were affable human and had a great sense of humor.

Ben


05-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #95
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 410
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Three years has passed, thought I'd revisit this insider info from Benjikan:
Well some of that completely-new-stuff was released... later. Remember the fuss about the K7 ? Also 645 finally made it too.

Anyway there is no point to resurrect this old thread.
05-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #96
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
I disagree, its good to reflect on the past to keep a handle on the future

I disagree, its good to reflect on the past to keep a handle on the future

Whats happened in three years?

Pentax got bought out, completely bought out.

Hoya said Pentax cameras division needs to partner with someone to compete in the rough seas ahead.

645D is happening, albeit in one country.

SDM problems still persist and are not officially recognized. Nor is a firmware solution offered to bypass bad SDM.

Simply painting budget dslrs in an array of colors has been the smartest business move for Hoya's Pentax.



QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Well some of that completely-new-stuff was released... later. Remember the fuss about the K7 ? Also 645 finally made it too.

Anyway there is no point to resurrect this old thread.
05-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #97
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I disagree, its good to reflect on the past to keep a handle on the future

Whats happened in three years?

Pentax got bought out, completely bought out.

Hoya said Pentax cameras division needs to partner with someone to compete in the rough seas ahead.

645D is happening, albeit in one country.

SDM problems still persist and are not officially recognized. Nor is a firmware solution offered to bypass bad SDM.

Simply painting budget dslrs in an array of colors has been the smartest business move for Hoya's Pentax.
May I ask why the hell your here, other than trolling?
05-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #98
Nubi
Guest




Thank you, Ben. What you did for us as very cool.

The moment I was done reading your post, I wondered how long it would take for some to start talking trash!! Getting very predictable around here, and that is ok; nothing wrong with dat.

So 2 DSLRs. This can still go both ways. Renewals of the current line up, or that one of them is FF. Very fun speculating.

Let me ask you this though.


Would you put more money in APS-C format lenses knowing what you know??

05-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #99
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
Dude, check the date...
05-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #100
Senior Member
dnaseigel's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rockford, IL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 179
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I disagree, its good to reflect on the past to keep a handle on the future

Whats happened in three years?

Pentax got bought out, completely bought out.

Hoya said Pentax cameras division needs to partner with someone to compete in the rough seas ahead.

645D is happening, albeit in one country.

SDM problems still persist and are not officially recognized. Nor is a firmware solution offered to bypass bad SDM.

Simply painting budget dslrs in an array of colors has been the smartest business move for Hoya's Pentax.
Do you have the same scope of knowledge of the focusing motor issues found in other brands? There are USM focus motor failures (my store had two more this week). I also solved three "My 7D doesn't focus right" issues by getting people to put the 28-135IS USM where it belongs...in the trash. That lens will not stand up to the scrutiny of the 18mp sensor. Imagine a company putting a lens that will absolutely cripple the image quality of their trophy camera into a kit and then selling mountains of these kits. Not that it bothers me mind you, I solved the three problems by selling L series lenses to replace the 28-135s that were only meant for film cameras. However these customers, one of whom was on his third camera with focus failure were completely stunned to find out that it was their BRAND NEW LENS that was the issue.

I am not picking on Canon; rather I am using one example to illustrate that pervasive problems exist with other camera brands. Just visit the forums populated by folks as passionate about their brand as folks here are about Pentax, and you will get a very good idea of what I mean. As a Pentax user, I do spend more time here than in other forums (I forget what the real plural is for forum), but as a photo retailer I spend plenty of time observing other brand's discussions. Couple that with my day to day experiences with equipment and the people who use it, and I can assure you that the problems that Pentax has experienced don't even come close to exceeding the proportion of the market share they hold.

It seems that the Pentax brand has caused you considerable consternation, and that is more than unfortunate. As an owner of all the DA* lenses that have operated failure free, I am baffled by all the problems folks have experienced. If you are presently using another brand, I would confidently say you will probably have little or no issue with it...unless you purchase one of their bugaboos.

Oh yeah, that last point you made was dead on. While you may think that Earl Scheibing a budget camera is a hokey way to make a buck, I remind you that making a buck is the sole point of a business enterprise. Fortunately for Pentax they colored up a kick-ass camera!
05-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #101
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,211
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Dude, check the date...
bigthumbsup and the camera model numbers. laugh

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
May I ask why the hell your here, other than trolling?
I've come to the conclusion that the word "Samsungian" is Korean for Necromancer.
05-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #102
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,838

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #103
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 410
QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
... I am using one example to illustrate that pervasive problems exist with other camera brands. ...
Refreshing point of view for forum whiners!
05-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #104
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
Thats funny Adam

Thats funny Adam

I'll keep this in mind when viewing the bottom of my page when it shows "similar thread" links.

Thats where this 3 year old thread came from.




QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
05-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #105
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
I haven't had any failures with Canon or Nikon lenses, yet

I haven't had any failures with Canon or Nikon lenses, yet.

I added Canon and then Nikon to my Pentax kit. One reason, full frame, another reason was my fear of SDM failure.

SDM is the best Pentax has to offer and I'll guess I am not the only Pentaxian who avoids these SDM lenses. As Pentax has, at most, three lenses in Amazons top 100 lenses they sell, I'd say SDM failures are well above average for Pentax' marketshare:

Amazon.com Camera & Photo Bestsellers: The most popular items on Amazon.com. Updated hourly.




QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
Do you have the same scope of knowledge of the focusing motor issues found in other brands? There are USM focus motor failures (my store had two more this week). I also solved three "My 7D doesn't focus right" issues by getting people to put the 28-135IS USM where it belongs...in the trash. That lens will not stand up to the scrutiny of the 18mp sensor. Imagine a company putting a lens that will absolutely cripple the image quality of their trophy camera into a kit and then selling mountains of these kits. Not that it bothers me mind you, I solved the three problems by selling L series lenses to replace the 28-135s that were only meant for film cameras. However these customers, one of whom was on his third camera with focus failure were completely stunned to find out that it was their BRAND NEW LENS that was the issue.

I am not picking on Canon; rather I am using one example to illustrate that pervasive problems exist with other camera brands. Just visit the forums populated by folks as passionate about their brand as folks here are about Pentax, and you will get a very good idea of what I mean. As a Pentax user, I do spend more time here than in other forums (I forget what the real plural is for forum), but as a photo retailer I spend plenty of time observing other brand's discussions. Couple that with my day to day experiences with equipment and the people who use it, and I can assure you that the problems that Pentax has experienced don't even come close to exceeding the proportion of the market share they hold.

It seems that the Pentax brand has caused you considerable consternation, and that is more than unfortunate. As an owner of all the DA* lenses that have operated failure free, I am baffled by all the problems folks have experienced. If you are presently using another brand, I would confidently say you will probably have little or no issue with it...unless you purchase one of their bugaboos.

Oh yeah, that last point you made was dead on. While you may think that Earl Scheibing a budget camera is a hokey way to make a buck, I remind you that making a buck is the sole point of a business enterprise. Fortunately for Pentax they colored up a kick-ass camera!
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
approach, company, france, k100, k10d, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, share, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good news from Hoya - SLR sales "sharply increased" gazonk Pentax News and Rumors 44 05-30-2010 03:30 PM
Error 2308 "guests" watching news & rumors?? jsherman999 Site Suggestions and Help 7 04-20-2009 10:54 AM
Holga Digital "News Flash" benjikan Pentax News and Rumors 27 06-12-2008 11:59 PM
"high iso noise reduction" function - good news? platinum Pentax News and Rumors 1 04-19-2008 11:45 AM
"Pentax Delays Digicam Launch After Fire" - news article ycl Pentax News and Rumors 9 10-30-2007 03:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top