Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
...The people I met were affable human and had a great sense of humor.
That sums up pretty much the Pentax community I found here!

Ben, I'm also curious as to what sensor size we are looking at for the upcoming DSLR models. Reason being, I'm looking to invest heavily in Pentax DA limiteds in the next few years (yes, years. I'm kinda short in cash! haha). I will upgrade cams at some point in the future (not in the short-term, though. I'm happy with my K10D), so I'm hoping I'd still be able to use the DA limiteds. Your thoughts?

All in all, good news for all of us.

05-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Apples and oranges?

Hello Mark;

One more thing...Comparing the new Pentax DSLR's to the K10D and K100D is like comparing apples to oranges. The K10D represents a formidable opponent to the Nikon D200 and Canon 30D and represents the best bang for the buck camera that exists today. As you know, it just won the prestigious "TIPA" award for Best Expert Camera for 2007.

Ben
Ben,
That's quite a statement, hope I am reading it right. The K10D and K100D are most defiantly the best bang for your buck on the market. Now if the 2 new models are separated from these, the speculation is mind boggling. I'm still betting on an APS-H type sensor as one of them. Dare I hope the other one would be more suitable for street photography? It appears I better start saving my money so my K10D can have both a big and little brother.

Regards,
05-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I second that

Hello Mark;

Thanks for your very well thought out remarks. I am committed to the K10D, as it represents a perfect platform for my magazine work. Think of the K10D as a tool for most applications, especially weddings as it produces excellent A3+ prints without a hitch. I would recommend you get the K10D as it will be available for quite some time. There will be several future firmware updates that will improve on already a very fine image capturing tool. I will be using the K10D shortly for a very unique and prestigious magazine that has a limited run of 5000 issues and sells for 45€. I will announce what the magazine is shortly and give out the web site. It will come out at the end on June, 2007. It will be printed on heavyweight archival paper. If I can use the K10D for this type of support, well, you know...

One more thing...Comparing the new Pentax DSLR's to the K10D and K100D is like comparing apples to oranges. The K10D represents a formidable opponent to the Nikon D200 and Canon 30D and represents the best bang for the buck camera that exists today. As you know, it just won the prestigious "TIPA" award for Best Expert Camera for 2007.

Ben
It rather amuses me that Pentax spent a long time and lots of yen expanding the K10s colour response only for a bunch of reviewers to vet its image quality based on its performance on a (limited gamut) monitor which cant display most of those colours (as opposed to a decent print).

What I mean is that the K10D is a very workmanlike all rounder which does a lot of things pretty well, and represents amazing value. If they bring out a new camera, thats just grand but does not make the K10D a bad camera overnight. I think both my bodies will be making great prints for a number of years yet.

Pentax will certainly bring out a 10MP upgrade for the K100 with the small size and no weather sealing but support for the new SSM lenses and maybe a D200+ competitor as well. However the K10D will probably remain their advanced expert grade pro-am tool till next spring at the earliest.
05-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #19

Thanks for sharing the info. I'm looking forward to see what comes next. I'd love to see something like the Sigma DP1 (compact, live view) with a K-mount. It would make a nice accessory for some of my limited lenses and would let me ditch my P&S. I may pick up another body if they come up with something good. I'm definitely going to pick up a few of those new lenses if they're as good as I'm hoping they will be.

05-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Ben,
Thanks for the news. I just yesterday sold the last of my Canon equipment. I have always prefered the Pentax lenses, but strayed away a few years ago.
It looks as if my decision to return to Pentax was the right thing to do at this
time. I am a freelance shooter, and I am looking foward to getting several of the new lenses. Thanks again for all the good information. Keep up the good work
Kent
05-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find it funny that the K10D came out about six months ago and so many people are already aching for a replacement, as if it were an old hag that didn't cut the mustard.
05-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I find it funny that the K10D came out about six months ago and so many people are already aching for a replacement, as if it were an old hag that didn't cut the mustard.
Not me. I personally would be happy if Pentax released nothing but lenses for the next two years. Especially if they could mix in a few lenses that I can afford.

Will

05-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Warning.. this msg contains pure speculation! ;-)

I'm not interested in the K1d, the K10d is enough for me.. BUT I would love it if one of the new models was a small DSLR like the Oly E400.. The Oly is nice but seems pointless to me without Pentax's pancake lenses.. It would certainly encourage me to buy my missing pancake too (DA40)..
05-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote

Pentax will certainly bring out a 10MP upgrade for the K100 with the small size and no weather sealing but support for the new SSM lenses and maybe a D200+ competitor as well. However the K10D will probably remain their advanced expert grade pro-am tool till next spring at the earliest.

Hi Steve,

You have me stumped by this paragraph

I get the K100/10MP/SSM part and there is no problem there.

However, the D200 competitor part vs K10D confuses me. As a hard core Pentaxian I think that the K10D matches up well but just a tad short of the D200. My understanding is that while the K10D will be around, there will be an upscaled
DSLR camera made that will exceed the D200/K10D standards outright.

Have I been misled in my conversations or am I misreading your direction here.
(It wouldn't be the first time I've missed the obvious in my life )

Stephen
05-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #25

Hello Mark;

Thanks for your very well thought out remarks. I am committed to the K10D, as it represents a perfect platform for my magazine work. Think of the K10D as a tool for most applications, especially weddings as it produces excellent A3+ prints without a hitch. I would recommend you get the K10D as it will be available for quite some time. There will be several future firmware updates that will improve on already a very fine image capturing tool. I will be using the K10D shortly for a very unique and prestigious magazine that has a limited run of 5000 issues and sells for 45€. I will announce what the magazine is shortly and give out the web site. It will come out at the end on June, 2007. It will be printed on heavyweight archival paper. If I can use the K10D for this type of support, well, you know...

Ben
Thanks for the response, Ben!

I've had my eye on the K10D for some time, but obviously my curiosity was peaked about the future. Your praise and skillful use of it is certainly a great recommendation! Despite being sidetracked for a bit, as soon as I light in one place for a moment, a new shiney K10D will be a priority. Even including one of the new DA* lenses and some appropriate flashes (my old stuff really needs an update), the entire kit should still come in much cheaper than a Canon 5D with a decent lens (and be more versatile). Plus, it'll be fun to use some of my old glass.

Again, thanks for your input. I'm really looking forward to seeing that mag in June! Your work certainly speaks for itself. I actually pointed it out to some very impressed colleagues in Italy a few weeks ago.

Best regards,
Mark

BTW, good to see *isteve being his helpful self over here as well!
05-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Not me. I personally would be happy if Pentax released nothing but lenses for the next two years. Especially if they could mix in a few lenses that I can afford.

Will
Yeah Will, you hit it on the head... I have not even begun to explore the possibilities in this k10D.

Ben tell it from me, that I think Pentax needs to stop the speculation, release a replacement when the use by date on this wonderful K10D is closer.

They want more sales? Firmware updates to fix nagging problems and enhance the experience with a winning model we already have would do it for me.

Give us more high quality affordable lenses with a reasonable level of availability, if we only have quirky primes, and old film zooms, Pentax will remain a niche player. The competition has some with their name on them, the VR series for instance from that other company.

In my opinion, distributors having to source lenses from Sigma, Tamron etc for kit lenses is sending the wrong message to the consumer.

I would like to see the 'Star' mid range pro quality lenses as soon as possible at a price that does not require a house mortgage, optimized for the APS-C based cameras, glad to see there are two on the way.

Give us Pentax accessories such as ring flashes, digital optimized flash units, multi button wireless remotes with focus etc.

And to show off our gear with pride, camera cases and merchandise. This may seem frivolous, but it works...

Just my opinion, and feedback I have noted from two of my friends who have purchased K10D's on my recommendation.

The future of Pentax is here now, and it is looking good!!

Phil
05-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #27
wll
Veteran Member

Ben, Thanks for the Report

That puts my mind to ease a lot. From what you said, it sounds Pentax is stronger than the reports let on.

Thank you again.

wll
05-04-2007, 03:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Ben, thanks for sharing but I just wish to point out new DSLRs from Pentax is indeed an old news..

Indeed, Pentax's engineers' chief had previously disclosed their plan and intention already, they said "one new replacement model per year" and otherwise it will be too long for the product cycle:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: PMA Disappointment (but there is hope)

So, now that their target cannot be met, if only two new models will arrive not until fall 07. At least the K100D has been more than 1.5 years old when new model arrives.

Moreover, I don't believe that the K100 and K10 can still last to early next year, they are simply outdated and few new buyers will be interested in them. For those who are interested, most of them would have already bought it.

Honestly speaking, the key concern on Pentax now is just about if Pentax can get throught the crisis on June 22, when it will decide if Pentax will be swallowed by Hoya or not:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Internal Struggle within Pentax Escalates

If there is no conclusion on the issue and not even to mention about confirmaton on if the Pentax camera division will survive or not, I think no plan of any future camera product development can actually be implemented and come true. Enough said.

At last, the DA Star zooms, which were targeted to be available in Dec. 2006 in the previous Pentax published roadmap have already been delayed for two times and now it is said at fall July 07. Yet no body knows if in fall July the lenses will really come, or not.

In short, when Pentax's headquarters in Japan is now in great trouble and instability, I can't see what anyone in the branch office anywhere outside Japan says can be taken very seriously as the uncertainty factors prevail, very frankly.
05-04-2007, 04:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Moreover, I don't believe that the K100 and K10 can still last to early next year, they are simply outdated and few new buyers will be interested in them.
Outdated ?? Give me a break !! The K10D was released at the end of november last year. It is not even 6 months old, and its feature set still beats the crap out of the comparable offerings from Nikon & Canon. Actually, there is *nothing* comparable at its price point.

The K100D is a bit older, but I don't see how it is outdated either.
05-04-2007, 04:43 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
THANKS..and what else?

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Ben, thanks for sharing but I just wish to point out new DSLRs from Pentax is indeed an old news..

Indeed, Pentax's engineers' chief had previously disclosed their plan and intention already, they said "one new replacement model per year" and otherwise it will be too long for the product cycle:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: PMA Disappointment (but there is hope)

So, now that their target cannot be met, if only two new models will arrive not until fall 07. At least the K100D has been more than 1.5 years old when new model arrives.

Moreover, I don't believe that the K100 and K10 can still last to early next year, they are simply outdated and few new buyers will be interested in them. For those who are interested, most of them would have already bought it.

Honestly speaking, the key concern on Pentax now is just about if Pentax can get throught the crisis on June 22, when it will decide if Pentax will be swallowed by Hoya or not:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Internal Struggle within Pentax Escalates

If there is no conclusion on the issue and not even to mention about confirmaton on if the Pentax camera division will survive or not, I think no plan of any future camera product development can actually be implemented and come true. Enough said.

At last, the DA Star zooms, which were targeted to be available in Dec. 2006 in the previous Pentax published roadmap have already been delayed for two times and now it is said at fall July 07. Yet no body knows if in fall July the lenses will really come, or not.

In short, when Pentax's headquarters in Japan is now in great trouble and instability, I can't see what anyone in the branch office anywhere outside Japan says can be taken very seriously as the uncertainty factors prevail, very frankly.

Thanks for the insights. Where do you get your informations from? I doubt that under the circumstances that PENTAX are in a position that might be considered too dire. The fact that PENTAX are investing heavily in all of their future "PMA" type shows is indicative of their forward and positive thinking about their future. None the less, that is only your opinion. Thanks for sharing it with all of us, even though it casts a dark paradigm over the mind set of potential Pentax users
Closed Thread