Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Press Releases

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
If one has followed the links of my articles, it can be seen that the sources of information are from Reuters, Japanese Yomiuri Daily Online, Bloombleg and Asahi News and etc., of which the original articles have all been linked to and posted.

Minolta did invest heavily before they were sold to Konica, remember the 7s and A1 prosumers? KM did invest heavily in their new DSLR lineup, namely the D7D (M7D) and the D5D (M5D) with new lens lineup which are "co-developed" with Tamron, but then?

On the other hand, can we see some lights of the similarity of the Minolta case as what happens to Pentax now?

Of course, my posts constitute my opinions :-) But for the dark paradigm you supposed "created" by my posts is not a true case. I have quoted facts with *open* public sources of information, but not "insider" news.

You are quoting highly controlled press releases. That is news with a very heavy bias depending on who the messenger is. I guess you could say the same of me from your vantage point. I guess we will see where the tree falls shortly. I'm betting on a Pentax win here. But then again, it is in my interest, isn't it?

05-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good Points But..

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
In fact, Ben's new news for his recent talk with Pentax France is old news when one has seen the Japanese DC Watch Impress's interview with Pentax chief engineer of their design team before.

For those who haven't followed my blog entry links I provided, I post here again for the direct link for the interview article:-

?yPMA07?z1”N”¼‚̃‚ƒfƒ‹ƒ`ƒFƒ“ƒWƒTƒCƒNƒ‹‚Í’·‚·‚¬‚é (in Japanese)

and here is a human (not machine) translation of it by our forum pal:-

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/4337-translation-p...-strategy.html

Well, we can see that again Pentax's target has now been "postponed", otherwise, we shall be able to see the K100D replacement by July this summer! but not in late 2007 as Ben tells us. Fortunately, the two new DSLRs are still there according to what Ben says..

But then how much hope we should put on such a rumour and even that paperware specs are not available yet? (Sorry, ben, no offence intended, but by definition it's clearly a rumour). And, what do you think a quote from someone from Pentax France is more reliable or the interview with the Chief Engineer published by the famous website DC Watch Impress of Japan?

For anyone who can't believe and not convinced, just think about it..
Good points but, the Pentax people at Pentax France had just gotten back from meetings at Head office for Europe in Hamburg and Head Office in Japan. So I guess between the time they had the meeting and the article you have cited from DC watch, something occurred. Look Rice, we know there are issues that have to be solved in regards to the present conundrum. But as a company Pentax has years of experience dealing with these types of maneuvers. The decisions made by Pentax will be executive ones with the collaboration of all of the affiliates throughout the world. If Pentax fails, they will fail. If not they won't. It all comes down to, will Pentax continue as an entity or will they fall by the wayside as Minolta did. The situation that Pentax is presently in is nothing like the circumstances preceding the demise of Minolta. This I am sure you can recognize.

None the less, your impressions are valid given your limited access to information. The information that is filtered to the press for release is highly scripted by Executives at Pentax with the knowledge and understanding that the information given will be in the public domain.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 05-04-2007 at 11:23 AM.
05-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Look..

QuoteOriginally posted by klopus Quote
Huh? Ben was talking about his personal face to face communication with Pentax brass (and not only French). In my book it beats in trust and relevance "talking about published news and/or rumours" rehashed by some biased blog.
Before I made these announcements, I made sure that what I could say is what I could say. I told my guy that there were concerns about Pentax. I asked what I could share with all of you. That I believe was a risk on my part, as it could have jeopardized my relationship with them. I took the initiative to share with them many of the concerns voiced here with the goal of getting some tangible answers. So yes, what I have told you is scripted. I must respect the confidentiality of my meetings and everything I did post was considered acceptable at that moment in time. I cannot control nor have any influence on the waves that may occur in the future. But I will say this. The more people out there who want Pentax to survive, who voice their intent in a concrete manner, the better the chance that it will do so. That is a fact. Consumer confidence drops = Loss in Sales. Confidence up = Increased Sales. It is as base and pedestrian as that. That is the only reason I do not appreciate Rice's posts. It is the "Universal Soup" that we are talking about. Once the thought leaves the mind and becomes tangible, the possibility exists. It is the whole concept of "Remote Viewing" or being "Open to the Possibility" and to a greater degree "Photon" activity. Look at a "Photon" it takes on life,. Ignore it it becomes "inanimate"..Pardon the diatribe. My other passion is "Quantum Physics" A hack, but none the less one of my passions.

You want to fail, you will. You want to succeed you will....

Ben
05-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did..But.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
That reminds me:
Ben: did any of the Pentax folks you talked to say anything about addressing the image quality quirks that folks have dug up in various forums? Specifically:
- the weird colored dots in the imaging-resource review (which I think is also the same manifestation as the color moire pattern mentioned in ricehigh's blog)
- the VPN noise in darker areas (yep, I know other cameras also have issues so I think it might by a Sony sensor "feature")
- the HPN noise w/ the battery grip (interference from using the battery in the grip)
The grip issue probably requires a hardware fix (bad shielding). The colored dots issue also probably is, but they might luck out and be able to hack it in firmware...ditto VPN.

If the K10D is going to be around for a year, someone has to bring this up...
I did to a lesser degree than I would have liked to. They did say that they were working on firmware updates and address the most pressing issues. Unfortunately it was a working meeting that dealt primarily with the "Salon de Photos" (French PMA) in October and how we are going to choreograph that event.

Ben

05-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #65
Inactive Account

Woah.. lot to read here...

2 things..

what's the PMA thing? Is it in Paris? Is it a show? I'm always looking for excuses to go to Paris... it's so easy on Eurostar... and I have the use of an apartment there.

Also, I really think it's good (and more important than bringing out new cameras) that they are goin gto try and raise the profile/educate retailers to sell Pentax cameras. Very few retailers are intersted in selling you one as you all know.
05-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"Le salon de Photos"

QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
Woah.. lot to read here...

2 things..

what's the PMA thing? Is it in Paris? Is it a show? I'm always looking for excuses to go to Paris... it's so easy on Eurostar... and I have the use of an apartment there.

Also, I really think it's good (and more important than bringing out new cameras) that they are goin gto try and raise the profile/educate retailers to sell Pentax cameras. Very few retailers are intersted in selling you one as you all know.
Hi Christian;

It is like the PMA or other major shows throughout the world. It is held in Paris between October 3 and the 7th 2007. It is Huge. I will be there for the full duration and you can come and see me. I'll tell you to Faw- Off..Just kidding, I love "Father Ted" remember? None the less, I think it should be a great event. The stand is next to Nikon and across from Canon...Ouch...

Pentax will start doing the Press Releases about the actual event about six weeks before it opens. The press release for the overall show has already been announced on the Official Pentax France website here:

Division PHOTO - Actualités - PENTAX France

Best Wishes
Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 05-04-2007 at 12:14 PM.
05-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I did to a lesser degree than I would have liked to. They did say that they were working on firmware updates and address the most pressing issues.
Thanks, Ben. And I do appreciate you trying to be a liason :-)
If you do get a chance to ask someone w/ enough influence at Pentax about these issues, please do. They don't seem to be one-off problems, though they might not affect everyone...

05-04-2007, 03:32 PM   #68
Veteran Member

See you in October.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Hi Christian;

It is like the PMA or other major shows throughout the world. It is held in Paris between October 3 and the 7th 2007. It is Huge. I will be there for the full duration and you can come and see me. I'll tell you to Faw- Off..Just kidding, I love "Father Ted" remember? None the less, I think it should be a great event. The stand is next to Nikon and across from Canon...Ouch...

Best Wishes
Ben
Ben, I plan to be there for one of the days at least - I will make a point of tracking you down and buying you a beer for being such a helpful chap. I dont know if you are a fan of Monty Python, or if you know the film Holy Grail, but we can wave at the Canon stand and "fart in their general direction"
05-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Are you Kidding.."Monte Python" My Favorite!

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Ben, I plan to be there for one of the days at least - I will make a point of tracking you down and buying you a beer for being such a helpful chap. I dont know if you are a fan of Monty Python, or if you know the film Holy Grail, but we can wave at the Canon stand and "fart in their general direction"
I am a "Monte Python" Junkie...It will be great to see you. I will be present every day from around 10:00 till 19:00. You can't miss me. I'll be the guy with the shaved head and a PENTAX name tag. That's great we'll hang. You might have to stick around with me at the stand as I will be demonstrating some new stuff and helping out Photogs' doing other things that I can't say what as yet. None the less, I get drunk sniffing the cork screw of "Mogen David" wine, so a Coke Light will do.

As to Canon they are one stand down on the opposite side of Pentax and right next to Nikon. OH and I do HOPE uncle "Phil" Moskowitz shows up. We have so much talk about. It has been such a long time.
05-04-2007, 10:41 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bravobrown Quote
It's very easy to preach doom and gloom and get lots of attention without having any inside knowledge (just look at Al Gore).
Just what this thread needs. An ignorant comment by one of the few who still doesn't realize Bush is a sleazy, cheating, yahoo moron.
05-05-2007, 12:13 AM   #71

I would trust a Pentax User before a Pentax Abuser

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Thanks, Ben. And I do appreciate you trying to be a liason :-)
Thanks for the info Ben, best direct line I have seen in a while, and from a serious user. Keep up the good work!

Phil
05-05-2007, 12:36 AM   #72
Inactive Account

Thanks for the info Ben. The news about the K100 isn't so great (It means I really have to get off my butt and buy one this year and the prices may drop even lower like they did with the DL (which is a good thing) WOW you can have your cake and eat it too.
05-05-2007, 12:41 AM   #73
Veteran Member

More Cautious About The News

As much as I'd like to have a positive attitude about all this, it really sounds to me like K10D users will very soon fall from the status of protective older brother to one of neglected middle child. The media's focus will be off the K10D, so Pentax will have little incentive to pay it much attention either. At the same time, unless the K10D occupies the middle position in some unique way, consumers will likewise have little reason to pay it much attention, pretty much assuring this camera's quick demise soon thereafter - even more so given the company's apparent focus on new cameras each year over any clearly stated longterm support for existing cameras or users. Ultimately, unless Pentax plans to have numerous models available, some overlapping others, the planned accelerated introduction of new models sounds like a recipe for a very short market life-cycle for each of those models. How users will fare in all this may not be fully apparent for perhaps another year or two.

stewart
05-05-2007, 01:04 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Just what this thread needs. An ignorant comment by one of the few who still doesn't realize Bush is a sleazy, cheating, yahoo moron.
Where the #$(#*$&!(*& did that come from? If anyone is showing their ignorance, that would most certainly be you. Alluding to Gore's ignorance as example has NOTHING to do with my personal feelings about W one way or the other (who btw actually has a higher IQ score). As a matter of fact all real scientists know what a farce Gore has been putting on with absolutely no understanding and pitifully little knowledge of the issues he constantly brings up, in an ineffectual grab at garnering more attention (yes, I trained as a scientist, and everyone in my family are scientists in various fields). If you have been swallowing his drivel, then you have had the wool pulled firmly over your eyes.

What a lovely addition you've given the thread. Bush-bashing? Please, this is supposed to be about Pentax! (mini-rant over)
05-05-2007, 01:08 AM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by bravobrown Quote
Where the #$(#*$&!(*& did that come from? If anyone is showing their ignorance, that would most certainly be you. Alluding to Gore's ignorance as example has NOTHING to do with my personal feelings about W one way or the other (who btw actually has a higher IQ score). As a matter of fact all real scientists know what a farce Gore has been putting on with absolutely no understanding and pitifully little knowledge of the issues he constantly brings up, in an ineffectual grab at garnering more attention (yes, I trained as a scientist, and everyone in my family are scientists in various fields). If you have been swallowing his drivel, then you have had the wool pulled firmly over your eyes.

What a lovely addition you've given the thread. Bush-bashing? Please, this is supposed to be about Pentax! (mini-rant over)
And you were initially Gore-bashing, no matter how you want to defend it. NEITHER comments really have any business being in a photography forum... so maybe we can just leave it at that? Two wrongs shouldn't make a fight.
Closed Thread