Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For perceived quality, the Samsung lenses will almost certainly be branded Schneider Kreuznach. Unfortunately, a quick look at the Schneider Kreuznach lenses on Samsung compacts isn't encouraging, although that could be due to sensor and processing rather than optics. At any rate, it shouldn't be a surprise that Samsung picks another Korean company to be their manufacturer. Korea, in my opinion, is a high tech hotbed capable of producing first-class cameras and optics--if they want to go that route. Time will tell.

07-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
...as long as they got very good optics, performance, built and with K-mount compatibility at a cheap price...
NX won't be using the K-mount. Of course, this doesn't prevent Samsung from providing a K-mount adapter ... and I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if they do that. Olympus offers an OM adapter because there are lots of happy customers of Olympus film products to tap into. But will Samsung try to tap into the Pentax customer base? Either way, this is moot because what glass they offer with the NX won't be compatible with K-mount bodies.
07-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
I think the Pentax/Hoya factory in Vietnam that also make Pentax DA lenses is a safe bet. Particularly since my Samsung/Schneider 50-200 is labeled "Made in Vietnam"
I wasn't thinking of the Schneider's with the K mount but the Schneiders used on other Samsung cameras and the Kodak's. I have a 35mm Samsung film P&S with a Schneider zoom which is an excellent performer. I bought it around 15 yrs ago as a jacket pocket camera to be used on motorcycle trips.
07-12-2009, 04:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You're right of course. But usualy people, and hence companies, will focus easily on perceived quality (brand names) rather than real quality. Which is exacty why thhis samsung deal is surprising.
Agreed on branding. I guess it'll just take time, good products, and serious marketing for people to consider Optron-tec as an equal lens maker to the Japanese and German companies.

In addition to the surprise factor, it also adds an element of intrigue if Samsung originally pitched the (m)APS-C concept to Pentax, hoping they can get a name lens manufacturer to build the lens system, but Pentax refused, or if they kept Pentax in the dark all along. Well, I guess that's for conspiracists to determine for themselves.

07-14-2009, 04:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

The label "Samsung lens" on Samsung's p&s means a lens manufactured by Optron-Tec. To my knowledge, they are also the maker of the Schneider-Kreuznach labeled lenses on Samsung p&s digicams.

There is no doubt that Optron-Tec can manufacture lenses.
The big question is - who is designing them? Optron-Tec, or someone else?
I don't know.
07-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
or if they kept Pentax in the dark all along.
Pentax has stated in interviews that they had no knowledge of the NX project and only learned about it from the media.