http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1001&message=32351875

07-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mmm ?
07-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, if I wasn't already convinced that m4/3's was the way to go I sure am now. m4/3's has Olympus lenses, that IMHO along with Pentax are the best of the Japanese brands. Panasonic has proven to be a competent lens maker (when including in camera lens correction). Now the hot rumor is Leica will be making some high end glass for the system. On the other hand, the NX system will have...drumroll. Optron-Tec? That sounds like some cheap battery manufacturer.

Samsung needs Pentax, and Pentax needs Samsung. It's a shame Pentax is so ass-backwards technology wise that they can't see this kind of camera has a much larger potential user base then DSLR's do.
07-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Well, I like better when they're so ass-backwards technology wise, and deliver cameras (&lenses) I would buy, rather than being on the "cutting edge", and make one of those EVF thingies

07-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Wow, if I wasn't already convinced that m4/3's was the way to go I sure am now. m4/3's has Olympus lenses, that IMHO along with Pentax are the best of the Japanese brands. Panasonic has proven to be a competent lens maker (when including in camera lens correction). Now the hot rumor is Leica will be making some high end glass for the system. On the other hand, the NX system will have...drumroll. Optron-Tec? That sounds like some cheap battery manufacturer.

Samsung needs Pentax, and Pentax needs Samsung. It's a shame Pentax is so ass-backwards technology wise that they can't see this kind of camera has a much larger potential user base then DSLR's do.
I agreewith your feelings but then the contract might be only on a manufacturing part. Designs may come from elseswhere.

After all, Cosina is known to sell pretty cheap lenses for SLRs but they also manufacture Voigtlander and Zeiss Z lenses and thse are actually pretty well made.
07-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Schneider Kreuznach, anyone?

Although, granted, all the lenses they've released with the Sammy SLRs have been straight rebadges of Pentax gear, I'm wondering if they're going to pull what Sony's been doing with Carl Zeiss, or what Panasonic's been doing with Leica - close collabration, if not in manufacturing then in design.
07-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Why does this surprise anyone? Samsung has no lens making expertise, they were going to have to outsource it to someone. Apparently they already have a relationship with Optron-Tec, rumor is that's who actually manufactures their P&S lenses.

07-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
Why does this surprise anyone? Samsung has no lens making expertise, they were going to have to outsource it to someone. Apparently they already have a relationship with Optron-Tec, rumor is that's who actually manufactures their P&S lenses.
There is no surprise with the deal, the surprise is a deal with a coany nobod knows about (rightfully or not).
07-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Dealings with "unknown" companies really isn't much of a surprise, it's like Nikon using Renesas for some of their sensor fabrication. I mean, sure, we've never heard of Renesas or Optron Tec, but in the industry they're probably fairly well known.
07-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, the name brand of the manufacturer doesn't mean anything, it's all down to the (as yet unseen) image quality.
07-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I do recall that back then, people thought very poorly of Japanese lenses, and only German lenses are fit to be used by professionals.

If Optron-tec can churn out good lenses, I don't see why people shouldn't consider them just because they're not a Japanese and German company.
07-11-2009, 06:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yeah, the name brand of the manufacturer doesn't mean anything, it's all down to the (as yet unseen) image quality.
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I do recall that back then, people thought very poorly of Japanese lenses, and only German lenses are fit to be used by professionals.

If Optron-tec can churn out good lenses, I don't see why people shouldn't consider them just because they're not a Japanese and German company.
You're right of course. But usualy people, and hence companies, will focus easily on perceived quality (brand names) rather than real quality. Which is exacty why thhis samsung deal is surprising.
07-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You're right of course. But usualy people, and hence companies, will focus easily on perceived quality (brand names) rather than real quality. Which is exacty why thhis samsung deal is surprising.
There is always a "perceived quality" with a brand name but that is no guarantee of quality. Any optics company is capable of making a very good lens if they put the effort in. There have been may third party "cheap" lenses made through the years that turned out to be excellent performers. There are also a few with name brands that turned out to be real dogs. Who really makes those Schneider lenses anyhow? Optron-tec may very well be manufacturing some of those"name brand " lenses. No matter what, this camera and its lenses will be thoroughly tested and the results will be known. Samsung wants to be a player in the "high quality" camera market so I doubt they will try to cut very many corners.
07-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

sounds good to me. as long as they got very good optics, performance, built and with K-mount compatibility at a cheap price , I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. a competition now and then would be really beneficial and gives options to consumers on what lens to buy. this would surely make an impact to the prices of Pentax glasses.
07-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Who really makes those Schneider lenses anyhow?
I think the Pentax/Hoya factory in Vietnam that also make Pentax DA lenses is a safe bet. Particularly since my Samsung/Schneider 50-200 is labeled "Made in Vietnam"