Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #31
Forum Member

Manual control in Video!

Also a noiseless mode that blurs the hell out of photos for the whiners that don't like detail.

07-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I really want the ability to bypass SDM and use the screw drive to focus DA* lenses! That would be a simple firmware change. In fact, that is the way the firmware was in the original k20d before the upgrade to I think 1.02.
07-13-2009, 06:18 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
I absolutely agree, this is a complete buzzkill on a camera I crave. I didn't preorder because I'm not sure I can deal with the point selection setup.
That's a pretty extreme reaction to what is, in reality, a pretty small nitpik with the equipment.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 07-13-2009 at 04:56 PM.
07-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fishy Quote
A minor gripe I have with the grip (on my K10D) is pressing the shutter button on it by accident. It would be so nice if the grip controls are only activated if the camera is rotated...
That is actually a very clever little wish. It's one of those minor irritations that you just wish would go away.
I find it a problem mostly when I am reviewing pictures and I bump the shutter button and turn off the screen.

One thing I've noticed on this thread is that most of the fixes we want are real nitpiks. Pentax has done a pretty decent job of getting this camera right, right from the start.

07-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #35
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think so and we'll all get used to the new controls for the most part. But it's a wish list. Nothing here would stop me from buying this camera and I will in a couple of months.

I was going to post the same thing PentaxPoke suggested. Make the RAW button a FN button that the user can program to be the RAW button or the AF lamp or any number of features. Maybe even have it toggle the feature you want so one hit gives you the RAW choice displayed on the rear LCD and you can use a thumb wheel to select Jpeg, RAW or RAW+. Next button push is center point AF and the rear pad becomes your selector. Next would be AF assist on/off and the rear LCD shows the selection. Next would the screw drive ON/OFF displayed on the rear LCD and so on. The setting stays locked in even if the camera is turned off.

I would guess that most of you, like me don't use the RAW button that much. I don't want to loose the function but it's not as required as some things we might use.
07-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #36
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Firmware 1.1 will be real. I think it will be soon.
07-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That's a pretty extreme reaction to what is, in reality, a pretty small nitpik with the equipment.
How do you deal with the frustration of driving to work, dealing with coworkers and life in general with that sort of tolerance level?
So let me get this straight. I make a comment stating my opinion, in a wishlist thread, and you not only critique that opinion, but extend that critique to a general question of my character?

Last edited by junyo; 07-13-2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Why bother?
07-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

So let me get this straight. I make a comment stating my opinion, in a wishlist thread, and you not only critique that opinion, but extend that critique to a general question of my character?
No, I was trying to make a point by taking the situation to it's illogical extreme. The K-7 isn't perfect, but I don't think the present set up with the operation of the AF sensors is reason to eschew the camera completely. It has enough going for it to get past this, or at least I think it does.

Sorry that my humor offended.
07-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #39
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
K-7 is Very good camera and very good work of Pentax. But, need to improve some nuances.
07-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
No, I was trying to make a point by taking the situation to it's illogical extreme. The K-7 isn't perfect, but I don't think the present set up with the operation of the AF sensors is reason to eschew the camera completely. It has enough going for it to get past this, or at least I think it does.

Sorry that my humor offended.
Well, I apologize if I misread the attempt at humor. The focus point selection is one of my most used controls, therefore it's a big deal (to me). Making it more difficult to perform a function I consider essential makes the camera significantly less useful (to me). From everything I've seen the K7 is a nice camera, and while I would love to upgrade, it's not like I have major issues with the IQ of my K10 (I waited out the K20 because I didn't see the need). Which then begs the question, why bother spending the money and having a camera that's harder to use for how/what I shoot? YMMV. Unless they can 'fix' it, which then renders my concern a moot point.
07-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by fishy Quote
A minor gripe I have with the grip (on my K10D) is pressing the shutter button on it by accident. It would be so nice if the grip controls are only activated if the camera is rotated...
nice suggestion!
07-14-2009, 06:37 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I apologize if I misread the attempt at humor. The focus point selection is one of my most used controls, therefore it's a big deal (to me). Making it more difficult to perform a function I consider essential makes the camera significantly less useful (to me). From everything I've seen the K7 is a nice camera, and while I would love to upgrade, it's not like I have major issues with the IQ of my K10 (I waited out the K20 because I didn't see the need). Which then begs the question, why bother spending the money and having a camera that's harder to use for how/what I shoot? YMMV. Unless they can 'fix' it, which then renders my concern a moot point.
It's actually a pretty big deal for me, as it is something I use as SOP. The operation is not quick and intuitive as it works at present, and is definitely broken.
I learned pretty quickly to work with the function as it is, it is unhandy because the 4 way switch reverts to submenu operation with frustrating frequency (it seems like any button push other than the shutter resets the controls), so you need to pay attention to the viewfinder icons and push the OK button as needed.

I understand that the first firmware update will have it fixed.
07-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #43
AM2
Forum Member

Here's mine...

1. Allow selection of focus points without having to press OK button first. For example, by default the 4 buttons for WB, Shooting mode, Flash and Image tone should select the focus point, but become activated once you press OK. The reverse of what is currently the case.

2. Allow choice of using the +/- button to operate the top-panel light.

3. Live View mode should not disengage after you preview an image after a shot is taken, should only disengage upon pressing the LV button a second time.

4. We should have more choices in assigning functions to the AF button, for example, Spot Metering, when you press it, camera spot meters and then goes back to the hard-set metering mode after the AF button is released.

That's about it from me, for now.
07-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Geez guys,

Firmware fixes needed, that are not mentioned

1. Manual shutter control and iso in movie mode
2. Fix the wireless Pttl
3. allow movie mode to record with the lcd turned off ( saves batteries )
07-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #45
AM2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Geez guys,

Firmware fixes needed, that are not mentioned

1. Manual shutter control and iso in movie mode
2. Fix the wireless Pttl
3. allow movie mode to record with the lcd turned off ( saves batteries )
Yeah I agree with the manual settings in the movie mode, these changes will make this camera really attractive for semi-pro movie makers and would make it an excellent tool for short films.

I don't know what the problem with the wireless-PTTL, tried it a couple of times, seemed to work OK with my 540. Something I missed?