Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A stereo audio meter overlay when in movie mode with the ability to turn the input level up/down by turning the front wheel dial. Or turn auto mic gain off to remove that crappy high pitch humm/hiss.

Also to be able to press info to enlarge a small square which is movable around the screen so you can check focus like when in liveview but we need to see the background picture maybe transparent to keep everything in the frame at the same time.

08-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #107

I may be repeating myself (and others), but after taking the camera on a holiday and some real world use these are my gripes:

- Make the green button a universal "reset to auto" button (i.e. press EV comp + green button = 0 compensation, menu item + green button = reset to default, delete + green button = confirmation for card format, green button while in drive mode selection = single frame mode, and so on...)

- Top LCD backlight "manual" mode a la K20!

- Make the info/status screen remember its last state when the camera switches off (I want the info screen to be off usually but still accessible when I need it - if it's switched off by pressing the info button a couple of times, it always turns itself back on after the camera goes into powersave, which kills my low-light vision and is damn annoying. The only solution right now is to disable it entirely)

- Make the live view button have a slight delay before it activates (like the RAW button) or make it "double click". I keep hitting the damn thing when I mean to switch AF points, and it's not as if switching to LV is something anyone needs to do in a split second.
In fact, I would *love* it if live view could be demoted to a menu option and the button customized for something actually useful...

- In a similar vein, the RAW button is *begging* to be user-customizable. Mike seriously needs his damn bracketing button.

- Some sort of quick manual toggle for the AF-assist beam - it's too slow to kick in when needed and takes some time to disable when using it would be rude or disruptive. Maybe an option to tie beam+AF to the AF button and no-beam+AF to shutter half-press.
08-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PolishMike Quote
- Make the live view button have a slight delay before it activates (like the RAW button) or make it "double click".
I like your other suggestions but am against delays. Double clicks may invoke different functionality but should not be necessary in general.
It seems that you either need to find a way to avoid the LV button or really need it to be placed somewhere else.

If LV really became programmable, would you like to see it requiring a long press or double press? I wouldn't.

QuoteOriginally posted by PolishMike Quote
Maybe an option to tie beam+AF to the AF button and no-beam+AF to shutter half-press.
That wouldn't be a good idea as different people have different ways of using AF and the AF assist light should not get in their way. Always a bad idea to couple functionality, as it is done with AF-S vs AF-C for example (in that AF-S also implies focus priority and AF-C implies shutter priority but one should really be able to select the priority mode independently from the single vs continuous focusing mode).
08-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #109

I'm just making suggestions for how I personally use the camera - I can see the problem with coupling AF light to the AF button, but this is the only way I can see of solving the issue which would work for myself. I think giving the user menu options for all combinations (AF on/off, focus/shutter priority, AF beam on/off) independently for shutter half press and AF button press would be ideal, but I can see why Pentax avoid such a quagmire of menu options.

I do really wish the LV button would go away - I'll eventually get used to it, but large fingers, and often needing to switch AF points while looking through the viewfinder mean that currently I do hit it every now and again. Does anyone honestly use LV besides tripod work?

If the button was programmable, I would indeed like it to be instant for two reasons - I might then actually be inclined to use it and, secondly, I would set it to something that does not blank my viewfinder, rendering me unable to take a picture if pressed.

Also, I just realised that the green button does in fact already reset the EV compensation if used together with the +/- button. Well done Pentax.

08-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #110

I miss the SR and Bracketing buttons, but will learn to live with that. I love the the lock on the mode dial.
I usually use two cameras, and one is carried over the sholder to sit at my side under my arm. With the K10 and K20 the mode dial often changed position which was annoying, and made me miss some photos. So one problem solved. However the front and real wheels have no locks, and I often end up shooting on an aperture I had not planned (often use Av). I woulde really love to be able to lock the setting. Looking at the available buttons to do this I think holding either the AEL or the green buttun in for maybe 1 second could lock the setting (in Av or Tv mode). To unlock you will hold it in again, or change the mode. Another way would of course be to allow us to use the aperture ring on the lenses, but that can't be sorted by firmware, and would not work on all lenses. I would accept any other way of locking the setting as long as it is easy enough to do.

I have the same issue with the quick menues. On the K-7 only a single press will bring up the menu, while on the K20 you neeed to first press Fn. With the new firmware you are able to chenge that so you need to press OK first....but that setting only has effect in AF-SEL, I always use center point only, but would like to have to press ok first to get to the menu if I have set that up in the custom settings. I am a bit surprised that setting does not affect the menues the same way no mattr the AF setting...please fix.

regards Peter
08-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I just got the camera. I like the electronic level indicator, however in manual exposure mode I want that meter to show me the ambient exposure without having to go through the custom menu to cancel the electronic leveler. There has to be an option for me to be able to use the electronic leveler in all exposure modes other than manual, and then when switched to manual exposure mode it changes to be the ambient exposure meter on it's own.
Apparently it can be switched by pressing the -/+ (excposure compensation). So, it's already there.
08-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #112

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but I'd also really like to be able to set trap-focus with AF lenses set to MF.. It'd have to be a menu function somewhere, but that's ok with me..
08-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #113
Forum Member

Trap focus is a god send. Great for street shooting. I'd like to be able to use my DA's as well but its not allowed for some reason. Seems entirely possible.

01-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #114
Veteran Member

I think you should all take your suggestions and put them in writing to your respective Pentax offices as per this thread .....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-forum/74261-maybe-email-cama...ideo-mode.html

Only way to get change happening is to push for it!

A revolution people!
01-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Add RAW HDR Caputre also adjust +/- like as bracketing 3 or 5 pictures also adjust filter.