Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #16
Senior Member
fwbigd's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 298
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Walmart, Bestbuy and every large internet seller like Amazon have the K-7 so what is the big deal. Pentax made the right business move to raise the minimum yearly Pentax orders to $100,000 from $50,000 . Its now 2009 and deadbeat Pentax dealers are history. My first SLR purchase was the Canon Pellix QL with 58mm F1.2 in 1966 from a Pentax dealer in Hong Kong by mail order from Alaska and all my camera purchases in the last 15 years were over the internet with zero problems.
I don't my my cars without test driving them and I don't buy my cameras with out taking a few test shots with them...

07-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member
*isteve's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,187
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
I don't my my cars without test driving them and I don't buy my cameras with out taking a few test shots with them...
Whats the return policy on internet purchases?

There is no point in Pentax selling a camera in a store for a $100 loss. Isnt there a Best Buys nearby?

Mind you how this will tally with the MF release I dont know. I would only buy one of those if I had a local dealer who could sort out issues quickly and carry accessories. However, mom and pop stores dont do that anyway.
07-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member
*isteve's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,187
In the UK Pentax has dropped Jessops (biggest retailer) because it demanded rediculous credit terms. Other makers are tied in because they cannot achieve the volume without Jessops but Pentax decided it was not profitable. Probably wise.

Instead they have cultivated some small but popular stores like Park Cameras and SRS that do a lot of internet business but have walk in stores as well, and also sell through big electronics chains like Currys who are everywhere.

Sounds like what they are trying in the US.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
What's going on with Pentax in this great country?

Attached is an image just posted in my German forum
(c) copyright by user TripleYYY at digitalfotonetz.de, posted here

It shows an average Pentax display cabinet in an average European electronic chain store (Mediamarkt) in an average European town (Giessen, pop. 70,000). If you look carefully, you can spot two sealed K-7 kit boxes at the center of the lower border of the image.

But I agree that the exhibition space dedicated to Pentax is shrinking in most places over here, too.
07-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #19
Senior Member
fwbigd's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 298
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Whats the return policy on internet purchases?

There is no point in Pentax selling a camera in a store for a $100 loss. Isnt there a Best Buys nearby?

Mind you how this will tally with the MF release I dont know. I would only buy one of those if I had a local dealer who could sort out issues quickly and carry accessories. However, mom and pop stores dont do that anyway.
Best Buy doesn't stock Pentax. They (Best Buy) are internet sales only.

07-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,830
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
What's going on with Pentax in this great country?

Attached is an image just posted in my German forum
(c) copyright by user TripleYYY at digitalfotonetz.de, posted here

It shows an average Pentax display cabinet in an average European electronic chain store (Mediamarkt) in an average European town (Giessen, pop. 70,000). If you look carefully, you can spot two sealed K-7 kit boxes at the center of the lower border of the image.

But I agree that the exhibition space dedicated to Pentax is shrinking in most places over here, too.
I'm wondering what is happening in the States. In Canada, at least in my Western Canadian city of around 700,000 we have one Western Canadian Camera store chain with 3 stores, another Canadian Camera chain with 2 stores, another Western Canadian Drug store with two stores, a private indiviaul camera store...all great camera stores...all containg good Pentax DSLR stock. In fact I would say their display shelves for Pentax look like the European one, posted by Falconeye.

What is going on in America ??
07-17-2009, 12:23 AM   #21
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteQuote:
What is going on in America ??
people are lazy, they only know of best buy, wal-mart, etc, and because of this, typically buy what some salesman tells them they 'need'. typical American youth below 30 or so have no idea what quality is and don't care about anything other than a cheap price, brand names and flashy ads. and our typical ignorance is spreading across the globe.
07-17-2009, 04:31 AM   #22
Site Supporter
raybird's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 146
I must say, though, that I'm encouraged by what's going on in the used market here. I bought 3 bodies (2 K10D, 1 K100D Super) from the Ritz clearance in May, and I also bought a K100D off of Craigslist. I've been able to sell all 4 of them on Craigslist within days of listing them, mostly to people who never shot Pentax before. The flip-side is that its been harder for me to find dirt cheap lenses on CL :/

I think more people are starting to pay attention to value vs. marketing hype. I hope that trend can bubble up to the retail stores.
07-17-2009, 04:52 AM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
"its in their best interest" Really???

Annual order minimums required to keep accounts active:

Pentax $100,000
Sony $50,000
Olympus $50,000
Canon $0
Nikon $0

I'd say its easy to deal Canon and Nikon. And that what I see locally:

Canon & Nikon and nothing else.

WalMart sells Pentax OnLine Only
BestBuy sells Pentax OnLine Only
Home Depot sells Pentax OnLine Only
Pentax sell Pentax OnLine only

Pentax USA is happy to retreat to OnLine only venues or happy to sell thru a camera store willing to ante up $100,000 a year. Lets see. A store buys $100,000 worth of K-7 and in 6 months K-7 sell for $600 less than launch price. Every camera maker drops their new prices some however Pentax is King at shedding issue price in 6 or 7 months. If I owned a store no way would I buy $100,000 worth of K-7 cameras that would sell for half list in 6 months.

Lets face it camera store owners can easily carry Nikon and Canon still in 2009. On TV, and in print ads what do you see:

Canon & Nikon.

Whether Canon and Nikon are better or worse than Pentax does not matter. Its whats available locally for the first time buyer to touch and feel and thats not Pentax, Sony or Olympus. Thus Canon and Nikon take 80% annual marketshare while Pentax and Sony and Olympus fight over the bottom 20%.


QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

Also, photo retailers should realize that it's *in their best interest* to carry as many different brands as possible. The Canon/Nikon duopoly only makes their services less valuable than comparing two sets of specs on a screen. The more variety, the more someone wants to talk to a human being and touch the things, someplace where they are.


07-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #24
Nubi
Guest




I can see how holding it in your own hands before purchase is nice and all, but can taking just few shots inside the store here and there will convince you guys to buy, or not buy on the spot?

I have had mine for about 2 weeks now and I still hesitate to form an opinion about this camera. It is certainly nice. Looks cool. Feels nice in your hands. Pictures looks nice. How much better than K20D in terms of IQ, noise, AF and so on? Not entirely sure yet. I am not disappointed but was it worth $1300? Hm....
07-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #25
mel
Veteran Member
mel's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,531
I think we are talking mostly about first-time dslr shoppers who know little about them and would be best served by having a wider variety of brands to shop from, hold, and compare in one location.
07-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #26
Senior Member
fwbigd's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 298
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I can see how holding it in your own hands before purchase is nice and all, but can taking just few shots inside the store here and there will convince you guys to buy, or not buy on the spot?

I have had mine for about 2 weeks now and I still hesitate to form an opinion about this camera. It is certainly nice. Looks cool. Feels nice in your hands. Pictures looks nice. How much better than K20D in terms of IQ, noise, AF and so on? Not entirely sure yet. I am not disappointed but was it worth $1300? Hm....
I took about 30 shots at local camera store with the K20D when it first came out and knew instantly it was not that much better than then K10D. After I got the images home and reviewed them in Photoshop, I knew I had made the right decision.

Sounds like if you had the same chance as I did, you would have saved yourself $1,300. That why I don't buy equipment that I haven't seen or touched.
07-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #27
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,046
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
A store buys $100,000 worth of K-7 and in 6 months K-7 sell for $600 less than launch price.
$100K includes anything Pentax, not only camera bodies ?

do they count by MSRP ? it is only 75 new bodies of K7 now ... I mean if you can't sell $75 new bodies what do you expect from that place in terms of sales from the floor ? being Pentax I 'd rather send one demo camera into a shop and give 'em access to online system so that people can actually buy it online while they are in the store... I mean you buy furniture this way in many cases - when the store in fact carries only demo models... you do not need any further support, just one demo model and access to online system for sales clerks...
07-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
SteveM's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,295
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm wondering what is happening in the States. In Canada, at least in my Western Canadian city of around 700,000 we have one Western Canadian Camera store chain with 3 stores, another Canadian Camera chain with 2 stores, another Western Canadian Drug store with two stores, a private indiviaul camera store...all great camera stores...all containg good Pentax DSLR stock. In fact I would say their display shelves for Pentax look like the European one, posted by Falconeye.

What is going on in America ??
Pentax in Canada and especially western Canada has always had good exposure. Look at the number of members on this forum....considering the countries population is fairly small....

I cancelled my internet order for my K-7 as I could but it for the same price from the shop up the street. I expected to wait a couple of weeks longer than everyone else but I thought it was the right thing to do....ended up that I was one of the first to get it.

I think it is very important that the cameras be displayed.....and seen by new customers. This means they must be in retail stores....I honestly believe that Pentax will lose more market share...and eventually die off without proper exposure. Sales are too small for mass media ads.

I can understand buying on the internet if the price is way out of whack...but don't buy online if you can help the guy up the street by buying your lens/body from his store.
07-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #29
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
I took about 30 shots at local camera store with the K20D when it first came out and knew instantly it was not that much better than then K10D. After I got the images home and reviewed them in Photoshop, I knew I had made the right decision.

Sounds like if you had the same chance as I did, you would have saved yourself $1,300. That why I don't buy equipment that I haven't seen or touched.
I had the opposite experience. I shot with the K10d in the store, took the files home and looked at them. Didn't care for it (handling, resonsivenes or iq) and didn't buy it. A few weeks later the K20d came out. I went in, took shots, brought them home and compared. Went back and paid full pop for the camera.

Different strokes...and maybe the first K10d was a dud.
07-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #30
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,830
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Pentax in Canada and especially western Canada has always had good exposure. Look at the number of members on this forum....considering the countries population is fairly small....

I cancelled my internet order for my K-7 as I could but it for the same price from the shop up the street. I expected to wait a couple of weeks longer than everyone else but I thought it was the right thing to do....ended up that I was one of the first to get it. I do basically the same. I try it out at a local store...if I like it, I ask them if they can meet the internet price. So far they can and I buy it from the local stores. I think it's important to support the local stores, or if they can't sell anything here...they can't stay in business. Also, I find if I have difficulty or want a question answered, I can always get an answer from the local, pure camera stores. Harder to do that at a internet place or a big box store, where I find many clerks don't have a clue .

I think it is very important that the cameras be displayed.....and seen by new customers. This means they must be in retail stores....I honestly believe that Pentax will lose more market share...and eventually die off without proper exposure. Sales are too small for mass media ads. You hit the nail on the head...an old saying in sales is that you can't sell from an empty wagon.

I can understand buying on the internet if the price is way out of whack...but don't buy online if you can help the guy up the street by buying your lens/body from his store.
Exactamondo...again I agree.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ace, camera, cameras, dc, decision, md, penn, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, va
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photography legend Irving Penn dies deadwolfbones General Talk 1 10-08-2009 06:54 AM
Kodak Discontinues E200 nightfly Pentax Medium Format 2 07-18-2009 10:27 AM
Pentax discontinues 67II & 645NII surfotog Pentax Medium Format 5 04-11-2009 08:54 AM
Sean Penn Venturi Post Your Photos! 3 10-20-2008 03:08 AM
Penn Camera bikee4 Photographic Technique 8 03-25-2008 08:59 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top