Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SDXC: When do you expect this to be widely available?

SDXC memory cards promise 2TB of storage, 300MBps transfer

This surely looks promising, but I highly doubt that it will come out until 2016. Seriously, most of our computer HARD DRIVES aren't even ONE terabyte and this thing claims it can reach up to 2TB (technically so can a SD card).

When do you think this will become available on most electronic appliances (such as dSLRS).

07-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

they said it would be available in the next 5 years. that's what I heard and seen on a promotional video on Youtube. it is still under careful evaluation. though the possibility of an early release of a 3rd party sdxc could happen sooner than that time frame due to the nature of the storage format of the SDHC. the SDHC has a theoritical size capacity of 2 TB. sooner or later, some programmers and electronics people would find a crack for it. btw, the SDXC is considered as a cracked version of the SDHC memory card with a faster read/write speed as advertised. if I were you, I would take care of your SDHC memory cards and wait til a crack emerges. let's hope and pray that this would occur soon.

anyway, this reminded me of the double density and high density diskettes during the early 90s. where you could increase the density or storage capacity of your diskettes by punching a hole on the lower right side of the diskette. that was an easy way to increase storage but at the expense of creating a lot of bad sectors in the disk.
07-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
they said it would be available in the next 5 years. that's what I heard and seen on a promotional video on Youtube. it is still under careful evaluation. though the possibility of an early release of a 3rd party sdxc could happen sooner than that time frame due to the nature of the storage format of the SDHC. the SDHC has a theoritical size capacity of 2 TB. sooner or later, some programmers and electronics people would find a crack for it. btw, the SDXC is considered as a cracked version of the SDHC memory card with a faster read/write speed as advertised. if I were you, I would take care of your SDHC memory cards and wait til a crack emerges. let's hope and pray that this would occur soon.

anyway, this reminded me of the double density and high density diskettes during the early 90s. where you could increase the density or storage capacity of your diskettes by punching a hole on the lower right side of the diskette. that was an easy way to increase storage but at the expense of creating a lot of bad sectors in the disk.
Less is more ehh?

Of course I researched more and yes, I did realize that SDXC is just going to be an updated version of SDHC. I'm guessing that we might SEE these cards available next year, but I doubt anything will be compatible with it until 2012, and even then there won't be many appliances taking advantage of it (SDXC will be too close to SDHC in specification by then I am guessing).
Theoretically, there is a lot of room for improvement on the SDHC card (speed wise), although I think the capacity will stick at 32GB (can be raised if firmware is replaced) b/c no product can really take advantage of more than 32GB other than dSLRs. In fact, until we see actual HARD DRIVES 2000+ times bigger than SDHC cards then we will be seeing SDXC available. Hard drives right now can barely even reach 2TB yet and look at the size of those things. How the F*CK can a chip the size of a finger nail be 2TB in the near future?

Done with ramble. Please add cause I am interested. Sadly, I stupidly bought 2 Toshiba class 4 SD cards for the same price I could of gotten a Sandisk 30MB/s card (around $25 after rebate). :-(
07-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

sell the stupid toshibas then spend the cash on the Sandisk !

07-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
sell the stupid toshibas then spend the cash on the Sandisk !
Via market place?
07-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
SDXC memory cards promise 2TB of storage, 300MBps transfer

This surely looks promising, but I highly doubt that it will come out until 2016. Seriously, most of our computer HARD DRIVES aren't even ONE terabyte and this thing claims it can reach up to 2TB (technically so can a SD card).

When do you think this will become available on most electronic appliances (such as dSLRS).
The last HD I purchased was the 1.5TB Seagate 7200rpm in retail box for $112 from Frys so flash memory cards have a long way to go before they get close to HD prices per TB.