Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #136
Pentaxian

JamieP, no need to think much about it. We'll see when the new lenses will appear, right?
And, let's not forget about the WR kit lens. It's not done on a whim, something to launch on the market, and forget about in 6 months.

aleonx3: I doubt we'll see a K20D successor, and a K20D successor.
It's easier to forget about the old camera line, and see what can be done now. There is room for a mid-level camera, and that's it. Even so, I'm afraid a mid-level camera (weather sealed, K-7 level of performance, no 100% viewfinder but, hopefully, pentaprism) would take from K-7's sales.

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-19-2009 at 01:10 PM.
09-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
JamieP, no need to think much about it. We'll see when the new lenses will appear, right?
And, let's not forget about the WR kit lens. It's not done on a whim, something to launch on the market, and forget about in 6 months.

aleonx3: I doubt we'll see a K20D successor, and a K20D successor.
It's easier to forget about the old camera line, and see what can be done now. There is room for a mid-level camera, and that's it. Even so, I'm afraid a mid-level camera (weather sealed, K-7 level of performance, no 100% viewfinder but, hopefully, pentaprism) would take from K-7's sales.

I tend to agree; the next camera with similar high performance that won't compete with the k-7 sales would be a FF.
09-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can't understand the motivation for a new K200D.
New commercial disaster? Just remember what happened when K200D came out last year. K20D got all the attention, being criticized for not being improvement enough compared to K10D.
The K200D was in most respects worse than K10D, m0re expensive (at least here initially) and sold simultaneously with K10D. All newcomers got themselves K10D and then if someone asked on the forums about the K200D, the only reply was - get an used K10D, if you can't afford K20D. The K200D is slow and cumbersome... So the guy usually went and bought a Nikon.

All the idea of weather sealed body for beginners failed commercially. Who thinks they are stupid enough at Hoya to put the guts of K20D into a K300D, while they are still trying to get rid od the K20D stock? Again?
09-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Exactly!

People aren't understanding how big of a disaster the K200D was. Nobody bought that camera, and it was marketed into the entirely wrong segment of the market, not even being that much of an upgrade (if any) from the K10D. People need to realize that Pentax already tried what everyone is wanting them to do again, and it almost ruined them.

09-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #140
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Exactly!

People aren't understanding how big of a disaster the K200D was. Nobody bought that camera, and it was marketed into the entirely wrong segment of the market, not even being that much of an upgrade (if any) from the K10D. People need to realize that Pentax already tried what everyone is wanting them to do again, and it almost ruined them.
bsmeter

About 16% of the people on this forum probably have a K200d. While over 42% of them have the K10d, many of them already had them when the K20d came out. There are some different features between the K10d and K200d. The best argument for the K20d is the viewfinder. However, calling it a disaster is naive. Its price point made more sense at the time of its release and few of the competition could match it without down pricing and older model that had been on the market for a while. When its all said and done, Pentax sold 70,000 more dSLR in 2008 than they did in 2006 Which was about a 21% increase even though the market share was down to 4% from 5%. That is one situation where the % can be misleading, especially given that Sony got in to the dSLR market by getting the old Minolta plant and engineers.
09-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
:bsmeter:

About 16% of the people on this forum probably have a K200d. While over 42% of them have the K10d, many of them already had them when the K20d came out. There are some different features between the K10d and K200d. The best argument for the K20d is the viewfinder. However, calling it a disaster is naive. Its price point made more sense at the time of its release and few of the competition could match it without down pricing and older model that had been on the market for a while. When its all said and done, Pentax sold 70,000 more dSLR in 2008 than they did in 2006 Which was about a 21% increase even though the market share was down to 4% from 5%. That is one situation where the % can be misleading, especially given that Sony got in to the dSLR market by getting the old Minolta plant and engineers.
Nothing you just said proves me wrong. In fact, I think you just proved me entirely right.
09-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #142
Site Supporter

Nothing you just said proves me wrong. In fact, I think you just proved me entirely right.
I see you are math challenged as well.
09-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #143
rm2

What about the Ds?

Does any one know how successful the Ds was? I always thought that it did rather good, at least it enjoyed a lot of love and popularity among Pentaxians. I know that it probably killed the sales for the D, but that is because it had a lot more improvements over it than compromises. The only significant thing that I can think that it compromised was the front dial and the lack of a battery grip. On the other hand, it was faster, it had a larger buffer, and it used SD cards. Other things were mostly equal, except for the price. The Ds was much cheaper. So, buying the Ds was very much a no brainer once it came out. Unfortunately, there never has been a replacement for this, I think, very successful model (the Ds2 was more of a refresh for the same model).

Releasing a modernized Ds today, with the specs, more or less, as I specified would not be as much of a canibilizer on the K-7 as the Ds was to the D, in my opinion. Those that want the high end with all the bells and whistles are still going to go for the K-7. Make the K-2, or whatever you want to call it, a little less that the K-7, but by all means make it appealing to photography enthusiasts.

The K-1000 of Digital SLRs

"But the DS has that same sort of feeling to me that I think older photo-dogs got from the K-1000. It does what it's supposed to; it does it straightforwardly; and everything's so well balanced, fitted, and sorted that it just seems, well, right. Classic and conservative. A tool, not a toy."

Last edited by rm2; 09-19-2009 at 06:41 PM.
09-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
Does any one know how successful the Ds was? I always thought that it did rather good, at least it enjoyed a lot of love and popularity among Pentaxians. I know that it probably killed the sales for the D, but that is because it had a lot more improvements over it than compromises. The only significant thing that I can think that it compromised was the front dial and the lack of a battery grip. On the other hand, it was faster, it had a larger buffer, and it used SD cards. Other things were mostly equal, except for the price. The Ds was much cheaper. So, buying the Ds was very much a no brainer once it came out. Unfortunately, there never has been a replacement for this, I think, very successful model (the Ds2 was more of a refresh for the same model).

Releasing a modernized Ds today, with the specs, more or less, as I specified would not be as much of a canibilizer on the K-7 as the Ds was to the D, in my opinion. Those that want the high end with all the bells and whistles are still going to go for the K-7. Make the K-2, or whatever you want to call it, a little less that the K-7, but by all means make it appealing to photography enthusiasts.

The K-1000 of Digital SLRs

"But the DS has that same sort of feeling to me that I think older photo-dogs got from the K-1000. It does what it's supposed to; it does it straightforwardly; and everything's so well balanced, fitted, and sorted that it just seems, well, right. Classic and conservative. A tool, not a toy."
The K-m...
09-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #145
rm2

The K-m...
The view finder kills it for a Ds owner.
09-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #146
Veteran Member

I've owned 2 *ist DS cameras...and never noticed a change between my previous Rebel cameras and the DS. I'm sure there is one, but it's no selling point.
09-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #147
rm2

I've owned 2 *ist DS cameras...and never noticed a change between my previous Rebel cameras and the DS. I'm sure there is one, but it's no selling point.
I guess that you didn't do much manual focusing with your Rebel. If you did, and you didn't notice much different then I am speechless.
09-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #148
Site Supporter

I would like to see the DS upgraded with the sensor from the K-x. I liked the ttl flash capability in regards to mf, macro etc. along with the viewfinder.
09-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I would like to see the DS upgraded with the sensor from the K-x. I liked the ttl flash capability in regards to mf, macro etc. along with the viewfinder.
Yeah because Pentax is going to kill any usefulness of having their P-TTL flashes.
09-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #150
Site Supporter

Yeah because Pentax is going to kill any usefulness of having their P-TTL flashes.
What part of using it with mf lenses including m42 did you not get? P-ttl is a no go there. It it worked, I wouldn't be requesting ttl. They had platforms before that could do either ttl or pttl.