Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
OK, so who are we waiting for to announce things. Down to Pentax and Canon methinks.
REALLY surprised no-one has heard anything (or maybe they are all out playing with their K7's).

One small laugh in the Nikon D300s press release:
"Built upon the widely acclaimed D300, the D300S incorporates the same DX-format 12.3 megapixel CMOS sensor, professional 51-point autofocus system and commended EXPEED image processing in a discrete compact body."

It weighs 918g loaded for crying out loud. Discrete against the D3 perhaps....

07-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #107

K20D/GX20 is not too far from D300's dimensions. The weight helps for more steady shots ... at least for me. I don't mind carrying more weight. This kind of camera is not a toy, is a tool and in this class a pro/semi-pro one.

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfier Quote
D3000 hands on preview
DSLR Body: D3000, D5000, D60
Live View: No, Yes, No
Obviously there is a mistake made by dpreview staff. We'll see which one is true.
08-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #108
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The major reasons against rechargeable Li-Ions are:

1) Circuitry--in order to make the battery most efficient, there needs to be a charge/discharge circuit in each battery itself. In a AA format, this takes away from the chemical volume, so the power advantage is lost.

2) The volatility is explosive if a AA Li-ion is put into a regular recharger. They could easily explode.

That is why Li-Ion is proprietary. And why liability is an issue.

But, on a power:cost factor, AA single-use Li-Ion's and rechargeable AA NiMH are a better deal than a proprietary Li-Ion and charger in most cases (at least until battery design goes to generic production). If travelling they are a huge advantage.

Also, external flashes and grips are usually AA or hybrid due to the adaptability.

However, the cylindrical form factor of AA is not an ideal design for handheld products.

Finally, there is growing concern over battery and charger disposal given all the proprietary product incompatibilities and service life. The future looks to see a regulatory approach to battery design and service.
why not try NiZn's? i'm trying them w/ my k2000 and so far, so good
1.6v per cell slightly higher but is ok.
08-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #109
AM2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
Obviously there is a mistake made by dpreview staff. We'll see which one is true.
No mistake, there is no live-view on the D3000. Check these sources:

Nikon D3000 | Digital Camera Resource Page News

Nikon D3000

Live view is not possible with that 10MP Sony design CCD.

08-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AM2 Quote
No mistake, there is no live-view on the D3000. Check these sources:

Nikon D3000 | Digital Camera Resource Page News

Nikon D3000

Live view is not possible with that 10MP Sony design CCD.
Indeed, I didn't pay attention to the sensor. Thank you AM2.

So basicaly, the D3000 is a D40 with the K-m Help button.
08-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
So basicaly, the D3000 is a D40 with the K-m Help button.
Not quite, it's the D60 updated with a 3" LCD (low-res though) and 11 AF points. If Pentax can update the K-m with the 11 AF points (and selectable) and the missing orientation sensor, they will have a stronger offering.
08-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #112
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
The articulating screen controversy seems odd. It's the equivalent of interchangeable finders, ... (snip)
Paul
No, no it's not.
08-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
No, no it's not.
Why is it not? Isn't the objective of both to allow viewing from somewhere other than directly behind the camera? While today's screens are arguably a technologically superior implementation, and more versatile in many respects (versatility of viewing angles, notably), it seems like the basic concept is the same.

Paul

08-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #114
Veteran Member

If pentax wanted to really set themselves apart from the crowd, I'd suggest putting out a camera which compliments the k-7 in very specific ways.

First off, 10mp is fine. Just ditch that ccd and move to a cmos sensor with better noise characteristics. Make it the absolute best high-ISO sensor in an aps-c body.

Make DFS selectable in the menu for bulb exposures.

Go with the articulating LCD for awkward shooting angles.

Make it work with the d-bg4 and use the same battery as the k-7

Drop back to a 98% viewfinder.

Magnesium alloy body would be nice. Not essential, but nice.

3 fps

electronic level

LV & movie mode but make the live-view a little better and go with 24 fps on the movie front.

keep it sealed.

up the sync speed

limit the top shutter speed to 1/4000

Something like this would be a good back-up to the k-7 - or compliment to it. It would also be an upgrade path for k-m users. More importantly, because it compliments the line-up instead of competing with it, people aren't going to think they have to choose one or the other....they'll want both.

**probably a good thing I'm not in marketing **

Last edited by Andrew Faires; 08-03-2009 at 09:37 PM.
08-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #115

The most obvious feature of the k300d hasn't been mentioned -- because it is so obvious. However, it is important to mention it to understand how little else they need to add to give the camera its unique selling point.

The 18-55 WR will really be the kit lens -- and that will give the camera the selling point it needs -- that none of the Pentax's have really had -- just buy it and go out and take pictures in any weather.

Therefore, I don't think Pentax will need to give it an articulating LCD (which I would love) or a new 10 or 12 megabyte CMOS sensor (which would be better suited for target audience's real needs) they just give it the same sensor that it is in the K-7 with the same live view/movie mode/ dust removal and add one of the unique features that they think communicates best to target audience -- maybe auto-leveling sensor and put it in a body that is even more compact than the K-7.

So it's headline features are:

weather resistant lens included -- ready for anything.
compact
14 megapixels
dust removal, live view, movies from K-7.

definitely not the K-7's viewfinder, burst rate, dual controls, etc.
probably not anything else real exciting.

---

Well, that's my best guess. But I wish they would put in a perfected 10 megapixel low noise, high DR CMOS sensor.
08-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #116
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No movies, no sale. All competitor DSLR's will have movie by year end in this price point.

QuoteOriginally posted by close-enough Quote
The most obvious feature of the k300d hasn't been mentioned -- because it is so obvious. However, it is important to mention it to understand how little else they need to add to give the camera its unique selling point.

The 18-55 WR will really be the kit lens -- and that will give the camera the selling point it needs -- that none of the Pentax's have really had -- just buy it and go out and take pictures in any weather.

Therefore, I don't think Pentax will need to give it an articulating LCD (which I would love) or a new 10 or 12 megabyte CMOS sensor (which would be better suited for target audience's real needs) they just give it the same sensor that it is in the K-7 with the same live view/movie mode/ dust removal and add one of the unique features that they think communicates best to target audience -- maybe auto-leveling sensor and put it in a body that is even more compact than the K-7.

So it's headline features are:

weather resistant lens included -- ready for anything.
compact
14 megapixels
dust removal, live view, movies from K-7.

definitely not the K-7's viewfinder, burst rate, dual controls, etc.
probably not anything else real exciting.

---

Well, that's my best guess. But I wish they would put in a perfected 10 megapixel low noise, high DR CMOS sensor.
08-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #117
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
K20D/GX20 is not too far from D300's dimensions. The weight helps for more steady shots ... at least for me. I don't mind carrying more weight. This kind of camera is not a toy, is a tool and in this class a pro/semi-pro one.

I just don't know where people get the idea the D300 and K20d are of a size class, (Why Nikon calls the D300 'compact' could only possibly be in comparison with integrated-battery-grip models: it's actually about the biggest out there.)

Not that I have a problem with that size: I like em a little beefy, too, ...but my K20d and grip is only a bit bigger than the d300 body alone. I wouldn't be bothered by the size of a D300 or D700, but I don't think I'd ever want to walk around with a grip on one.

With the K20d, I can be happy with or without the grip on there: it's actually just about the same size as my 'pro' 35mm bodies.

My Nikonian friend loves his D300, but often leaves it home in favor of a D40 just on account of size and weight. 'Compact' isn't a word I'd use for that.
08-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #118
Pentaxian

I like the smaller lower end N*n sizes - I think the ergonomics of especially the D90, and even the d5000 is pretty good. If there was a reasonably priced wide-angle prime (ie around the 21mm length), i'd look even harder.

I guess I am approaching this from a) the perspective of the hiker/traveller, or b) though the eyes of a parent who is already carrying around a ton of stuff with the little one. At the moment I carry the 40mm, 21mm and 50-200mm with the K200d. Not exactly a heavy load. Spot the heavy item.

I'm still hoping Pentax can get it's act together for the mid-range model and get something with good, solid, compact ergonomics for travel and ticking all the buttons in terms of image quality, not to mention ease and quietness of operation. I think that I could use movies too, given that our compact gets a good work out on this front (and one less thing to carry!).

It may be hard to cram the K200d successor down further than the K7 though. Personally, I have a one time opportunity at the end of the year to upgrade, and it will pretty much be down to the K200d replacement, the K7 or maybe D90.

I do think that Pentax have lost a little bit of mid-tier market direction since the *ist/*ist DS(2)/*ist DL(2) tier strategy in terms of product positioning, but that may be due to the market having completely changed during that period, not to mention an entirely new company now running the show.
08-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #119
Site Supporter

Clarkey... I understand your perspective as a hiker/traveller. Currently, my vacation outfit is the K200D with the 18-250 zoom. If Pentax can keep the weight and size down, I think a weather-resistant K2000 and the 18-250 would be perfect for travelling. Of course, the 18-250 isn't technically weatherproof... but I've had mine out in the rain with no ill effects. And it seems to me that Pentax has a stated interest in adding weather resistance to all of its DSLRs and most of its lenses before long.
09-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
Well I'm in the market to buy now!.

I have a K200D and would like to spend some money Pentax!

Current offerings I have no interest in.

What I want.

- AA Batterys
- Pentaprism
- LiveView
- Video
- Weatherproofing
- Close to 100% field of view

Past that I don't care. !

Although I think the curves of the K200D look much nicer then the ugly flats of the K7 body.

Anyhow, please Pentax. Make another great camera in the tradition of the K200D in a similar price and market bracket.
But please don't create another dog like the K-M.

My open wallet awaits!

.-.-.
I agree completely!!