Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Any News on K200D Replacement !

Any one heard about any of the features of the K200D replacement ... do you think it will use the same sensor as the K20D, maybe have many of the K20D's features but in a smaller package and improved live view.

It would be AWESOME if it had a articulating LCD :-)

wll

07-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, no...articulating LCD, please, NO.
07-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I hope in a K7 AF and metering system but in a k2000/km package.
A 12MP or (better) a new Samsung-developed 10MP sensor with video capturing would be wonderful.
07-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Oh, no...articulating LCD, please, NO.
Oh Yes, Please Yesssssss !

I would be able to get those low ground level shots, some of those dramatic high shots that I can't do 'cause I can't see the viewfinder as it is in an odd position. I'd be able to shoot table top stuff easier as I would not need to bend like a pretzel to see the viewfinder ..... I could go on and on.

For me that (I'm assuming it will have live view) and image quality are what counts.

wll

07-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

If Pentax will make such marketing feature like articulating LCD, I couldn't buy new camera from Pentax...

Did you come to DSLR from P&S camera?
07-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Oh Yes, Please Yesssssss !

I would be able to get those low ground level shots,
Not having an articulating screen would keep you fit, an articulating screen makes you lazy...

some of those dramatic high shots that I can't do 'cause I can't see the viewfinder as it is in an odd position.
an arms length above your head is not that much.. And if in a crowd, you'd be behind someone much taller anyways...
I'd be able to shoot table top stuff easier as I would not need to bend like a pretzel to see the viewfinder .....
You could use a chair to sit on.. oh no, that wold make you lazy...
07-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't see why you two are so vehemently against an articulating LCD. Having one doesn't make anyone less of a man. Don't like it? Then don't use it. It's the same as video mode on the K-7.

07-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I don't see why you two are so vehemently against an articulating LCD. Having one doesn't make anyone less of a man. Don't like it? Then don't use it. It's the same as video mode on the K-7.
VIDEO mode/or LV and articulating LCD are not the same. It's different elements of camera. Do you understand it?
It couldn't be compared. It's like to compare something warm with something soft.

Do you know compact DSLR with such LCD?
The construction of camera with articulating LCD is weaker than without it.
07-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

An articulating screen would be a nice bonus. Not one on a dSLR has VGA resolution yet, but I doubt that the 2nd model would have one and not the flagship.
07-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Do you know compact DSLR with such LCD?
Um, D5000?

The construction of camera with articulating LCD is weaker than without it.
Talk about comparing something soft with something warm. The ability to get the shot you want should trump "construction of the camera." Who cares if the construction is weaker on a lower-level dlsr? What a silly thing to object to and a silly rationale for objecting.
07-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Um, D5000?

Talk about comparing something soft with something warm. The ability to get the shot you want should trump "construction of the camera." Who cares if the construction is weaker on a lower-level dlsr? What a silly thing to object to and a silly rationale for objecting.
Is K200D low-end model?
07-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
cyg

Olympus has had articulated LCDs on several (dslr) models for a while -- even the E-3 has it afaik, which hardly supports the claim that it makes the overall build weaker.

It would be nice to have an articulated LCD on a Pentax, or at least have the choice.

The only downside seems to be that articulated LCDs tend to be smaller and lower resolution.

Last edited by cyg; 07-18-2009 at 12:00 PM.
07-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Is K200D low-end model?
Yes. And for the record, I wrote "lowER-level DSLR."
07-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If Pentax will make such marketing feature like articulating LCD, I couldn't buy new camera from Pentax...

Did you come to DSLR from P&S camera?
Ha, ha .. No I had three Canon F1n's and literally every FD lens Canon made (up to 200mm) in the 70's

I did location scouting and film production for many years and owned my own location scouting service. I had a HUGE log of locations, all shot with my Canon F1's. I had (and still have) my Polaroid 450 and 195 cameras and even my first Polaroid 110A.

No, I did not come from a point and shoot camera, although I have them.

The reason I like the articulating screen is because it enables you to see shots that you just can't get by using a viewfinder. Those very, very low shots you can't get unless your lying face down in dirt. Angled architectural shots that are hit and miss because it is imposable to see the view finder, unless you remove part of the building :-0 --- you get my drift. I shot my company catalog the last two years and an articulating screen would have saved me lots of work/time and would have helped my back tremendously.

wll
07-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The articulating screen controversy seems odd. It's the equivalent of interchangeable finders, which were a feature of virtually all high-end SLRs. Today, you'd have a much worse dust issue with interchangeable finders, thus some might find the articulating screen an attractive alternative that of course wasn't technologically possible for SLRs in the past. Probably interchangeable finders made the cameras weaker structurally, but that didn't keep high-end SLRs from offering them.

As for the K200, I have no inside information, but I'd guess Pentax might have only two DSLRs going forward. Personally I found the sealed body and AAs at the K200 price point attractive, but probably very few other people did.

Paul