Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't the K2000 & the K20D basically cover the K200D's slot?

07-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Logically it should be feature and build wise downgraded camera, with K-7's new technologies.

This means it may have video, new AF system (but with less juice because of the AA's), same-new sensor (but those 14mpix are not very desirable in a enthusiast/entry camera, waste of storage space), shake reduction.
And most of the already known limitations. Such as less levers/buttons/dials, pentamirror, no/less sealing, maybe no HDMI out.

I see a logical choice leaving out/downgrading the features that many people looking for a first dslr dosnt care about to lower the price. Like top lcd, SR generation (like the new \w tilt compensation, composition adjust and level display), flash power (increases recharge time).

If pentax had released SDM kit with k-7 a would expect it is already time to make crippled SMD only entry level bodies. No internal AF motor - noticeable price decrease, more pressure to get higher end bodies and buy expensive SDM lenses.
But since Pentax design new lenses as SDM very selectively i doubt they plan to switch completely to SDM or internal motors.
07-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Logically it should be feature and build wise downgraded camera, with K-7's new technologies.

This means it may have video, new AF system (but with less juice because of the AA's), same-new sensor (but those 14mpix are not very desirable in a enthusiast/entry camera, waste of storage space), shake reduction.
And most of the already known limitations. Such as less levers/buttons/dials, pentamirror, no/less sealing, maybe no HDMI out.

I see a logical choice leaving out/downgrading the features that many people looking for a first dslr dosnt care about to lower the price. Like top lcd, SR generation (like the new \w tilt compensation, composition adjust and level display), flash power (increases recharge time).

If pentax had released SDM kit with k-7 a would expect it is already time to make crippled SMD only entry level bodies. No internal AF motor - noticeable price decrease, more pressure to get higher end bodies and buy expensive SDM lenses.
But since Pentax design new lenses as SDM very selectively i doubt they plan to switch completely to SDM or internal motors.
I still see the K20D in the line up so I am guessing that the K20D will eventually phase out the K200D.
07-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
Don't the K2000 & the K20D basically cover the K200D's slot?
Not to K200 advocates, but I'm suggesting that Pentax may feel that two bodies are sufficient, except during transitions.

Paul

07-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #20
Nubi

In just few short months....

The opinion of this camera, especially in this forum, will be divided, i think.
07-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any K200D replacement will likely have HD video, same specs as the K-7.

Hopefully it will continue with the differentiation from its peers by using AA batteries, although video and size will be issues.

There is a gap between the K20D and the K2000 that is prime market. The K20D is too expensive, even with the K-7 out. The K2000 is too entry-level for many, especially those who will stay with a brand through lens development.

The interesting aspect of the K200D is the WR factor, and the advent of WR on the new "kit lens". That's a good match and a core marketing strength of Pentax.

Live View and articulating screens are options with returns, but smaller ones compared to video, power, and WR durability. It still needs to hit the right price point.
07-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Any K200D replacement will likely have HD video, same specs as the K-7.

Hopefully it will continue with the differentiation from its peers by using AA batteries, although video and size will be issues.

There is a gap between the K20D and the K2000 that is prime market. The K20D is too expensive, even with the K-7 out. The K2000 is too entry-level for many, especially those who will stay with a brand through lens development.

The interesting aspect of the K200D is the WR factor, and the advent of WR on the new "kit lens". That's a good match and a core marketing strength of Pentax.

Live View and articulating screens are options with returns, but smaller ones compared to video, power, and WR durability. It still needs to hit the right price point.
Most people here will moan (which may be justified) because of probable pentamirrror and absence of HyperM/HyperP.

07-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #23

K300D Specs

Well I'm in the market to buy now!.

I have a K200D and would like to spend some money Pentax!

Current offerings I have no interest in.

What I want.

- AA Batterys
- Pentaprism
- LiveView
- Video
- Weatherproofing
- Close to 100% field of view

Past that I don't care. !

Although I think the curves of the K200D look much nicer then the ugly flats of the K7 body.

Anyhow, please Pentax. Make another great camera in the tradition of the K200D in a similar price and market bracket.
But please don't create another dog like the K-M.

My open wallet awaits!

.-.-.
07-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote

What I want.

- AA Batterys
- Pentaprism
- LiveView
- Video
- Weatherproofing

Although I think the curves of the K200D look much nicer then the ugly flats of the K7 body.

Anyhow, please Pentax. Make another great camera in the tradition of the K200D in a similar price and market bracket.

My open wallet awaits!

.-.-.
I doubt 100% field of view., although everything else looks reasonable.
07-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #25
Pentaxian

What I want.

- AA Batterys
- Pentaprism
- LiveView
- Video
- Weatherproofing

My open wallet awaits!

.-.-.
IMO minus 100% VF and pentaprism.
07-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #26

Oh, I did say close to 100% field of view so 95-96% etc.

But pentaprism is a must. Pentamirror is just crap. I'm sorry.

The K-M has pentamirror, so that leaves room for the K300D to have Pentaprism surly!

.-.-.
07-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #27
Pentaxian

The K-M has pentamirror, so that leaves room for the K300D to have Pentaprism surly!

.-.-.
Still doubt it but heck I'd like it to be. I don't need this camera, I have a K-7 and I already love it. Still I'd like others to be happy as well.
07-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.-.-.
Not going to happen. Prism vs. mirror is the price point breaker.

You want a prism? Pony up!
07-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #29
cyg

- AA Batteries
- Pentaprism
- LiveView
- Video
- Weatherproofing
Additional guesses:
- only one control wheel
- 3fps "only"
- 14Mp sensor

DS-style Pentaprism would be nice, but sounds unlikely...
07-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I think it should be sub-entry level... Just a couple of meaningless buttons and a viewfinder like the one on Rodney Dangerfield's putter in "Caddyshack" that tells you when you have that perfect shot. Maybe a trackball and a touchscreen or roulette wheel would make it nicer.... Oh yeah a couple of built-in games too - 3D of course.