Banned

I don't want 14 MP CMOS.

07-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunny Gear Quote
I don't want 14 MP CMOS.
And for what reason prehaps?

I surely hope that the K200D offers something different from the entry-level competition other than build quality, where it was negated due to the fact that the K200D was one of the only entry-level dSLRs without live-view.
07-21-2009, 05:04 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say that the sequel to the K200 will be a cross between the current K200 and K20, with the biggest change being the addition of video. That almost certainly means using the same sensor as the K7. The differences will be in construction, size (K300/30 will be bigger) and frames per second. That would position Pentax as having three camera levels -- high end, mid level and low end.
07-21-2009, 05:06 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many of the points raised in this thread have been made before.

I'll point out that in the dim, dark ages of 2004, there was only the rebel, the D70 and the DS that were remotely affordable for amateurs/prosumers. Fast forward and the D90 is the only camera which looks to appeal to the same market. Remember the *Ist D was the pro camera.
I still see the K7 as a D300 competitor and think there definitely room in the middle to wriggle.

I'm definitely in the market for the replacement cam for the K200D (having the DS previously).

My objections to the K7 are much less clear cut than with the K20d, but still include bulk, huge files and expense (when new - can't really level that charge now.

My objections to the K-m are that it feels like a bit of a toy in build, has no top plate info (get rid of this at your peril Pentax!) and the focus point issue. I also can't get around not having the rotation sensor.

Regarding the LCD. I've checked out the D5000 and the Oly E-620 recently and they look a little more robust than P&S equivalents, but I wonder about resolution, and breakages are a very real concern. That been said, the 620 is a very friendly camera to use and the viewfinder is MUCH bigger (why can't pentax increase the size beyond the mirror box like oly did with the E-3?).

As befits a mid-range replacement, I'd love to see a Pentaprism.

07-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm thinking the replacement k200 is going to be a AA battery, non-video version of the K7 or close to it.
07-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PinarelloOnly Quote
I'm thinking the replacement k200 is going to be a AA battery, non-video version of the K7 or close to it.
But with liveview and contrast AF.
07-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #37

Hey, I'm more then happy to buy a K7 when they start making them so they take `AA' batteries in the main body.

I just refuse to buy anything any more that uses the custom lithium packs.

What I can't understand is why don't they just make a duel battery compartment that will take either AA's or the crud LiIon pack?

Can't be that hard. Dummy battery cartridge or something that slots in the LiIon hole and accesses different terminal points. ?

Then everyone's happy!

.-.-.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Not going to happen. Prism vs. mirror is the price point breaker.

You want a prism? Pony up!

07-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Any one heard about any of the features of the K200D replacement ... do you think it will use the same sensor as the K20D, maybe have many of the K20D's features but in a smaller package and improved live view.

It would be AWESOME if it had a articulating LCD :-)

wll
you mean the K-M?? :ugh:
07-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
Hey, I'm more then happy to buy a K7 when they start making them so they take `AA' batteries in the main body.

I just refuse to buy anything any more that uses the custom lithium packs.

What I can't understand is why don't they just make a duel battery compartment that will take either AA's or the crud LiIon pack?

Can't be that hard. Dummy battery cartridge or something that slots in the LiIon hole and accesses different terminal points. ?

Then everyone's happy!

.-.-.
I love the AA option too, but I don't think it's possible with a higher end, more powerful body like the K-7. AA's just can't deliver enough power without needing at least six of them. And that's a lot of extra body weight compared to the rechargeable battery that's currently used.
07-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #40

I don't mind at all putting 6x AA's in.

Hell some of my radio's I use I run 6-10 AA's.

.-.-.

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
I love the AA option too, but I don't think it's possible with a higher end, more powerful body like the K-7. AA's just can't deliver enough power without needing at least six of them. And that's a lot of extra body weight compared to the rechargeable battery that's currently used.
07-22-2009, 05:39 AM   #41
Veteran Member

If you don't mind the idea of somehow cramming six AA's into the main body, you shouldn't mind having a grip on there to much the same effect, there'd be nowhere else to put them, and I doubt anyone's going to make a mid-level camera with an integrated grip sort of size just to please a few AA battery fiends. The option in the K-7's grip is nice, though.

An articulating screen, I could take or leave. It's mostly shop appeal for most users, and they're bound to be bulky and potentialll-vulnerable. (I'm a little tired of people thinking they can't do overhead shots without them: try it: the fixed LCDs have such a wide viewing angle that you don't really need articulation for that in practice.) I'd rather have a prism viewfinder, if it were for me: I think it's not outside the realm of possibility since Hoya's now the parent company.
07-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #42
RaduA

I don't know much about the new Pentax cameras (yet ) but I would bet for sure that at very least the mid range one won't have AA power source but the new D-Li90. I think Hoya will roll out in quick succession the first range of cameras made under their regime:

1) A real fw update for the K-7 to improve on noise treatment and also for more manual controls in movie mode and also AF in movies with the new breed of lenses first of what being the new Pentax super-zoom;

2) The mid range camera will probably be the equivalent of a GH1 as a convergent photo-video device but with OVF instead of EVF. It could have:
  • 14,6 Mp sensor
  • Prime 2
  • 3.9-4.2 fps
  • 100 - 3200 ISO
  • 2,7-3 inch tilt able LCD
  • 720p movie mode
  • removable stereo mic and in camera stereo plug K-7 style
  • 7 or 9 points AF system Safox 8+
  • new 39 zones exposure system
  • most likely pentamirror and no top LCD, two wheels control design maybe to allow better video controls?
  • lens corrections only for kit lenses, DA 55-300 and the super zooms (18-250 and the new one)
  • 6-10 RAW buffer, limitless jpgs
  • rounded design *soccer mummy liky* style, less volume than K200D, under 600 grams.

The camera will be positioned above canikon 500D, D5000 and bellow D90 most likely with much better video controls, w.s., in body SR and probably smaller/lighter. I am sure many Pentaxians will have mixed feelings about it yet I also think it is exactly what market demands now and not even canikon can supply atm. It may be a niche but it is a huge one and I hope that Hoya will surprise many with a complete package like they did with the K-7.

3) A new super-zoom lens (18-2xx) optimized for AF in movie mode and of course weather protected. This lens combined with the 2 kit lenses of K-7 (and of course of the mid range camera) will most likely be a huge attraction factor in the new range success and will make Hoya the lone company to sport IS, WR and AF in movie mode, all three very important features and more than that in a pretty inexpensive and small package.

4) K-m replacement will most likely keep the outer shell and the 2 DA L kit lenses because I don't think Hoya will scrap all this investment after only 1 year. I imagine the internals will remain/change to:
  • same 10 Mp CCD sensor
  • Prime 2
  • 3.5 fps
  • 100 - 3200 ISO
  • 2,7 inch LCD (maybe 460K?)
  • 7 or 9 points AF system Safox 8+
  • new 39 zones exposure system
  • same pentamirror, same control layout
  • lens corrections only for kit lenses
  • 5-6 RAW buffer, limitless jpgs
  • AA battery
  • image orientation sensor

That's all folks!
Radu
07-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I'm thinking it's more likely you're describing a new K-M there, to be honest, Radua, (well, where you weren't actually describing a new K-m. ) Unless they intend to keep something like a K20d available, I think the mid-level has to be more... mid-level. Frankly, I'd rather see Pentax *not* try and compete with the bigger brands on their own terms. (I can see no reason at all to not have all the lenses in the correction database, for instance: that'd be just small-minded 'Let's take something away from the higher level for the sake of taking something away, even if it doesn't make it a better camera for amateurs.' )

I'm not sure what they're going to do, but I suspect the only real reason to take away the top LCD is if you want to make a camera that's too small for one.

Especially if the thing runs on in-body AA's anyway, (unlikely, if they want video) they may as well have two control dials. It's really about time Pentax got back in the business of making the student-and-teacher's choice for a reasonable a reasonable price.

(Of course, they could keep turning out K20's for that: at the right price, these would be great for that.)
07-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #44
RaduA

Hi, RML!

The point would be to get a nice portion of this photo-video market soon before canikon gets there and I think they have all the cards in the hand. Besides with a mid range model built like this they could separate it more efficiently from the K-7 (more of a photo tool) and the entry level (only a photo tool). The main problem with K200D (a nice camera IMO) was the absence of the WR kit lenses. If the old Pentax could of done that in March I guess K200D would of met a different fate.
Anyway no mid range Canon has pentaprism or dual wheel control system plus IMO K20D will be an interim fill gap until the real mid range camera appears. IMO k20D is too big and too close to K-7 in some advanced photo features to stay much longer on the market. Plus the price gap is too large for Pentax' good.

Regards,
Radu

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'm thinking it's more likely you're describing a new K-M there, to be honest, Radua, (well, where you weren't actually describing a new K-m. ) Unless they intend to keep something like a K20d available, I think the mid-level has to be more... mid-level. Frankly, I'd rather see Pentax *not* try and compete with the bigger brands on their own terms. (I can see no reason at all to not have all the lenses in the correction database, for instance: that'd be just small-minded 'Let's take something away from the higher level for the sake of taking something away, even if it doesn't make it a better camera for amateurs.' )

I'm not sure what they're going to do, but I suspect the only real reason to take away the top LCD is if you want to make a camera that's too small for one.

Especially if the thing runs on in-body AA's anyway, (unlikely, if they want video) they may as well have two control dials. It's really about time Pentax got back in the business of making the student-and-teacher's choice for a reasonable a reasonable price.

(Of course, they could keep turning out K20's for that: at the right price, these would be great for that.)
07-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #45
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
The point would be to get a nice portion of this photo-video market soon before canikon gets there and I think they have all the cards in the hand. Besides with a mid range model built like this they could separate it more efficiently from the K-7 (more of a photo tool) and the entry level (only a photo tool). The main problem with K200D (a nice camera IMO) was the absence of the WR kit lenses. If the old Pentax could of done that in March I guess K200D would of met a different fate.
Anyway no mid range Canon has pentaprism or dual wheel control system plus IMO K20D will be an interim fill gap until the real mid range camera appears. IMO k20D is too big and too close to K-7 in some advanced photo features to stay much longer on the market. Plus the price gap is too large for Pentax' good.

Regards,
Radu
Hi Radu,
I see one chink in your argument and that is regarding the entry level model. IMO, it's the entry level model that needs all the bells and whistles. If Pentax is going to have a chance of taking a larger share of the market, they need to advance on all fronts.
The entry level needs gadgets to attract the Noobs and the Sups (Step Up From P&S),
The mid level needs sufficient QC, IQ etc. to attract those coming from entry level (across the brands) who have decided to get more serious about photography.
The flagship needs to be able to compete with the big boys.