Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #46

Well, 654D is medium format dslr...

The news says "It will abandon the development of medium-format single-lens reflex cameras designed for professional photographers", unless they were secretly developing a new medium format slr, the only in development medium format camera is (was?) the 645D.

Now of course it would be good to have a confirmation from Pentax, bcs as long as it's not official...

05-10-2007, 03:27 AM   #47
Inactive Account

It seems that alot of questions will be answered on friday:

Article | Reuters

QuoteOriginally posted by Reuters:
TOKYO, May 10 (Reuters) - Pentax Corp. (7750.T: Quote, Profile, Research plans to unveil a midterm business plan on Friday that will outline how it can boost profit on its own instead of accepting a takeover bid by Hoya Corp. (7741.T: Quote, Profile, Research, sources familiar with the situation said.

The Japanese camera and medical equipment maker will aim to almost double its annual operating profit in three years to 10 billion yen ($83 million) in 2009/10, up from 5.5 billion yen expected for the year ended March, the sources said.

Pentax had been asked by top shareholder Sparx Asset Management (8739.Q: Quote, Profile, Research to present an alternative plan on Friday that would be more beneficial to shareholders than accepting Hoya's bid, which the investment group sees as currently the best scenario for Pentax, the sources said.

However, other people familiar with the situation have said Pentax could still consider other options such as a possible management buyout.

Such proposals would not materialise until June because Pentax is required to talk exclusively with Hoya until May 31 under an agreement signed in December, and would have to pay a penalty of 3 billion yen if it talks to a third party before then, the sources said. Pentax President Takashi Watanuki told Reuters in an interview last week his company is still considering the tender bid from high-tech glass maker Hoya, which has offered to pay 770 yen per a share.

Shares in Pentax rose 0.3 percent to 769 yen as of 0140 GMT, while Hoya stock fell 1.6 percent to 3,700 yen.

As part of the midterm strategy, Pentax plans to sell its Tokyo headquarters and quit less profitable businesses such as small printers, the sources said.

Tokyo-based Pentax is scheduled to announce its annual earnings results on Friday.
05-10-2007, 03:28 AM   #48

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
not that I know much about the business world or camera markets but some thoughts FWIW ('cause really is the long future of pentax or hoya / pentax takeover held in the balance of what I post in this forum???...hmmm maybe

I heard a while back after one of the local banks announced more branch closures, that every time a bank closes a branch their share prices go up.

This seems to me be something similar to raise share prices before the next hoya bid stuff and seems to me just to what many businesses often do to raise share prices.

raise cash, cut costs and strip out the less profitable stuff, (all manufacturers have been complaining about p&s profits - I saw a year or so ago that nokia is the largest camera manufacturer in the world now without making a single camera - dont know if true but would likely be close)

announce that you are concentrating hard on high profit stuff with your lean, mean newly focused company and management team and then announce a swag of new products along those high profit product lines.
I think you may be right about raising share prices.

Through all of this I just wish Pentax would get some proper marketing out there. I honestly don't think I have EVER seen a pentax ad! I got my K1000 because other photographers told me about it. I got excited about the DSLRs because I read reviews and a few news releases on the net. I am sure that an ad campaign would bring a lot of new users because pentax's price point is very attractive and really, within the price bracket of their two current DSLRs, they are the best.

At least I think so.
05-10-2007, 05:09 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Niche marketing plan

My entire career has been spent working in niche markets and it is with that prospective I see hope for the mid term plan the present board seems to be following. The key is to service the K mount market only. Get rid of the P & S and medium formate overhead and redirect some of those funds to the K mount. Use the manufacturing capacity that is freed up for production of high profit lenses and K mount bodies. Sony, Fuji, and maybe Samsung will be bringing out new sensors that will allow Pentax to introduce new bodies for smaller but profitable niche markets so that more K mount lenses can be sold.

This leaves the professional out in the cold unless they can live with cameras that have sensors no bigger than FF. Pentax will probably trail the market by 6 to 8 months introducing new models but anybody that comes out with a new sensor would be happy to increase sales by selling to Pentax after initial release. Pentax might have to bring back the FA lenses to accommodate some of these sensors but so what, they will be profitable items.

The markets that they should be targeting is the entry level through the advanced enthusiast and pros that want to work with a mid to small camera. There are a lot of niche markets that fit in nicely with the K mount such as a very small body using pancake lenses. The announcement expected Friday will be interesting and may give us a clue if this is the direction the Pentax board is trying to head. We will probably have to wait until after June 1st to see their complete plan because of the Hoya agreement.

At worst the K mount will survive under some banner so I will continue to enjoy my K10D until that happens.

Regards,

05-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just one word:
stupidity
They are sinking the ship in order to save their own jobs... Hoya, IMHO is and will be the best option to save Pentax.

Pentax is becoming of shell of its former self... and what happens if they can't capture enough buisiness in the DSLR market?
They might be selling well now, but they still are far behind Nikon, Canon, and even Sony

randy
05-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Too many assumptions are being made

[QUOTE=volosong;55852]Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:30 a.m. (JST)

"On top of this, Pentax will continue to overhaul less profitable
businesses. It will abandon the development of medium-format single-lens
reflex cameras designed for professional photographers and specialize in
digital SLR offerings for new and intermediate users."

this also suggests Pentax will exit the compact camera business too.

- - - - -

Concentrate is one thing. Concentrate exclusively on something is another. Have they said they will actually TOTALLY exit the compact camera business? It seems to me that everybody is reading too much into a not-very-precise statement.

They themselves probably don't quite know at this stage. The danger is that prolonged uncertainty at the top has a damaging effect further down the organisation. The sooner they get a clear sense of the direction - whatever it is - the better,

Tim
05-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Just one word:
stupidity, They are sinking the ship in order to save their own jobs... Hoya, IMHO is and will be the best option to save Pentax.
What would stop Hoya keeping the profitable Medical section and selling cameras to Samsung? or simply dumping it altogether..

05-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Pentax is becoming of shell of its former self... and what happens if they can't capture enough buisiness in the DSLR market?
They might be selling well now, but they still are far behind Nikon, Canon, and even Sony

randy
Randy, Pentax is already a shell of its former self. Although I still enjoy the "slant" of the their products, they're a far cry from the outfit that produced my MX in '78 and first LX in '80.

I believe that the K-mount system will survive and perhaps even prosper, although Pentax (at least the current Pentax) may not be the company to make that happen.

Anyway, for now, I'm just going to enjoy shooting pictures. If worst comes to worst, there are attractive alternatives from companies that aren't going away. Indeed - I'm ashamed to say - I was really impressed with my friend's 30D I played with the other day.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-10-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: I just learned to use the editing tool
05-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I believe that the K-mount system will survive and perhaps even prosper, although Pentax (at least the current Pentax) may not be the company to make that happen.

Jer
Where is Ricoh when you need them? I know Samsung ain't really up to the task. It took them ages to release that SDHC firmware which doesn't really help alot of people.
05-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar enough with Pentax as a business to be able to speculate on any of this. I can say that selling headquarters property, if it has appreciated greatly, can be a smart move. The company that I used to work for ($6billion in sales, consistant growth and a solid balance sheet with plenty of cash and no debt) sold it's headquarters property because it had appreciated to a point where it became the proverbial deal that they couldn't refuse. If it's being sold as part of a strategic plan to grow the business, that's OK too.
I've owned, used and enjoyed Pentax cameras since the sixties and would hate to see them go, but there's no point in speculating based on the kind of info that we get.
Enjoy your cameras and watch it play out.
05-11-2007, 01:08 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Latest News from Friday meeting:

Deals of the day -- mergers and acquisitions | News | Mergers/Acquisitions | Reuters

"Bid-target Pentax Corp. said there is a strong possibility that it will be able to find a white knight to save it from a takeover offer by Hoya Corp."

No mention of discontinuing 645D!
05-11-2007, 03:26 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
"Bid-target Pentax Corp. said there is a strong possibility that it will be able to find a white knight to save it from a takeover offer by Hoya Corp."
Please be Fujifilm, please be Fujifilm

ok, so i know it wont be, but i can still hope right?
05-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #58
Veteran Member

volosong: I think you should edit the subject title.

645D IS NOT DEAD

JohnCPentax from Pentax USA has posted in dpreview and has made it clear that the official position of 645D has not changed, it is still under development.
05-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #59
Inactive Account

The 645D is alive and well - not that I will probably ever be able to afford one (till the kids grow up anyway). I never doubted it for a minute - that original press article was very well crafted in its ambiguity re medium format - it never stated digital it just left that up to the "Glass is half empty people" and canikions with an agenda and/or penchant for gloating.

Cameras are absolutely amazing - they are like choosing a football team to support. I have never once had any one ask me what TV brand I use and I have never had to defend my choice of toaster, yet!

I hope they televise the Pentax, Sparx, Hoya meetings - I want to buy a Pentax flag, hat and scarf and boo and hiss at Hoya & Sparx. (Whilst consuming lots of beer and chips) I can throw the chips at the canon adds during the intervals.

GO TEAM PENTAX!!!
05-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote

I hope they televise the Pentax, Sparx, Hoya meetings - I want to buy a Pentax flag, hat and scarf and boo and hiss at Hoya & Sparx. (Whilst consuming lots of beer and chips) I can throw the chips at the canon adds during the intervals.

GO TEAM PENTAX!!!
I REALLY love that idea!!! Count me in.