Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2007, 03:10 AM   #91

Let us not forget that Japanese companies do not think like westerners...

There are normally long-term plans in place, that go beyond 10-20 years....

08-25-2007, 04:21 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax07 Quote
Let us not forget that Japanese companies do not think like westerners...

There are normally long-term plans in place, that go beyond 10-20 years....
Neither let us forget that the mythical prowess of Japanese management is largely hyped hoopla.
08-25-2007, 05:45 AM   #93

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
I've been projecting the end of the Pentax 645D for weeks now, several times right here in this forum. Building a digital medium format camera is a very expensive process, while the market for such an expensive camera is relatively miniscule. So, ultimately, it just didn't make sense to sink so much money into a camera that would probably never sell well enough to recover the initial investment. The Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III simply reinforced that logic, putting a final period on an idea that was likely already pretty much dead.

I suspect we'll continue to see Pentax move away from the extremes of the overall DSLR marketplace, focusing almost entirely on the much more profitable, so-called bread and butter, low to middle range DSLR market (that now covered by the Pentax K1x0D through Canon EOS 5D). As I've said before, this suggests any camera above the K10D will be aimed squarely at those cameras in the same general price range as the Canon EOS 5D. This also suggests we won't be seeing a new Pentax aimed at the more expensive DSLR's.

stewart
I think the writing is on the wall that MF's days are numbered. FF sensor technology is improving exponentially. It seems inevitable that FF sensors will be able to produce IQ comparable to today's best MF sensors in the near future. Naturally, all equipment associated with a FF sensor will be much more economical than any MF equipment. I think Pentax is wise in putting the 645D "on the backburner" (which I believe is their euphemism for "in the graveyard").

Ted
08-25-2007, 09:56 PM   #94
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote
I think the writing is on the wall that MF's days are numbered. FF sensor technology is improving exponentially. It seems inevitable that FF sensors will be able to produce IQ comparable to today's best MF sensors in the near future. Naturally, all equipment associated with a FF sensor will be much more economical than any MF equipment. I think Pentax is wise in putting the 645D "on the backburner" (which I believe is their euphemism for "in the graveyard").

Ted
Medium format will always have the advantage as it is bigger, just like 135 will always have the advantage over APS, size matters. And i was one of those people that was planning on getting a 645D down the track.

08-25-2007, 11:10 PM   #95
Veteran Member

i dont think resolution is the only reason to get a larger format sensor

the main reason i would go for it is to be able to throw a 100mm lens on there which would still be pretty wide, and retain all of the DOFcompression.....

make it ten mp i dont care about that (well I do, but i dont know all of the science of that...plus if im shooting 645D then maybe im shooting a billboard. gimme 22mp)
08-26-2007, 06:32 AM   #96

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
Medium format will always have the advantage as it is bigger, just like 135 will always have the advantage over APS, size matters. And i was one of those people that was planning on getting a 645D down the track.
I certainly don't dispute that all else being equal, a bigger sensor will be able to produce better photos than a smaller one. The problem that I foresee for MF, is, IMHO, that the FF sensors will be so good (say in 5 years) that even at poster size, one will not be able to detect any difference between these and the digital MF. So again, I'm not saying that MF does not produce better images in theory. But in practice, in the not far distant future, the IQ differences will be so negligible that the cost benefits of the FF format will put MF out of business. I have no axe to grind with MF. I think it is a wonderful technology. I just think that very powerful forces in technology and economics will dictate the future I speak of.

Regards,

Ted
08-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #97
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
Smart move by Pentax.

Most digital APS-C sensor cameras are already exceeding resolving power of finest regular 35mm film emulsions...

What makes you say so? I've read some time ago that French Photograpgers from "Chasseur d'Images" had estimated the resolution of the Kodachrome64 film to be around 30Mpixel. Were they talking another thing or just mistaken?

08-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #98

Most likely print film.

You can still get a higher resolution image from a 35mm negative/slide with a dedicated scanner, but unless it is slide film it will not have a superior image quality in most cases.
08-27-2007, 08:01 AM   #99
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
Most likely print film.

You can still get a higher resolution image from a 35mm negative/slide with a dedicated scanner, but unless it is slide film it will not have a superior image quality in most cases.
Nope. KODACHROME 64. One of the finest slide ever.