Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
645D is dead! - maybe not.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:30 a.m. (JST)

Pentax To Sell Tokyo HQ, Quit Low-Profit Ops To Lift Corp Value

TOKYO (Nikkei)--Pentax Corp. (7750) plans to sell its Tokyo headquarters and withdraw from less profitable businesses under strategies the camera maker has crafted to block a takeover bid by optical glass manufacturer Hoya Corp. (7741), The Nikkei learned Wednesday.

text of article includes

"On top of this, Pentax will continue to overhaul less profitable
businesses. It will abandon the development of medium-format single-lens
reflex cameras designed for professional photographers and specialize in
digital SLR offerings for new and intermediate users."

this also suggests Pentax will exit the compact camera business too.

- - - - -

From: Pentax to sell Tokyo HQ, Discontinues 645D Development: News Discussion Forum: Digital Photography Review

Nikkei front page has headline text. Link to full story requires membership/registration.

Last edited by volosong; 05-12-2007 at 08:43 AM.
05-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

This is sad. I mean 645D is only months away from launch; why would they kill it at the last trimester? How much money could they save this way?
05-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #18

Exiting the compact camera business is probably a good thing... apart from the under-water capabilities of one (?) model, there doesn't seem to be anything that they do much better than the Canons, Nikons, Fujis, Olys etc.

The 645D plans being dropped is a little disappointing but it appears that they were far enough down the road for the research and alpha/beta models to be shelved for possible future resurrection.

I hope these actions are sufficient to ward off whatever imminent existential threats they might have been facing. Here's looking forward to more lenses and, possibly, more bodies.
05-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Is this for real?

There are a lot of people investing in the 645 lenses already. To cancel the release of this camera is a betrayal to a lot of customers who have been wishing for this medium format camera.

As a brand, it is sometimes important to have a top end camera around to signify its own place in the industry.

This is a bad news hard to swallow...

05-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can understand Pentax's decision (if it's true) based on the low number of 645NII's sold. They've always made mad merketing decisions, and this sure looks like one of them...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Not sure if this is the case but are Pentax currently making film medium format cameras and they are now stating that they wont any longer. The OP text does not actually state that it is digital and I don't believe that the 645D was being touted by Pentax as a Professional camera.

As an aside what is the definition of a pro camera? It seems subjective as It would appear to me that a professional wedding photographer has different needs from a pro landscape and pro sports photographer.
Did Pentax ever state that the 645D was a pro level camera?

Anyway, as I have said before I have been continuously hearing of Pentax demise (with what seems glee from some) for many years now and still it never happens.

Oh well, if anyone wants to dump there equipment I'll give you $10 Australian for your K10D and a 77mm Ltd lens - hurry this offer may end soon
05-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Oh well, if anyone wants to dump there equipment I'll give you $10 Australian for your K10D and a 77mm Ltd lens
I'll give $15, but that must include shipping

Btw, is it possible to get a copy of that article without reducing my LBA fund?

05-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
-snip-
Did Pentax ever state that the 645D was a pro level camera?
I'm having some problems thinking of the 645D as not a camera aimed at professionals.

I'm also having problems to understand what all this means and if it is for real. A caamera company that not affording to keep the HQ, do they have money for all the R&D needed to make cameras and lenses? What is true and what is odd rumours? And is the article a reliable source and what about a good translation?

Thinking of the source (Herb Chong posted about it over at DPR) I guess this isn't just guesswork.

To me the 645D has been an important symbol. It has been delayed several times and it was hardly I could believe there really was a working item at the last photoshow. Now it seems to be vapourware more than ever. I feel a bit lost about all this.
05-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #24

Buy or not to buy

I was just about to order k10d and 360fgz but I am unsure now. What does this mean and what does this say about Pentax future ? Does anybody have crystal ball ? To invest or to not.
05-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #25

doesn't look good but well we will see, the company even posted a profit last year and has two products which might make it survive the hurricane... but we will see - nothing else to say.

Reason for sale of HQ - now that is a really desperate way to free cash, are they that much in debt? Very strange move... I have a kind of relegation, "sinking" feeling. Well it certainly is interesting... this one is certainly more dramatic than if Hoya Pentax just did a Konica Minolta...

Pentax is not dying without a fight
05-09-2007, 03:42 PM   #26

This is why listening to the official words as they come out is best. Speculation from folks who say they have "inside" knowledge is usually nothing more than speculation.
05-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Shock..Perhaps.

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:30 a.m. (JST)

Pentax To Sell Tokyo HQ, Quit Low-Profit Ops To Lift Corp Value

TOKYO (Nikkei)--Pentax Corp. (7750) plans to sell its Tokyo headquarters and withdraw from less profitable businesses under strategies the camera maker has crafted to block a takeover bid by optical glass manufacturer Hoya Corp. (7741), The Nikkei learned Wednesday.

text of article includes

"On top of this, Pentax will continue to overhaul less profitable
businesses. It will abandon the development of medium-format single-lens
reflex cameras designed for professional photographers and specialize in
digital SLR offerings for new and intermediate users."

this also suggests Pentax will exit the compact camera business too.

- - - - -

From: Pentax to sell Tokyo HQ, Discontinues 645D Development: News Discussion Forum: Digital Photography Review

Nikkei front page has headline text. Link to full story requires membership/registration.
I wish to remain calm till I speak to Pentax. If this is the case, it is a really shocker to say the least. Well...No problem. Will continue to use what I have, as it has done marvelously up until now. It didn't say the 645D specifically. Could be a reference to the 645 analogue camera. I hope so.

Ben
05-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do not believe anything until it is final with bones and flesh. Remember that just a few weeks ago Pentax photography division was about to get under Hoya's management...

Christos
05-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #29

How to keep a photographer from hyper ventilating:
Fisrt, send him here to read this interesting article:
Sketching? | photostream

Then, suggest (softly) that since we KNOW Pentax is bringing out new DSLRs later this year that may well have pixel counts far higher than the K10D (Okay; re-read the part of the article about 10 Mp DSLRs capabilities as a MEDIUM FORMAT PLATFORM) then the news isn't as grim as suggested. THEN, as was pointed out about half way through the original DPReview thread, it still isn't clear that the 645D is Tango Uniform (toes up—dead, in civilian speak) and certainly isn't clear that Pentax is in trouble. Having survived several telecom mergers, I know that the move by Pentax may seem to be a "backs against the wall" move, but I for one am unwilling to believe that for a moment! Only when the fat lady sings will I become concerned about Pentax disappearing, and she ain't done it yet!
So calm down fellow Pentaxians and lets see where this all goes, okay? Useless speculation is a great way to sell newspapers, not follow the future of our favorite camera company! Just my 2 cents!
Rob W
05-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
I was just about to order k10d and 360fgz but I am unsure now. What does this mean and what does this say about Pentax future ? Does anybody have crystal ball ? To invest or to not.
You have some nice glass in your collection. No real reason to not 'upgrade' to the K10D. The AF-360FGZ will work just fine on your DS, and the K10D too. If I were you, I wouldn't base a decision today on what might or what might not happen in the future. If the K10D will do the job for you . . . get one. Like you, I have a DS. In fact, I have two of them. But honestly, I haven't snapped the shutter even once since purchasing my K10D. I am extremely satisfied with my K10D and am glad I purchased it. Base your decision on today, not tomorrow.