Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Another K-7 Review

Pentax K-7 Full Review | NeoCamera.com

07-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quote: The design and ergonomics of the Pentax K-7 are good but reflect compromises needed to make such a feature-rich camera relatively compact. Particularly, the LCD is too easy to leave marks on and the neck-strap gets in the way.

Well that's it then, I'm off to buy a Nikon D300s
07-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #3

Just read that a little while ago. Strangely written review, and not the most in-depth. Not sure I understand who the website is really aimed at.

Nice to see someone judge the high ISO performance reasonably (i.e. it's never going to beat fullf-rame, but the differences between competing APS-C sensors are basically down to the manufacturer's approach to in-camera processing).

And they are right - it's a shame to see the bracketing button go.

EDIT:
Yeah, Mike - I did find that "con" more than a bit funny. Maybe a D5000 is more what you're looking for? You can rotate the display inwards so it'll never get smudged!
07-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Every DSLR can produce RAW, JPEG or both types of images but the Pentax K-7 adds two extra features to its RAW support. The first feature is a choice of format, either Pentax's PEF or Adobe's DNG. The main difference is that PEF is more precisely suited to the Pentax K-7 while DNG is more portable. The second feature is in-camera RAW development.
I don't understand that comment at all. As I have understood the actual information saved is no different...yes? No? I dislike reviews which make such coments off-hand without supporting arguments.

QuoteQuote:
This warning is not really useful as using a flash is frequently ineffective and can ruin the photograph.
This makes me question if this dolt ever actually used more than the camera on it's cell phone.

Last edited by brecklundin; 07-28-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added content...
07-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think that's a pretty good review. It's interesting that they put the K7 in the same company (Highest End models) as the D300, EOS 5D etc, rather than the same class as the D90, 50D etc etc:

Digital SLR Models: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Konica-Minolta | NeoCamera.com

I like their review subject headings: suitability / capability / usability / performance and their general conclusions for the K7 seem reasonable.

I also like their sample photos:

Pentax K-7 Sample Images | NeoCamera.com

since they incorporate some night scenes and high-ISO shots that reflect the kind of environments I like to photograph in.

The K7 1600 and 3200 ISO shots are particularly interesting.

When I first saw the full 1600 ISO images as they downloaded and saw the very noisy rendering of the dark sky for example it was quite alarming, but scaled down to print sizes image quality isn't too bad. Not as good as the D90 high ISO sample images, of course, in terms of IQ, but still quite creditable nonetheless.

Last edited by rawr; 07-28-2009 at 08:36 PM.
07-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have yet to read their review. But I like this line:

"The K-7 is absolutely feature-rich and suitable for every type of photography. It has built-in image stabilization, automatic horizon correction, 100% viewfinder, 5.2 FPS drive. It is weather and color resistant to -10C."

Good thing too. I hate it when excess colour shuts my shooting down.
07-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's a couple of threads covering this...but here is a few highlights....I think it's a fair review

"By now, it is clear that the K-7 is a well thought-out DSLR with priority given to direct access to common functions. At the same time, the Pentax K-7 has an unprecedented level of customization available."

Hopefully the firmware update will help this....

"Focusing is fast and accurate, but not top-of-class. The fastest focusing camera tested here to date, the Sony Alpha A700 which focuses nearly instantly while the K-7 has a short-but-noticeable focus-lag. Continuous AF is not stellar either, with most high-end DSLR cameras being able to keep up with a moving subject better than the K-7."

"Conclusion

The Pentax K-7 is a DSLR with an incredible feature-set, no other camera does everything this one does. Its wealth of features, many of them unique or uncommon, helps users take better pictures. "

07-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Color resistance

I found Tri-X to be particularly color-resistant. Didn't matter which developer I used - never a color to be found.

Maybe it was my technique ....
07-29-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Metering changed considerably. Both K-7 and K20D have good metering systems, the main difference is that when they do miss, the K-7 over-exposes while the K20D under-exposes.
This is pretty interesting. Sounds like we're moving towards Nikon here.
07-29-2009, 06:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting samples, I see that they are based in Montreal.

The review is not bad, a few typos here and there but better than average IMHO.
07-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I thought it was quite a good review, tbh.

Wonder when dpreview will publish theirs...
07-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Wonder when dpreview will publish theirs...
I guess soon. It will be very interesting.
Great blogs mickey btw. I love your urban explorations of Tokyo. And thanks for the link to ONAKA Koji's work. Very good stuff.
07-30-2009, 02:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Not a bad review, overall. Besides, they show good pictures of Montréal (Québec).