Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

645D Has Died in the Embryo

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Pentax to Sell Tokyo HQs, Quit MF and P&S Businesses

Really bad news for the long awaited users but maybe really good to the company's financial status as the 645D will very likely to be a financial burden to Pentax anyway.

I don't know if this is a good or bad news to existing Pentax DSLR users (well, I mean APS-C ones of course). Good thing is Pentax still confirms and commits in the DSLR business and their determination is really so high than anyone would ever expect. But the bad thing is that they sell their last property in order to further put bets on the gambling table.

05-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
Inactive Account

hmm, don't like the sound of it,....
but for my guess, more like , put on ICE,...
kodak is notorious, for their horrible price on larger ccd's and deliver problems,...
so once pentax gets their partnership mfg going, and have secured there source,.... there still be a 645D waiting,... maybe I'am dreaming, meanwhile, we should be happy to see, that pentax sees the priority, to push a pro level DSLR in aps/ff format to market
just my 2 cents, Rob

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Pentax to Sell Tokyo HQs, Quit MF and P&S Businesses

Really bad news for the long awaited users but maybe really good to the company's financial status as the 645D will very likely to be a financial burden to Pentax anyway.

I don't know if this is a good or bad news to existing Pentax DSLR users (well, I mean APS-C ones of course). Good thing is Pentax still confirms and commits in the DSLR business and their determination is really so high than anyone would ever expect. But the bad thing is that they sell their last property in order to further put bets on the gambling table.
05-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Some one over a DPR suggested that this may be pentax freeing up a whole load of capital, possibly to engage in a share buy back. The other thing is it said nothing about medium format digital, it only said medium format, incase anyone was wondering pentax are still making 67 IIs and 645 N IIs, most likely they have just cut production of the last of their film lines
05-09-2007, 11:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I am waiting for the official press release for confirmation. I have checked other news wires reports, and other financial news reports, and none mentioned anything about medium format cameras or 645D being canceled; all of them only reported the sale of Tokyo HQ. So I am wondering if the Nikkei.net report was just its reporter's interpretation, which, of course, is subjected to errors.

05-10-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
645: This is either simply not true or at least not the last word (in the Poker game).
05-10-2007, 02:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Of course, none of this is official. The Nikkei Net article quotes unnamed "sources." The Reuters article appears based on that Nikkei Net article, including the same quotes from unknown sources. According to Reuters, the official announcement will be made Friday.

Regardless, given the long declining medium format business, it should not surprise anyone to see yet another company withdrawn from that market - if that turns out to actually be Pentax's intention.

stewart
05-10-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just one word:
stupidity
They are sinking the ship in order to save their own jobs... Hoya, IMHO is and will be the best option to save Pentax.

Pentax is becoming of shell of its former self... and what happens if they can't capture enough buisiness in the DSLR market?
They might be selling well now, but they still are far behind Nikon, Canon, and even Sony

randy

05-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Just one word:
stupidity
They are sinking the ship in order to save their own jobs... Hoya, IMHO is and will be the best option to save Pentax.

Pentax is becoming of shell of its former self... and what happens if they can't capture enough buisiness in the DSLR market?
They might be selling well now, but they still are far behind Nikon, Canon, and even Sony

randy
Randy, I have to agree with you. All of this BS could have been avoided if they accepted the Hoya offer in December. They kicked out Urano, the one guy who had actually made the optical (camera/lenses) division profitable.

NaCl(short sighted IMHO)H2O
05-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #9

I dont understand why instead building on success (TIPA | Technical Image Press Association | Awards 2007) is Pentax going hard way. Instead building momentum, marketing k10d as Best D-SLR Expert: Pentax K10D by TIPA there are problems inside and uncertainty.
05-10-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Just one word:
stupidity

randy
It is my understanding the Hoya wants to sell Pentax imaging and keep the medical division, so a Hoya buy out would lead to the cannibalization of the company.
05-10-2007, 08:38 AM   #11

I really don't think there is anything to worry about. If Pentax is selling, then it is to scrape together enough cash to fend off Hoya, so they can prevent the loss of their camera division. IF the 645 is cancelled, it is probably "for now", although I still haven't seen any hard evidence of Pentax not intending to complete the 645. Only time will tell.
05-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I finally got dragged into one of these...

I could post a serious response to all these rumors, but the fact that one of the quoted sources is another forum thread, well that's just funny. The newest article I saw on Reuters was that a major shareholder wants Pentax to come up with an alternative to the buyout. (their plan to double profits by 2009/2010).

Doesn't quite sound like utter doom and gloom.. but just in case, I'll be going outside now to run around and yell "They sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

ps. Sorry, I've had an ultra-silly day at work, I had to run with this.

-Dan
05-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If Pentax stays alive, the name stays alive and life goes on.

If Pentax gets gobbled up and people jump ship..I'll be relishing the price drop and sell offs of Pentax glass..where I'll be more than happy to pick'em up.

:P

Either way its Pentax K Mount ftw.
05-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
I finally got dragged into one of these...

I could post a serious response to all these rumors, but the fact that one of the quoted sources is another forum thread, well that's just funny. The newest article I saw on Reuters was that a major shareholder wants Pentax to come up with an alternative to the buyout. (their plan to double profits by 2009/2010).

Doesn't quite sound like utter doom and gloom.. but just in case, I'll be going outside now to run around and yell "They sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

ps. Sorry, I've had an ultra-silly day at work, I had to run with this.

-Dan
Agreed. Here are the two latest updates, the first from The Japan Times and the second from Reuters.

Pentax, under pressure, drafts three-year plan | The Japan Times Online

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=media&storyID=nT31465

Don't Panic!! We are simply watching the corporate world at work and cannot change the outcome anyway.
05-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #15

"The newest article I saw on Reuters was that a major shareholder wants Pentax to come up with an alternative to the buyout. (their plan to double profits by 2009/2010). "

Why is this so hard? They don't need a complicated plan, just double the production of lens, and voila'.