Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
FA 50mm/1.4: 7 elements in 6 groups. DA* 55mm/1.4: 8 elements in 7 groups. Source: Pentax Normal Prime Lenses

I'm no expert on optics, but I think that means they have different optical designs.
I was referring to the F-50 and FA-50

08-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cousinsane Quote
Well, if you bought an expensive short-tele portrait lens as general purpose lens. Good for you.

I am sure the F1.4 aperture will come in handy when you take low light hand held landscape shots
When I bought it, i got it for 6500 swedish kronor. The FA50 was 5900 and the Sigma was 6000. So for 500kr extra I got a weather sealed lens. 8 % more.

The 40ltd was to slow, the 43 ltd was 50% more exp. The 70 ltd was slower and the same price, but no weather sealings. The 77 ltd was way way more pricy.

You call it expensive, I call it cheap
08-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
The difference in closeness you'd get from the 50 to the 55 isn't very much.
I calculated 42cm (16.53 inch).

I think a portrait lens for APS-C should be at least 60mm (yeah, yeah, I know, you can do "portraits" with a 10-20).

I reckon 55mm is a compromise between getting close to a classic portrait focal range and allowing the lens to be useful for other purposes as well.
08-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I would think that for portrait 58mm would be best. I have a Helios 58mm. Works great for portraits. At some point I'll probably get the Voigtlander 58.

I can highly recommend the Helios though.

08-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Well, I still have my 85 if I want to get further away from a subject, but since when is getting too close to a model a bad thing. The difference in closeness you'd get from the 50 to the 55 isn't very much.

I can't imagine what you shoot wide open, but I've used my 85 1.4 for 1,000's of portraits over the years and I believe the only time I ever shot it at f1.4 was when I first got it and was testing it. F2 is the largest aperture I'd ever consider shooting a person, as less than that, the depth of field is just too small. I would also never shoot at f2 if the person wasn't facing straight on to the lens. I always like to get both eyes in focus in my shots.

An f2.8 lens people can be concerned about sharpness wide open, but I think arguing about 1.4's being sharp wide open is being a little picky, as how many shots does one really ever take at that aperture? I think if you were called upon to do a paid model shoot and you shot stuff at 1.4, you wouldn't be asked back.
I really like the look of portraiture where DOF is so limited that the ears are out of focus.
What I shoot for clients is not necessarily what I shoot to satisfy myself. I have shot at or close to wide open for a number of paid model shoots though.

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I would think that for portrait 58mm would be best. I have a Helios 58mm. Works great for portraits. At some point I'll probably get the Voigtlander 58.

I can highly recommend the Helios though.
I just sold mine in favour of the DA*55. Never tried the helios. I do with the 55 was a bit longer, I thought the Voigtlander was just about the perfect portrait focal length.
08-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #66
K-9
Veteran Member

It would be interesting if Tamron's new 60mm Macro lens came in a Pentax mount, but I'm not sure it ever will.
08-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #67
Veteran Member

It would be interesting if Tamron's new 60mm Macro lens came in a Pentax mount, but I'm not sure it ever will.
Wow...I did not hear about the tammy 60mm Macro. One of the nicest macros in the Canon line-up is their EF-S 60mm. Like if the Tammy can meet or exceed that lens' IQ, I would be on it instantly. My use would be for product shots I have found macro lenses among the best for product shooting and in my small shooting area, something around the 60-70mm range is IDEAL.

A real bummer to read no Pentax mount...
08-03-2009, 02:11 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
My use would be for product shots I have found macro lenses among the best for product shooting and in my small shooting area, something around the 60-70mm range is IDEAL.
Have a look at the Sigma 70/2.8 Macro. Awesome lens. Member larryinlc did a product shot and a half with it.

08-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I really like the look of portraiture where DOF is so limited that the ears are out of focus.
What I shoot for clients is not necessarily what I shoot to satisfy myself. I have shot at or close to wide open for a number of paid model shoots though.

I just sold mine in favour of the DA*55. Never tried the helios. I do with the 55 was a bit longer, I thought the Voigtlander was just about the perfect portrait focal length.
I have tried the 50 F1.4 against a shop copy of the 55 F1.4, and there is no comparison. The 55 wipes the floor with it between F1.4 and F2.8 and has better bokeh, colour and contrast at all apertures. Must have been the other good copy.

Did I buy one? No, too expensive in the UK by the time I made my mind up However the Voigtlander 58 looks like a rather nice alternative and its actually quite a bit cheaper in the UK (and handles/looks more like the other LTD FA* lenses apart from the AF). Centre resolution and contrast wide open is still much better than the 50 which is actually poor until F2.8 and therefore not much more useful than a 16-50 which has better overall contrast as well.

I may well trade in the FA 50 1.4 and 28 F2.8 against the voigtlander 58mm and 20mm, the latter to go into service as a landscape lens.

There are a lot of bad copies in shops, but thats life. Caveat emptor and check the returns policy. According to my local dealer, returns frequency on top end Pentax lenses is no higher than Canon, mainly because buyers are quite fussy and will test the lenses. Its not uncommon for people to return 2-3 Canon L lenses to get one they are happy with.
08-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #70
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Come on, people. We all know the 50/1.4 is soft at wider stops. But then that is what gives it such a great dreamy portrait personality. If you want macro tack sharpness, buy a macro.
08-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Come on, people. We all know the 50/1.4 is soft at wider stops. But then that is what gives it such a great dreamy portrait personality. If you want macro tack sharpness, buy a macro.
You know...I have come to the same conclusion about lenses in general...the old saying "...horses for courses..." really seems to apply when pondering a lens.

Without really knowing/understanding what or why, I seem to have always bought a lense for it's characteristics and even if those characteristics were what others might consider unacceptable, as long as I know what the lense will give me and is mechanically sound, I have never been let down by IQ.

The only area(s) a lense(s) has even been close to a disappointment might be AF speed or noise. I will admit that when I first returned to using Pentax and received my three limiteds (2@FA & 1@DA) the AF noise drove me nuts. See the last time I shot with a Pentax there were no AF lenses a college student or even a young software designer could afford. But with the new lenses, the key is I am getting exactly the type of shots I hoped. Again "...horses for courses..." and I can work around the noise.

I guess that is my long winded way of saying right-on!! The ability to look at a single pixel and say a lens if "sharper" is something, to this day, I have not clue what it means nor do I feel it's the best evaluation of a lense. Plus I also have a feel that unless a given lenses, and mean the exact same lense, is tested in multiple bodies even the measurbations are of questionable merit.

If the DA* 55 gives the things you want from a fun new lens, then it is by definition a good lense regardless of what any review tells you. Same goes for any other lense you buy. Worst case you by a lense , hate it or simply don't quite like it for some hard to pin down reason, then sell it can get something else...To me, reviews give me a change to be aware of new features or commentary from people with far more experience than myself. Now and then a review can help show an truly awful piece of gear, but these days, even average lenses are pretty danged good.

I know I don't want to take people pics where it looks like you could cut a roast with the chin/face of the person in the shot.
08-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Isnt it better to have a sharp lens and decide yourself when and where you want it soft in PP??
08-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Isnt it better to have a sharp lens and decide yourself when and where you want it soft in PP??
In my opinion,, not always. But if that is your preference, you bet. Everyone has they own preference, this is not now and never has been an exact science.

One reason I do not like softening in post is the shot almost always looks like it was prcessed to get that softness...meaning it is not a part of the shot as originally taken. There are some ways to do it which give excellent results, but for a price as a rule, or at best the price of your time in post.
08-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
In my opinion,, not always. But if that is your preference, you bet. Everyone has they own preference, this is not now and never has been an exact science.

One reason I do not like softening in post is the shot almost always looks like it was prcessed to get that softness...meaning it is not a part of the shot as originally taken. There are some ways to do it which give excellent results, but for a price as a rule, or at best the price of your time in post.
Or you got the optioin to crop your picture if you shoot with a sharper lens than with a softer lens.

Its funny how it is. First - OMG its terribad!! Then - OMG, Its too sharp
There are always people that complain isnt there
08-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #75
Veteran Member

And its funny that NOW sharpness is a bad thing, when the Legendary FA*85 is praised for its sharpness...