Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #121
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Sorry, but that just isn't true for everyone. *You* might have a linear relationship between performance and cost, but the reality is that there is a well accepted "law of diminishing returns" and some people are willing to pay more to get some extra degree of performance.
This is absolutely true. A 700 dollar lens isn't 7 times better than the kit lens, but it will have some features that are better than it. Lenses like the limiteds tend to hold their value, or sometimes even increase in value due to their quality. On the other hand, cheaper lenses tend to drop in value over time. This is not just true of Pentax, it is true of every brand out there and every brand out there has a top tier of lenses that you pay dearly for if you choose to.

Edit: Let me make it clear that this has nothing to do with DP Review's review of this lens, or with trying to make others love every lens that Pentax makes. I just get irritated when people believe that Pentax should not sell lenses for more than some arbitrary price. It makes no sense. If you want a cheap, all in one solution, get a point and shoot. If you want slightly less cheap, buy a dslr and use manual focus lenses. These are real options, but if you want top level, weather sealed, SDM lenses, expect to pay for them.

Last edited by Rondec; 08-08-2009 at 01:12 PM.
08-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #122
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Alphonse Quote
According to all of the reviews on this thread, we have no choice but to pay and tell one single opinion : you have to be happy with your stuff and don't tell something if you're not happy
It is funny that I don't recall many actual DA*55 owners to have anything less than very positive reviews. This thread is far longer than the one that were about the slrgear' review of the same lens and proclaim it "the sharpest fast 50 of all".

To K-9

Don't struggle in vain against wheatfield; he is a fanatic, no a fundamentalist Pentax.

I should say it's a good thing because I love Pentax brand but here it is too agressive and I don't like these kind of person.
You're very wrong here mostly because:

1) Wheatfield is many things but for sure not a fanboy. From the might of your 12 posts here you may not know this but this guy has spoken very harsh against Pentax in the past and has no warm and fuzzy spot for them.
2) Unlike 99.99% of the rest of us here he had a lot of around 50mm lenses (Pentax, VL and other mfgrs) and decades of experience using them.

In the end no one forces you or anyone else to buy this lens or any other Pentax makes but choice is good and more choice is better.

Radu
08-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #123
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'd never join a club which would accept me as a member.
Plagiarist.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 08-08-2009 at 02:52 PM.
08-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #124
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The same whine was targeted towards the A* 85/1.4, A* 135/1.8, A* 200/4 Macro, FA* 200/4 Macro etc....Now they a worth more used than when brand new....
I don't see how you drag the 85's into this, because there were no cheaper alternatives when I bought my FA 85mm in the 90's. The point here being you can go into B&H and see both 50's new right now, one being $250, the other $650. I didn't have an option when I purchased my FA 85mm from BandH way back when for $800-$850 (I forget what I paid). Believe me, if there was a non star Pentax 85mm f1.4 available new for $450 at the same time, I would have easily saved that extra $400 toward something else.

08-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #125
Damn Brit

There are a lot of people out there who actually buy something because it is expensive. Buyers of higher end Canon and Nikon for example who buy equipment that is way more than they need. Canon and Nikon have known it for a long time and taken advantage of it. Perhaps this will also work for Pentax but I think only if they get the balance right and produce equipment in varying price ranges.
08-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Plagiarist.
yeah, and from my brother no less!
08-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #127
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
yeah, and from my brother no less!
I have a CD of your more serious work. You are a class act.
08-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #128
Veteran Member

I have a CD of your more serious work. You are a class act.
no, I'm a glass act. Shattering performances with clarity rarely seen in today's world. A window into my soul...well, if I still had one.

08-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I don't see how you drag the 85's into this, because there were no cheaper alternatives when I bought my FA 85mm in the 90's. The point here being you can go into B&H and see both 50's new right now, one being $250, the other $650. I didn't have an option when I purchased my FA 85mm from BandH way back when for $800-$850 (I forget what I paid). Believe me, if there was a non star Pentax 85mm f1.4 available new for $450 at the same time, I would have easily saved that extra $400 toward something else.
Funny, because I cant see any option for a sharp 50mm lens, and no, I dont get a FA50 and use it at 2.8 to get it sharp, then there is no point in a 50 is there. So you are forced to buy the DA*55. Even more funny, I dont see any other realy fast lens that is weather sealed, so you are forced to get the DA*55.

And you cant realy complain about 650$ for a lens, americans are realy realy spoilt, that or you make like 2 cents an hour at work. USA going downhill?
Dont think I can get a lens except the kit lens for less than that here.
08-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #130
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Funny, because I cant see any option for a sharp 50mm lens, and no, I dont get a FA50 and use it at 2.8 to get it sharp, then there is no point in a 50 is there. So you are forced to buy the DA*55. Even more funny, I dont see any other realy fast lens that is weather sealed, so you are forced to get the DA*55.

And you cant realy complain about 650$ for a lens, americans are realy realy spoilt, that or you make like 2 cents an hour at work. USA going downhill?
Dont think I can get a lens except the kit lens for less than that here.
Unless someone can point me to some astronomical MTF scores wide open, it's just like any other lens where it's always going to be sharper a few stops down. While it may be sharper than other lenses wide open, by the way the posts keep piling up here, you'd think it was sharper at 1.4 than the 43ltd at f4.

Even if you say 200% of it's 260% price increase over the FA is for the weather sealing, it still isn't a 60% overall sharper lens than the FA. Considering it's only for an APS sensor, $650 is way overpriced, IMO. Especially when you can get a Canon 50 f1.4 for $400 and a Nikon G 50mm lens for $464, and both can be utilized in Full Frame.

While it's not new, and not weathersealed, I still say people need to try the F 50 1.4.
08-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #131
Site Supporter

What does full frame have to do with it? Last time I checked, Pentax didn't make a full frame camera, but those who have checked it say that it is a full frame lens.
08-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #132

Reading this thread, now I can see clearly what's happening... so let me tell you the whole story.
Recently (a few years ago) some evil martian power has silently taken the control on our sweet and beloved Pentax free world. This evil martian power is called Hoya and their weapon (a flying machine spitting green pieces of paper) was simply unstoppable. Once they have taken the control, they've begun to pick all the inhabitants of the old Pentax free world (the pentaxians) one by one. They kidnapp them silently during the night and they re-write their brains. Once they are re-written, the pentaxians start to act bizzarly. What has been reported is that you can see some green glow in their eyes and they shoot all their pictures with wide opened lenses for no apparent reason. Yet, the most frigthening is that sentence they keep repeating endlessly : "Now fair price is evil, we need more price increase; fair price is evil , we need more price increase because overpriced goods is what is good".
If you are a pentaxian like me, you'd better watch your back because, beleive me, the invasion has begun... They are among us, it's for real. We are still a few resistants in the Pentaxworld but for how long ?

Last edited by Jazzyboy; 08-08-2009 at 07:40 PM.
08-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #133
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What does full frame have to do with it? Last time I checked, Pentax didn't make a full frame camera, but those who have checked it say that it is a full frame lens.
I'm was just putting it in perspective that we don't even have a Full Frame sensor DSLR system, yet we have high priced lenses made for the APS sized cameras. The fact that it works on a full frame camera helps, if Pentax ever goes that route, but lots of the other DA lenses will not.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jazzyboy Quote
... They kidnapp them silently during the night and they re-write their brains. Once they are re-written, the pentaxians start to act bizzarly. What has been reported is that you can see some green glow in their eyes and they shoot all their pictures with wide opened lenses for no apparent reason. ...
LMAO
08-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
How is saving $400 to put towards other gear not a good thing?
One can regard it as "not a good thing" if one believes the 55/1.4 is the gear the $400 should be spent on. Just a complicated way of saying that for some the 55/1.4 is the right tool and worth the price.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What I really don't get is the perpetual bitching and whining that goes on in relation to the fact that in order to make available a fast 50ish mm lens that is actually sharp wide open, Pentax has to charge real money for it.
I guess most Pentax users perceive Pentax as a budget brand and feel sort of betrayed when they ask for real coin.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If they had figured this out a decade ago, I suspect they would still be their own masters rather than Hoya's bitch.
I don't think so. I think they lost it when they didn't keep up with the innovations others put forward. They were very late to the digital game, for example. I'm assuming that in order to stay at the head of the profit game these days you need to be successful in mass production. There might be a few small manufacturers which can charge premium prices and survive although they only have a few customers but I don't think that's something that would work for Pentax and we wouldn't be discussing any of this on a forum like this if they had gone that way.

How I should describe a man who wants only read what he wants read and hear what he wants only hear? Hitler!!!
What a joke. Only its not funny. Not at all.
And what a classy response by Wheatfield.
08-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #135
Pentaxian

Plagiarist.
Hey, I'm in good company (Woody Allen)!