Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-7 at Fry's Electronics

I don't know if this qualifies as news, but Fry's Electronics (at least the one in Fountain Valley, Orange County, California) has K-7 on display. They did not have them last week and this is the only place in LA/OC that I could find to actually hold a K-7. Unfortunately, they had the plastic DA 18-55 on it and no other lenses available.

07-31-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any chance you could mount your own lens on it to test?
07-31-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice. I was at Fry's in North Houston today and all they had were the usual suspects. No Pentax to be seen, but I had a nice conversation with a salesman about buyng a new DSLR system( Whom the friend I was with knew) in printers about photography and discussed the virtues of Pentax and he was very interested.
07-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #4

The Fry's Electronics in Plano, TX had the K2000 last time I was there, but that was a few months ago. Haven't checked to see if they're carrying the K-7.

07-31-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Any chance you could mount your own lens on it to test?
With Fry's, like most category killer stores, you could purchase, bring it home and if it doesnt perform, you can take it back to get a replacement or refund...putting your lenses on at the store wont tell you much since you'd be chimping through the viewfinder.

Jason
08-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I've seen the K-m at Fry's. It's nice to see more Pentax dslrs at Fry's. I know some cannot stand to shop there, but I love that place. I wish Best Buy would carry Pentax. But whatever, I don't shop there much anyways. Their selection sucks.
08-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Nice. I was at Fry's in North Houston today and all they had were the usual suspects. No Pentax to be seen, but I had a nice conversation with a salesman about buyng a new DSLR system( Whom the friend I was with knew) in printers about photography and discussed the virtues of Pentax and he was very interested.
Hey Wayne, how's it going? I'm hoping a K-7 will show up at Houston-area Fry's, as well. There's a store in (I guess) League City not far from our marina in Kemah - I'm hoping one'll show up there.

From what I've seen here on the forum and elsewhere, the impetus to "upgrade" from a K20D to a K-7 is more about "soft" stuff than about absolute performance, and it's difficult to judge that soft stuff, without holding one.

Here's hoping we don't have any damned storms this summer.

Jer

08-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I can confirm that the Fry's in Campbell, CA also has the K-7 on display, as evidenced by the following photo. I'm sure it'll show up at a display at every Fry's soon.

- Jason
Attached Images

08-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey Wayne, how's it going? I'm hoping a K-7 will show up at Houston-area Fry's, as well. There's a store in (I guess) League City not far from our marina in Kemah - I'm hoping one'll show up there.

From what I've seen here on the forum and elsewhere, the impetus to "upgrade" from a K20D to a K-7 is more about "soft" stuff than about absolute performance, and it's difficult to judge that soft stuff, without holding one.

Here's hoping we don't have any damned storms this summer.

Jer
Hey Jer. It's going well. The Fry's down in League City is much nicer than the one in North Houston, but I'm not going to hold my breath on them getting the K-7. I haven't even seen a Pentax P&S at any of the Fry's here. I would like to play with one. No plans to upgrade from the K200 until it doesn't work.

I agree...NO STORMS.
08-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #10

The Fry's in Duluth GA has one out on display next to the K2000. It had the 18-55 DAL on it for some reason, but it still focused crazy-fast (well, in comparison to what my K20d does in similar light).
08-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #11

Fry's Electronics Downers Grove, IL

I just checked with the Fry's in Downer Grove, IL (just west of Chicago) they do not have the K7 yet but should be getting it soon. Does anyone know of any other retailer in the Chicago area who is stocking the K7?
08-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Something that seems interesting about this. As I have been told here on PF, Amazon is now the US Pentax distributor. If that is indeed the case, Fry's is a direct competitor of Amazon online. What will the supply of bodies to Fry's actually be? Plus Fry's love to run loss leader specials. I have seen them discount devices to the turn of $100 under the normal price...but they limit the inventory to be had at such a price. The idea is to get you to buy other crap...

Given Hoya's MAP policies, we might never see K7's online...K20D's simply because they want to sell the rest of them soonest might show up priced along the lines of Walmart's recent deals.

Overall, it is an interesting relationship to watch unfold.

I watch Fry's really scare the crap out of a new eBook Reader device company by selling one of their readers for $100 under their actual cost from the company. Which of course was much lower than the device could be had on the companies web site...this company in the short sighted wisdom, basically choked off the supply to Fry's by limiting the number of pieces Fry's could buy to around 50-100 units nation wide...when Fry's was already told to us by the maker's marketing wonk that Fry's wanted to buy in minimum quantities of 1500-2000 every x-weeks to start. I would just hate to see the restriction of real competition if HoyaTax insists on such policies as MAP.
08-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For Houston area Folks

En route to the marina in Kemah, we stopped at Fry's in - I assume - League City (right off 45 and just south of NASA Route 1). No K-7, but they are displaying a K2000. I was too anxious to get to the boat (and the cold beer in the frig) to have time to speak with an employee; I'll check later as we go by this place fairly often.

Jer
08-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Something that seems interesting about this. As I have been told here on PF, Amazon is now the US Pentax distributor. If that is indeed the case, Fry's is a direct competitor of Amazon online. What will the supply of bodies to Fry's actually be? Plus Fry's love to run loss leader specials. I have seen them discount devices to the turn of $100 under the normal price...but they limit the inventory to be had at such a price. The idea is to get you to buy other crap...

. . .
This is at least 2 threads where you have made that comment. I don't know who told that to you but there is nothing to back it up. Along with BH, Adorama, Amazon may very well be one of the 3 biggest Pentax dealers in the U.S. However, being a distributor makes no sense at all and actually seems like a conflict of interest on several levels. Amazon not only directly sells inventory, they also have member dealers including Adorama, 17th Street Photo and 47th Street Photo.
08-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
wll
Veteran Member

Fry's in Burbank, CA. has K-7 and

K2000.

wll