Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2007, 04:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Japan's Pentax's FY net profit more than quadruples on camera sales

Japan's Pentax's FY net profit more than quadruples on camera sales - Forbes.com

Surely if Hoya will have to pay much more money it hey still want to buy Pentax. And it shows that DSLR section should not be sold because it became highly profitable

TOKYO (XFN-ASIA) - Pentax Corp's net profit more than quadrupled in the fiscal year ended March, buoyed by sales of its high-end digital cameras, the company said.

The maker of digital cameras and medical equipment projects a 6 pct rise in net profit in the fiscal year ending next March, saying it expects brisk sales of its single lens reflex (SLR) digital cameras.

Pentax posted net profit of 3.57 bln yen for the last fiscal year, up from 805 mln yen the year before. Its operating profit surged 89.4 pct to 5.65 bln yen as revenue expanded 10.6 pct to 157.3 bln yen, a record.

Pentax senior executive officer in charge of finance and general accounting Shinichiro Mitsuhashi told a press conference: 'Sales of our SLR digital cameras expanded 2.5-fold to reach 300,000 units in the past fiscal year, as our new models, such as the K100D, were positively accepted by consumers at home and abroad.'

He added: 'In line with enlarged sales of high-end digital cameras and an increase in sales of interchangeable lenses and accessories, we saw a major turnaround in the performance of the imaging system division.'

The company's imaging system division logged operating profit of 3.1 bln yen in the last fiscal year, having made an operating loss of 1.2 bln yen the year before.

But Pentax said there had been a decline in the operating profits of its life care business, covering medical products such as endoscopes, and of its optical component operations, covering miniature lenses.

For this fiscal year, the company forecasts a 6.4 pct rise in net income to 3.8 bln yen, a 23.8 pct increase in operating profit to 7.0 bln yen and a 8.0 pct surge in sales to 170.0 bln yen.

Pentax projects operating income of 4.0 bln yen in its imaging system division, assuming that sales of SLR digital cameras reach 500,000 cameras.

In December, Pentax and Hoya Corp agreed to merge their operations through a share swap to take effect in October, but last month Pentax canceled the merger talks while leaving open the possibility of consolidating their operations.

Mitsuhashi said Pentax's talks with Hoya about consolidating their operations would continue.

'But we would like Hoya to study making the agreement a more open one, so that we can consider other options,' Mitsuhashi said.

05-11-2007, 05:11 AM   #2

good news! Shows what only two excellent products can do...
05-11-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
Inactive Account

The very good news. Congratulations Pentax !!!

Pedro Ernesto Guerra Azevedo
pedro.azevedo@iron.com.br
Santos - São Paulo - Brasil
05-11-2007, 05:15 AM   #4

If they ramp up production and bring out one or two additional cameras which are on par or better than the K100D and K10D, I'm certain they'll reach their goal of 500,000 cameras. Pentax is starting to earn a name again, and has actually gained the rank of third most sold SLR brand in Norway, after C* and N*.

05-11-2007, 05:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
The problem with Pentax is short supply of lenses. They need to produce much more lenses and faster ....
05-11-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the post.

This is good news and quite frankly not wholly unexpected considereing the quality and solid performance of the K100 and K10. Now, if they can get the doggone lenses to market they may actually surive.

What is most interesting about the article is that the highly touted endoscopy division seems to be the drag on the company...which is agian, not wholly unexepected due to competition from Oly.

Personally, I think Pentax is better off on its own. Two seats on a Board of 5 means absolutely nothing. Hoya only has to get their three votes to do whatever it wants. Perhaps some synergies might be benefial to both companies....but an absorption of Pentax by Hoya probably isn't the best option for those of us who utilize Pentax cameras.

June should be an interesting month

Stephen
05-11-2007, 07:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Good news indeed; shows the old K-franchise still has some kick to it. However, these numbers are only really meaninful in the context of the financial performance, market growth and profit growth of the other big players during the same period. Anybody seen analogous data for Canon or Nikon or Sony?

Anyway, it still is good news - the numbers certainly are going the right direction. As I've noted elsewhere, I'm optimistic about the survival of the K-mount system (I just ordered a grip for my K10D), but the historical data on the company still has me convinced that to move beyond survival the system needs to be in the hands of some new, skilled leadership - whether that is in a revitalized Pentax, a merged Pentax or through a straight sale of the business.

Now, I need to heed what I (and others) have said on other threads: forget this stuff and start thinking about making pictures.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-11-2007 at 07:14 AM. Reason: I can't spell
05-11-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I just wish that when I purchase Pentax equipment, I could obtain it directly from Pentax Japan. That way, my 'middle man' dollars will go to support the company and its bottom line.

Thanks for the post. Time to go out and take some pictures with some GREAT equipment.