Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Just Announced: Pentax Plans for Digital Camera

Here is the official report from bloomberg detailing Pentax's appraoch to the year 2010.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Plans to Double Operating Profit Over 3 Years (Update2)

By Hiroshi Suzuki

May 11 (Bloomberg) -- Pentax Corp., Japan's oldest maker of single-lens reflex cameras, plans to double earnings over three years by focusing on businesses such as cameras and endoscopes, as part of efforts to appease its largest shareholder.

The company, which last month scrapped an agreement to be acquired by Hoya Corp., plans to raise operating profit to 11.2 billion yen ($94 million) for the year ending March 2010, Tokyo- based Pentax said today. Sales may climb 21 percent to 191 billion yen over the three-year period, it said.

The target comes after Sparx Group Co., the largest stockholder, criticized Pentax for rejecting Hoya's December buyout offer. Pentax should provide alternative options to raise the company's value, said the Tokyo-based asset manager, which owned a 24 percent stake in Pentax as of March.

``I don't think Pentax shareholders will be happy about the plan,'' said Tetsuya Wadaki, an analyst at Nomura Securities Co., who doesn't have an investment rating on Pentax. ``Former President Urano was targeting an operating profit margin of 10 percent, while today's plan targets 5.8 percent, suggesting management has given up.''

Pentax forecast operating profit, or sales minus the cost of goods sold and administrative expenses, will rise 24 percent to 7 billion yen this fiscal year, after climbing 89 percent to 5.65 billion yen in the just-ended 12 months. Sales may rise 8 percent to 170 billion yen after increasing 11 percent last year, it said.

Shares of Pentax fell 1 percent to 761 yen at the close on the Tokyo Stock Exchange today, before the three-year target was released. The stock has advanced 10 percent since Dec. 21, when Hoya announced the acquisition plan, beating a 3 percent gain in the benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average.

`On Our Own'

The company said it plans to focus on profitable businesses, including medical equipment, DVD lenses and digital cameras. Pentax also said it plans to close a factory in October, relocate about 200 workers, and has started shutting down about 20 business projects.

``This plan is to show investors how much we can do on our own,'' Pentax President Takashi Watanuki told reporters in Tokyo, without providing details. Pentax will meet Sparx officials ``sometime next week'' to explain the business plan, he said.

Pentax will use stricter standards for selecting businesses and operations to close, the company said in a statement.

Watanuki declined to identify any businesses to quit. He denied a report in the Nikkei newspaper this week that Pentax plans to sell its headquarters building and the surrounding land.

Managing Director Shinichiro Mitsuhashi estimates the company will produce 4 million digital cameras in the year ending March 2010, rising from 3 million this fiscal year.

05-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
The company said it plans to focus on profitable businesses, including medical equipment, DVD lenses and digital cameras. Pentax also said it plans to close a factory in October, relocate about 200 workers, and has started shutting down about 20 business projects.

``This plan is to show investors how much we can do on our own,'' Pentax President Takashi Watanuki told reporters in Tokyo, without providing details. Pentax will meet Sparx officials ``sometime next week'' to explain the business plan, he said.

Pentax will use stricter standards for selecting businesses and operations to close, the company said in a statement.

Watanuki declined to identify any businesses to quit. He denied a report in the Nikkei newspaper this week that Pentax plans to sell its headquarters building and the surrounding land.

Managing Director Shinichiro Mitsuhashi estimates the company will produce 4 million digital cameras in the year ending March 2010, rising from 3 million this fiscal year. .
4M digital cameras eh? That does not sound like a company pulling out of P&S digicams, but does sound like one keen to build and sell more DSLRs- bring it on!.
05-11-2007, 08:12 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I am lost now. They denied selling HQ ? Quiting from 20 projects ?

So the reports earlier this week had been complete rubbish ? We will see what they have to say to investment company next week.
05-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Believe what you read?

QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
I am lost now. They denied selling HQ ? Quiting from 20 projects ?

So the reports earlier this week had been complete rubbish ? We will see what they have to say to investment company next week.
I seldom believe anything I read in the papers - having been employed by a number of companies during controversial times I know its mostly speculative nonsense spread around by people with their own agenda.

05-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well in another bloomberg news note in about 2 hours Pentax is supposedly going to announce their strategy on making the company more profitable. I'll be at work so if anyone wants to check for the news feed go to Bloomberg.com and type in Pentax in the search section to get all the latest if it does actually happen today. I'm very optimistic about this statement as it's from Pentax and I'm not sure if they mean a digital camera sales of 4mil digital cameras sold just in the year 2010 from now or 1 mil more from 3mil in 3 years or what. It's hard to totally understand but if it's 4 million in 3 years thats a heck of a lot of cameras as they only sold I believe 300,000 dslr in the past fiscal year from a report at Forbes.

If it's 1 million dslr's between now and 2010 thats 333,333.3 dslr's a year for the next 3 years which would keep their business steady. With every camera goes 3 lenses on average in my speculation so thats aprox 1,000,000 lenses not to mention other very profitable things like flashes, grips, li-on batteries and other such acesories. I think that is quite a benchmark for Pentax and could mean lots of new toys for you and me with all the extra moeny they can pour into R&D!
05-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think it means

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Well in another bloomberg news note in about 2 hours Pentax is supposedly going to announce their strategy on making the company more profitable. I'll be at work so if anyone wants to check for the news feed go to Bloomberg.com and type in Pentax in the search section to get all the latest if it does actually happen today. I'm very optimistic about this statement as it's from Pentax and I'm not sure if they mean a digital camera sales of 4mil digital cameras sold just in the year 2010 from now or 1 mil more from 3mil in 3 years or what. It's hard to totally understand but if it's 4 million in 3 years thats a heck of a lot of cameras as they only sold I believe 300,000 dslr in the past fiscal year from a report at Forbes.

If it's 1 million dslr's between now and 2010 thats 333,333.3 dslr's a year for the next 3 years which would keep their business steady. With every camera goes 3 lenses on average in my speculation so thats aprox 1,000,000 lenses not to mention other very profitable things like flashes, grips, li-on batteries and other such acesories. I think that is quite a benchmark for Pentax and could mean lots of new toys for you and me with all the extra moeny they can pour into R&D!
I think they mean their total output will grow by 33% over three years, from 3M units annually (made up of 10% SLRs and 90% P&S) to 4M units annually, of which I would imaging a much larger percentage will be SLRs, perhaps 1M units a year if they pull off their 4 model range.
05-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In a report from Forbes here is the official stance from Pentax regarding DSLR sales figures:

QuoteQuote:
The company aims to increase the operating profit of its imaging system division, which covers digital cameras, to 5.2 bln yen in the year to March 2010 from 3.1 bln yen in the last fiscal year. To do so, it will build up its sales network in China, explore opportunities to enter the Russian and East European markets and boost annual sales of its single lens reflex (SLR) digital cameras to 1.0 mln cameras per year. In the last fiscal year, it sold 300,000 SLR digital cameras.