Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax in Colorado Springs

New to town, so I went to a local camera store that to check them out and see if they carry Pentax, and they do!!! I talked to the owner of Camaraworks (Academy and Union) and he told me that K7s were on order. They had in stock K20s and K2000s. Just waiting for the K7 to touch it!!

08-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
New to town, so I went to a local camera store that to check them out and see if they carry Pentax, and they do!!! I talked to the owner of Camaraworks (Academy and Union) and he told me that K7s were on order. They had in stock K20s and K2000s. Just waiting for the K7 to touch it!!
Nice! I haven't found a good outlet for new Pentax gear in Denver that has reasonable prices. The Ultimate Electronics at 84th and I-25 has some items, but they are offered at MSRP. How are the prices down there? It might be worth the drive.
08-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I can barely find any Pentax stock in Denver and no one here has the K-7 or is getting it in.

Do they have a good stock of DA* glass ? And at decent prices?
08-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Did they give you a firm date for K-7 ?

What's the sale price on their K20D?

You should take a SD memory card in to the store and some of your pentax lenses and see how K-7 performs with a real hands~on test drive.

I noticed this morning at Pentax Japan, they added K20D to their out of production & discontiued dslr page, THE:

Pentax Dslr Hall of Fame

??????????????????????????PENTAX

I figured K20D was out of production even though K-7 wasn't suppose to replace it. I wonder how low k20D will need to drop to clear out existing K20D inventories? Especially as the 3 year warranty bonus for USA buyers expired a couple days ago.

Why make a dslr that retails for $629 thru B&H , WalMart, Adorama, ect when you could instead make a dslr that sells for $1,299 off your own website:

No wholesale, No hassles, No extending credit...

Walmart at the moment K20D $599, but no stock:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=1005877...78042561374520

However Walmart K20D are instock w/kit lens:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9606113

Pentax K20D Black 14.6 MP Digital SLR Camera Kit includes 18-55mm Lens, LiveView, Weather Resistant, *Bonus Extended 3 Year Warranty $699.88

List Price: $1,079.99
You Save: $380.11 (35%)

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-02-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added walmart links
08-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter

There should be a pretty good run on the remaining K20s. As I recall, the lowest price that a new K10 got to was around 600 dollars, before it started rising due to lack of K10s. I looked on Amazon's web site and you can still get *ist DS's there for a cool 900 dollars. So, I imagine in the year 2012, the K20 will actually be worth about 1250.
08-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
I was in a hurry and didn't ask about prices. The only glass I recall seeing was the new 55mm (I think) DA* 16-50 and DA* 200. Didn't have a huge selection as they are a big Nikon place, but at least they had some and they displayed in the case just like the others.

Cameraworks
5030 N Academy Blvd
Colorado Springs, CO 80918

(719) 594-6966

No website
08-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There should be a pretty good run on the remaining K20s. As I recall, the lowest price that a new K10 got to was around 600 dollars, before it started rising due to lack of K10s. I looked on Amazon's web site and you can still get *ist DS's there for a cool 900 dollars. So, I imagine in the year 2012, the K20 will actually be worth about 1250.
I bought my k10 new earlier this year for $499.
08-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Mike's Camera in Boulder has some Pentax stock, but not much - they didn't have the K-7 in when I was there last.

The good news is, their prices for bodies and lenses are usually close to Amazon's. The Sony A700, for instance, is at $999 on Amazon and they were selling it at Mike's for the exact same price.

The folks there are pretty solid and they've said they'll stock more Pentax if it sells well - but it doesn't look like people are buying. There are at least two Pentax lenses I've looked at that they've had sitting around for over a year.

The Wolf Camera in downtown Denver used to have a pretty good selection, and I checked out the 31mm Limited there and bought my FA 50/1.4, but with their recent troubles who knows what will be happening in the future.

08-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

I noticed this morning at Pentax Japan, they added K20D to their out of production & discontiued dslr page, THE:

Pentax Dslr Hall of Fame

??????????????????????????PENTAX

I figured K20D was out of production even though K-7 wasn't suppose to replace it. I wonder how low k20D will need to drop to clear out existing K20D inventories? Especially as the 3 year warranty bonus for USA buyers expired a couple days ago.
O_O
Looks like some replacements are in order ehh?
That makes the K30D (or w/e it's called) a advanced level dSLR meant to compete with the D90, K300D (or w/e it's called) compete with the mid level T1i, Olympus E-620, and D5000, and the K-m still in the line up to compete with the A230, D3000.

But words aren't worth anything. Let's see some new models Pentax!
08-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I burnt some gas & No K-7 in the house

I did a drive by and there's no K-7 in the house and they've "never had one" nor a 55mm 1.4 SDM , ditto: "never had one", nor a 16-50 SDM, ditto: "never had one", but you are right they have one lovely 200mm SDM at full list plus tax.

Nice shop, nice people. Lots of new canon gears, & lots of new nikon gears. Infact, Several shinny new 5D MarkII, & several new D700. Ohh, & Very Nice lifesize Ashton K, Mr Demi Moore Nikon posters. How Cool is That?

Anyways still a nice shopping trip anyhows as I scored a very nice used lens... but not a Pentax or pentax mount. Owning several brands has its benefits. Had I only wanted to see their touted pentax goodies in this here thread it would have been a busted waste of time shopping tip. But I own more than one brand so I'm easy to please.

I wonder if anyone will stock Pentax K-7 in Colorado, Home State of Pentax USA. They sure do list alot of places to buy K-7 ect on their official website like: Home Depot Lumber stores, Walmart... Yet nobody ACTUALLY stocks it or any Pentax gears new and yet at (((several))) stores I can put my hands on $2,700 to $3,000 dslrs. Yeah I know, "no one buys $2700+ dslrs and full frame is fool frame". Yet full frame dslrs "sells & sells & sells" for 2x the money K-7 is priced at & all the while K-7 is available in person ...nowheres.

Anyways, thanks for the hot tip on my non pentax mount lens purchase as it's a GOODIE at a Very Nice Price.

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
I was in a hurry and didn't ask about prices. The only glass I recall seeing was the new 55mm (I think) DA* 16-50 and DA* 200. Didn't have a huge selection as they are a big Nikon place, but at least they had some and they displayed in the case just like the others.

Cameraworks
5030 N Academy Blvd
Colorado Springs, CO 80918

(719) 594-6966

No website

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-12-2009 at 06:24 PM.
08-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I posted this on Pentax's "Burning Questions" forum on Facebook...

Post #21

You wroteon August 5, 2009 at 10:54pm
Here's one that doesn't seem to come up often. What happens to refurbished Pentax gear? I imagine that there are probably a handful of retail returns that Pentax gets to fix on a fairly regular basis and I would certainly be interested in buying returned items. I was thinking out loud the other day that seeing how Pentax is based right here in Golden, the Castle Rock Outlets would be an AMAZING place to have the world's one and only Pentax store! Thanks for producing quality products that don't break the bank.

Post #22

PENTAX wroteon August 7, 2009 at 11:29am
Hi Dan,
Refurbished product is made available to our existing retail partners. We have established relationships with these accounts for the sales of refurbished equipment.

I was hoping for a different answer than, essentially, "just Best Buy."
08-19-2009, 05:36 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
Mike's Camera in Boulder has some Pentax stock, but not much - they didn't have the K-7 in when I was there last.

The good news is, their prices for bodies and lenses are usually close to Amazon's. The Sony A700, for instance, is at $999 on Amazon and they were selling it at Mike's for the exact same price.

The folks there are pretty solid and they've said they'll stock more Pentax if it sells well - but it doesn't look like people are buying. There are at least two Pentax lenses I've looked at that they've had sitting around for over a year.

The Wolf Camera in downtown Denver used to have a pretty good selection, and I checked out the 31mm Limited there and bought my FA 50/1.4, but with their recent troubles who knows what will be happening in the future.
As a photo retailer I make it a point to visit camera stores where ever I travel. I was recently in Mike's and even more recently spoke with the proprietors in Palm Springs at a convention. The topic of Pentax vs. Olympus came up and they looked at me very oddly when I mentioned that Pentax was a technologically more relevant company than Olympus. When I mentioned that Pentax also held a greater marke share than Olympus they were certain that I had lost my mind. They said that no one ever comes to their store asking for Pentax anymore, and that is what is driving their decision to carry less and less Pentax.

After many conversations with with the principals from Mike's over the years, I have come to respect them a great deal. They operate a successful business, have been generous with their knowledge and have tried to be a leader in the industry. If they say they don't get the demand for Pentax then they are to be taken at their word. If what I am hearing here is that there is demand for Pentax in the area then it needs to cross the doors of Mike's. If you are in the Denver/Boulder area and would like Pentax products then go visit Mike's. Maybe you won't find what you want, but here is what you will get. You will get a very well presented camera store, with knowledgable staff, a ton of merchandise and you will be treated like a human being in there. Perhaps if there really is demand, they will reconsider the position of Pentax.

I realize that it is partly Pentax's responsibility to drive the market to the retailer, but it's clear that that is not happening at a significant level. We are the market, however and we have the information available to us to know where product should be available. Go visit Mike's, go visit your local shop and ask for Pentax. Ask them why they don't carry Pentax, if they don't, and ask them what it would take to get them to carry Pentax again.
08-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The closest pentax carying shop to me is a 2hr drive to Va. or a 3.5hr drive to NJ or NYC. I would be happy if someone just had the general stuff that breaks/lost/wheres out like flash cords etc and was within 30min
08-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote

That's good to know. I'm about 10 minutes from Mikes. I'll have to visit and see what's there. Maybe I have the wrong impression of them. It's tough to compete with online businesses and have brick & mortar overhead to cover also.
I haven't been there for a long time as I applied there once for employment 7-8 years ago...pay was $6.50/hr (non-sales) in Boulder, CO where cost of living is thru the roof (you can't live in CO, much less Boulder with that pay) and at that time their prices didn't seem that great either...I looked at the people working there and felt sorry for them and I found it repulsive to support a business that appeared to regard their employees so lowly. You could flip burgers for $8/hr at the time. (I know, the sales guys get commission...so maybe they assume you will either move over to sales or be just another short term sucker in their low-pay high-turnover rate business model.)
08-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The problem that I've had with Mike's is that they only sell Pentax gear at MSRP. I've been in there three times (Park Meadows store) and asked about Pentax stuff, and only once did I not get an immediate cold shoulder. The reason they're not selling any is because they're not even trying to sell it. They act as if it's a huge imposition for them to walk four feet away from the Nik0n gear. I got better service from Wolf, which is really saying something.

The Camera Trader is the only place around I've found that actually has Pentax stuff to look at and handle. I traded a 50/2 for a 50/1.4 and the salesman couldn't have been nicer. He had no problem letting me mount the lens and chimp for a while before making the purchase. They're not selling new stuff, so that doesn't help Pentax Corp. at all. I would love to be able to walk in to a store, try out a lens, and not have to pay MSRP for it.