Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
There could be some bargain K20D prices coming up then!
Any K20D price at Walmart is a bargain compared to the very slow price drop over here in Australia.I was looking at the Walmart price online, for a K20D with a 18-55mm ALII.Price $699.88.Here in Australia,K20D with a Sigma 18-50mm(not Pentax),around $1400-$1500 in a retail shop.What a rip!

08-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
Any K20D price at Walmart is a bargain compared to the very slow price drop over here in Australia.I was looking at the Walmart price online, for a K20D with a 18-55mm ALII.Price $699.88.Here in Australia,K20D with a Sigma 18-50mm(not Pentax),around $1400-$1500 in a retail shop.What a rip!
Are the Australian prices you are quoting in USD or AUD? Still WOW....I mean even if not converted ~$1200 as of today's exchange rates. If they are converted then WOW-WOW!!
08-12-2009, 02:29 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Are the Australian prices you are quoting in USD or AUD? Still WOW....I mean even if not converted ~$1200 as of today's exchange rates. If they are converted then WOW-WOW!!
It is Australian dollars.It really takes along time for prices to come down over here for some reason.
08-31-2009, 07:53 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Went into Yodobashi Camera in Kichijoji, Tokyo today.
Yodobashi Camera is a huge electronics chain store in Japan.

The K20D was nowhere to be seen.
Gone from the shelves.
Seemingly overnight.

08-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #95
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Went into Yodobashi Camera in Kichijoji, Tokyo today.
Yodobashi Camera is a huge electronics chain store in Japan.

The K20D was nowhere to be seen.
Gone from the shelves.
Seemingly overnight.

Some kind of an announcement soon?
08-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #96

Relax..Pentax is going nowhere...

I dont understand this boo-haa-haa about Pentax going out of biz and Pentaxians left with obsolete equipments and all...!!!!???? Relax guys, you are crying about a sub 1000 bucks investment in a camera and couple of hundreds ( maybe a few thousand) worth of lenses..!!! Relax..take a deep breath, Samsung will take over Pentax if and when it decides to shut down its business under the Hoya umbrella. Samsung is a Multi-billion dollar company which can very well create a unique market for DSLR's. Rest assured- all your photography gear would still be worth a lot. Enjoy your camera and enjoy taking pics. People have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on cars which have either gone or are on their way to being obsolete (Saturn and Pontiac) for instance...Think about them suckers...the pentax lenses can outlive most of those cars and the Pentax DSLR bodies can give you years and years of enjoyment....

Chill....and click-on.....!!!!
08-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #97
Veteran Member

^ I wasn't referring to it as bad news, rather that I'm hoping that another body will be arriving this year.
They had stocked up on a few more K-7's and K-M's for display, so the space taken up by Pentax is the same, with a few more ads for those two models.

09-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
It is Australian dollars.It really takes along time for prices to come down over here for some reason.
I baffled why australians buy anything electrical from retail stores, i can wa;lk into a store here and get a Sony 42 inch tv (full HD) for $1,100 CDn which isabout $1,300 australian. What's it go for at bing lee ... $2500 or something equally offensive?

Check out laptops as well, just brutal back home ... camera gear is the same of course. I bought my 20D for $650US.
09-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #99
Veteran Member

I do have to wonder how much these overseas prices have to do with the percentage of income Americans spend on housing and health care and transportation, i.e: 'what the market will bear.'
09-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #100
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I baffled why australians buy anything electrical from retail stores, i can wa;lk into a store here and get a Sony 42 inch tv (full HD) for $1,100 CDn which isabout $1,300 australian. What's it go for at bing lee ... $2500 or something equally offensive?

Check out laptops as well, just brutal back home ... camera gear is the same of course. I bought my 20D for $650US.
I easily resolve that issue by taking my money elsewhere.
The elsewhere is usually B&H.
I have no remorse not supporting local retailers, and am not ashamed to tell them this if asked why...
09-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #101
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I do have to wonder how much these overseas prices have to do with the percentage of income Americans spend on housing and health care and transportation, i.e: 'what the market will bear.'
Can you elaborate on that RML?
Do you mean prices get set to whatever is perceived the consumer can afford?
09-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I agree on 'what the market will bear' as aussies are used to being ripped off. However, north americans spend less on housing and transport than we do, i don't think australians realise how expensive australia is.

What baffles me is that we are told it's a case of the distance to ship the item and customising the item for our power plugs etc.
09-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #103
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
What baffles me is that we are told it's a case of the distance to ship the item and customising the item for our power plugs etc.
I refuse to be ripped off myself - just pay a little extra for shipping to buy direct from the US...

Distance to ship items does not explain the >100% markup. Shipping costs me no more than $65 for a 2kg parcel. A lens that costs $800 in the US is hard to justify costing an Aussie A$1800 to buy locally.
Lenses don't need power plugs, so that's out the window too.

It's just ludicrous, but common sense ain't common with CRK...
09-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I refuse to be ripped off myself - just pay a little extra for shipping to buy direct from the US...

Distance to ship items does not explain the >100% markup. Shipping costs me no more than $65 for a 2kg parcel. A lens that costs $800 in the US is hard to justify costing an Aussie A$1800 to buy locally.
Lenses don't need power plugs, so that's out the window too.

It's just ludicrous, but common sense ain't common with CRK...
Glad to see someone is awake tot he rip off. The one that flys under the radar are couches, honestly i'd consider importinga couch myself as a full leather lounge and sofa here is like $2,500 .... it's nudging what .... 8K at home?
09-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Distribution and market size are a bit of the reason things are ridiculously expensive.

The whole distribution thing sucks big weenies as the distributors pay bleeding edge stock prices and then due to the cost involved, won't drop the prices to prevent their margin loss (which can be quite tight).

Aussies should know all about this based on the stupid prices paid for any other car brand except Ford/Holden/Mitsi.