Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #106
Veteran Member

What have we here? Are you a transplanted aussie or just visited there?

edit: I just clicked on your flickr account, i absolutely loathe flickr as it's just a mess to nsvigate but i'm glad i did. What a wonderful gallery, very well done indeed.

Last edited by Alfisti; 09-02-2009 at 07:37 PM.
09-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do they mark up prices here in Australia because of the slower turnaround time to sell Pentax gear,compared to the USA.Also could it be that there is only one main distributor here,and also they can put there wholesale up to whatever they choose.By doing that,the retailer has no choice in there price?The Australian Dollar is not far off the US dollar,so technically the price shouldn't be as far apart as we are seeing them at the moment.
09-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #108
James S

Realistically we should see a price correction soonish on lenses, but bodies in most cases are internationally competitive it seems that the K20D is an anomaly, in that it won't drop below $1000 in stores.

The fact that CR Kennedy will price match B&H/ Adorama prices using local stock seems to allude to the fact that wholesale prices are very high, OR retailers are making big margins on bodies and lenses.

I'm looking at a Pentax 50-135 or a Sigma 50-150, and in Australia the Pentax is $1500 AUD and the Sigma around $1250 AUD where as they are both between $950-$1050 AUD from the States.

Why a $500 difference on the DA*?? The Sigma difference isn't so bad.
09-03-2009, 03:01 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by James S Quote
Realistically we should see a price correction soonish on lenses, but bodies in most cases are internationally competitive it seems that the K20D is an anomaly, in that it won't drop below $1000 in stores.

The fact that CR Kennedy will price match B&H/ Adorama prices using local stock seems to allude to the fact that wholesale prices are very high, OR retailers are making big margins on bodies and lenses.

I'm looking at a Pentax 50-135 or a Sigma 50-150, and in Australia the Pentax is $1500 AUD and the Sigma around $1250 AUD where as they are both between $950-$1050 AUD from the States.

Why a $500 difference on the DA*?? The Sigma difference isn't so bad.
Exactly,why is there a huge difference like that.Your probably right about the K20D not dropping below $1000,because if it did,it would have happened by now you would think.Have you tested both lenses yet?

09-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #110

If you were to order gear from the US to Australia, aren't you concerned about the warranty? I have been looking at getting a k20d body from the US to Canada, but Pentax USA indicates I have to register it in the US.
09-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by agro Quote
If you were to order gear from the US to Australia, aren't you concerned about the warranty? I have been looking at getting a k20d body from the US to Canada, but Pentax USA indicates I have to register it in the US.
The warranty would be an issue,and also possibly paying custom fees on top on arrival.Then also having the risknof the camera being lost in transit.So you got to weigh up all these factors aswell,and then tell yourself whether it worth the hassle or pay the extra money and buy the camera right here.
09-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #112

That's what I have been thinking about. I have a duaghter that lives in Texas, so I thought about getting her to buy the camera and then ship it to me. If something goes wrong I could ship it back to her, but I've had good luck with Pentax being reliable. I can save about $300CDN by getting it out of the States. Thanks for the thoughts.

09-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #113
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Apparently discontinued, at least at B&H. Screenshot from 9/4/09 at 4:15 p.m. Eastern time:
09-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #114
James S

QuoteOriginally posted by barnster:
Exactly,why is there a huge difference like that.Your probably right about the K20D not dropping below $1000,because if it did,it would have happened by now you would think.Have you tested both lenses yet?
I haven't tested the Sigma, but from what I've seen/read it performs well, but if I buy from B&H the $50 extra for the DA* to me is worth it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster:
The warranty would be an issue,and also possibly paying custom fees on top on arrival.Then also having the risknof the camera being lost in transit.So you got to weigh up all these factors aswell,and then tell yourself whether it worth the hassle or pay the extra money and buy the camera right here.
Risk I'm willing to take to save $500. If it comes in under $1000 AUD you won't pay customs fee's/GST. UPS or Fedex are very reliable and the fact I can have it in 3-5 days compared to 5-7 days buying from elsewhere is also a big factor. Bodies I will most likely continue to buy in Oz, unless the K20D anomaly continues with the K-7.

QuoteOriginally posted by Agro:

Like I said to Barnster, It's a risk i'm willing to take. B&H have a good return policy so if something develops pretty much straight away or it's damaged in transit, then I can return it. My other option is to contact CR Kennedy and get them to match the price, but I don't see how this is possible(even though they do it), unless they are selling them below their wholesale price?
09-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #115

I just checked online and Adorama still has the K20D available ($619US). I pulled the trigger and ordered one for shipment to my daughter in Austin - still with the $300CDN savings. The way I see it, if there's something wrong with the camera during the warranty period, I'll just send it back to her to get it repaired. Worst case is, the $300 I saved is half the price of another body.
03-03-2010, 05:08 AM   #116
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
And given the recent events from HoyaTax this surprises you? hehehehe...I know they have me completely confused as not a lot makes any sense. Maybe Pentax was really is bad shape organization wise that a lot of wholesale changes will happen before a coherent plan begins to emerge?
This seems quite reasonble to me. They can't be so quick in eliminating one and replacing it with another.
03-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #117
Veteran Member

K20 & K200

I just want to confirm the K20D and K200D are discontinued
See this site who is really good

Pentax K200D with 18-55 mm kit - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca

Pentax K20D with 18-55 mm kit - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
03-06-2010, 03:57 AM   #118
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nezih Quote
This seems quite reasonble to me. They can't be so quick in eliminating one and replacing it with another.
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Dear members;
You are responding to posts made 1 year ago.
03-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #119
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Dear members;
You are responding to posts made 1 year ago.
I heard the *istDS was discontinued along with the LX film body. Hysterical
03-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #120

What do you know? The *istDS twins, K10D and K20D work as well today as they have always. The discontinued manual lenses do a fantastic job, too. :ugh: