08-03-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

K20D discontinued

Google Translate

08-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The English Home page lists K7, Km, K20d, K200 as OK and everything else as discontinued.

David
08-03-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
The English Home page lists K7, Km, K20d, K200 as OK and everything else as discontinued.

David
I wonder if the majority of all remaining K20D, Km, K200 stock ended up with Amazon (they are now the US distributor for Pentax, right? I was told that here on PF, but I dunno it for a fact...)

If that is the case it makes sense that other countries will have pretty much run out of stock at the distributor level. Hence their removal from the active status on the Pentax USA site.

Amazon probably bought everything for a huge discount to add cash flow into HoyaTax...

Last edited by brecklundin; 08-03-2009 at 05:48 AM.
08-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax lists the K-7, K20D, K200 and K-m on the website...no mention of the K20D being discontinued. According to that link posted, the only offers are the K-7 and K-m. Seems silly.

Jason

08-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a quick check at the Japanese page and it looks like it is indeed finished with.
I imagine it will still be on the shelves for a good while yet, though.
08-03-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The product run for the K20D is due to finish at the end of the year. This comes from Pentax itself.
08-03-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Pentax lists the K-7, K20D, K200 and K-m on the website...no mention of the K20D being discontinued. According to that link posted, the only offers are the K-7 and K-m. Seems silly.

Jason
And given the recent events from HoyaTax this surprises you? hehehehe...I know they have me completely confused as not a lot makes any sense. Maybe Pentax was really is bad shape organization wise that a lot of wholesale changes will happen before a coherent plan begins to emerge?

08-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
And given the recent events from HoyaTax this surprises you? hehehehe...I know they have me completely confused as not a lot makes any sense. Maybe Pentax was really is bad shape organization wise that a lot of wholesale changes will happen before a coherent plan begins to emerge?
I think the logic of this move is to remove the K20D as a competitor for the new mid range model that Pentax is supposedly going to release in the fall. Pentax probably can't keep multiple camera lines in production and be profitable like Nikon and Canon can, so this would be the prudent marketing and cost saving decision.

Whether or not they have a coherent plan, we'll see They could go a number of directions from this point.
08-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Exactly! K20D is no longer being produced...

NOW, if it takes pentax 3 more years to clear the K20D they've already made made, then thats another story...

K200D got added to the discontinued list at this japan pentax site like 6 months ago and you can still buy one. How long will it take to clear out existing K20D and K200D?

Why would anyone here think Pentax in Japan doesn't have a handle on their Pentax brand? If anyone knows whats up with Pentax production its Pentax Japan.

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I had a quick check at the Japanese page and it looks like it is indeed finished with.
I imagine it will still be on the shelves for a good while yet, though.
08-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax USA

I wonder if the majority of all remaining K20D, Km, K200 stock ended up with Amazon (they are now the US distributor for Pentax, right? I was told that here on PF, but I dunno it for a fact...)
If true, I suspect that it is news to Ned Bunnell, the president of Pentax USA in Colorado.

Here's his blog: NED BUNNELL

As of last Saturday, he was still listing his occupation as President of Pentax Imaging (USA).
08-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

There could be some bargain K20D prices coming up then!
08-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
If true, I suspect that it is news to Ned Bunnell, the president of Pentax USA in Colorado.

Here's his blog: NED BUNNELL

As of last Saturday, he was still listing his occupation as President of Pentax Imaging (USA).
And?

They can deal with marketing and the business end of things. Product distribution is better left to a company who actually knows what they are doing on a LARGE SCALE. Amazon has an entire infrastructure to do just that. For Pentax distribution is a sunk cost if they can farm it out and actually save money on the deal then it makes complete sense to off load that with a company such as Amazon.

Also, do not forget that Pentax tells customers if they need service or repair or exchange they should return the gear to the SELLER not to Pentax. I forget the exact wording but basically we are told to leave Pentax alone unless as a last resort. Pentax does not want the consumer returning new but defective or damaged gear to them...that fits with a different distribution model.
08-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I assume they would still honor any warranty on a K20 purchase right? If so I may purchase an extra one to have for the m42 lenses so I don't have to mess with changing out the adapter. Amazon has them right now at $660. That's a pretty good deal.

I'm waiting until after Xmas to do the K7. I think the price will come down and I'm pretty satisfied with the K20 since I wouldn't be using the video function.
08-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, do not forget that Pentax tells customers if they need service or repair or exchange they should return the gear to the SELLER not to Pentax. I forget the exact wording but basically we are told to leave Pentax alone unless as a last resort. Pentax does not want the consumer returning new but defective or damaged gear to them...that fits with a different distribution model.
This is pretty much true for every company out there. They recommend that for any problems that fall within the distributor's return policy that you would be best served by going back to the distributor for any problems. What this does for the vendor is that you have less overhead to deal with to process RMA/Returns for credit since you are dealing with just distribution. Once outside of return policy the manufacturer warranty will apply along with all the supporting caveats.
08-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amazon (they are now the US distributor for Pentax, right? I was told that here on PF, but I dunno it for a fact...)
A source for this assumption has never been provided. It is pure conjecture. Please don't repeat it as fact unless someone can actually back this up.

And a hint: just saying, "it is absolutely true!" is not a supporting fact.