Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Amazon and Pentax

I have not heard this rumor before this. I suspect that it may have started with the fact that Pentax products are becoming harder and harder to find in brick and mortar camera stores, which are themselves becoming harder and harder to find.

Sometimes, it seems that the only place to find Pentax cameras for sale is Amazon.

However, I don't think its true due to the simple fact that Amazon doesn't sell the complete line of Pentax products.

But then, stranger things have happend.

08-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Its a fact.

NoStatic Dude , I ignored your needed "Proof" just like you ignored my desire to know how many shots you ran up on the ADORAMA K-7 your returned in "like new shape" that had no defects, you know after your test drove Adorama's K-7 to then Chit~Chat about using Adorama's "generous dslr return policy"

How about this, why don't you provide the proof? I'm curious how many shots you took with the ADORAMA K-7 and you can then call around and see who deals pentax in your neighborhood.

Find a camera shop that actually stocks pentax brand cameras and gear and ask them if Amazon is now their Pentax distributor? Confirm it for yourself ,that is if there is a dealer who actually stocks pentax brand cameras in Southern California thesedays. SoCal right? US dealers are dropping Pentax left and right. I wonder why ???

I'm not sure why this amazon distributes gear to dealers for Pentax USA tidbit bothers you soooo much ???

Anyways, ITS A FACT. Believe me, don't believe me. I don't care. I'll continue to repeat until I am informed otherwise. In the meantime did you read Pentax is now outsourcing repairs to "CRIS" to further cut more Pentax employees off their payroll.

Canon repairs Canon. Nikon repairs Nikon and Pentax is outsourcing repairs to an outside firm.

Oh, Hoya!

Maybe Hoya should close down Pentax USA to further reduce overhead costs and deal with amazon.com direct???

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/pentax-imaging-appoints-cris-as,913238.shtml

You know, this makes perfect sense to me, now that I mentioned it. Maybe Hoya will shutter Pentax USA to cut EVEN MORE overhead costs. With an outside firm, amazon already inplace distributing pentax gear to dealers and now an outside firm has been hired to now perform factory authoized pentax repairs maybe closing Pentax USA and laying off all pentax usa employees and selling off their building is next smart biz move for Hoya ????????????

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
A source for this assumption has never been provided. It is pure conjecture. Please don't repeat it as fact unless someone can actually back this up.

And a hint: just saying, "it is absolutely true!" is not a supporting fact.

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-03-2009 at 01:19 PM.
08-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

$660, $630, $599...

K20D B&H instock free deivery $630

Pentax | K20D SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 19381 | B&H

K20D at Walmart out of stock for $599 plus local fees, free delivery to store in your hood.

Shop around, walmart is still showing "3 year warranty" on their K20D and kit lens combo instock at $699...

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I assume they would still honor any warranty on a K20 purchase right? If so I may purchase an extra one to have for the m42 lenses so I don't have to mess with changing out the adapter. Amazon has them right now at $660. That's a pretty good deal.

I'm waiting until after Xmas to do the K7. I think the price will come down and I'm pretty satisfied with the K20 since I wouldn't be using the video function.
08-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A source for this assumption has never been provided. It is pure conjecture.

Indeed, like 90% of the stuff posted in this RUMOUR section.

08-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
To me, this signals the replacement for the K200D.
08-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Indeed, like 90% of the stuff posted in this RUMOUR section.
Yeah, there is that. I suppose I should just ignore it. My bad...
08-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
NoStatic Dude , I ignored your needed "Proof" just like you ignored my desire to know how many shots you ran up on the ADORAMA K-7 your returned in "like new shape" that had no defects, you know after your test drove Adorama's K-7 to then Chit~Chat about using Adorama's "generous dslr return policy"
OK, here ya go. As for how many shutter actuations, I didn't count. If I had to venture a guess I'd say around 300. Since you apparently are the self-appointed return police perhaps you should call Adorama and put them hot on my trail. Do I have to send back the 15/4 that I just bought from them (and am keeping)? Or the other thousands of $$$ of gear I purchased from them over the past few years?

And what part of "I didn't like the ergonomics" don't you understand? That is a perfectly viable reason for sending something back. And since Adorama credited me the money obviously they agree.

Now *that* is a fact, backed up by evidence.

As for the rest of your post, just more rumor and innuendo along with your "Pentax Death Watch ®" conclusions. From the CRIS press release:

"CRIS provides repair for camera manufacturers including Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Ricoh, Sigma, Fuji, Olympus, Sony, Kodak, Casio, and Panasonic. Located in Chandler, Arizona, CRIS is also the exclusive North American camera service center for Ricoh Corporation."

OMG!!!! The sky is falling!!!

08-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I was told this info from a very credible source, I didn't make it up

Whats the Point? Who cares who distributes pentax usa gear? So I was told recently its now amazon.com and camerashop dealers have to now meet $100,000 annual purchases to keep their Pentax franchise viable. Not news from last year, but this year, a maybe a month ago now. Who knows what will be required of Pentax gear dealers next year with Hoya in control of Pentax' Destiny.

Pentax is evolving:

For better or worse is your call, not mine.

It seems pointless to me to keep Pentax USA open for biz. I could see shuttering Pentax~USA as Another Brilliant Hoya Mandated Cost Cutting Move.

Concerning your ADOROMA K-7 no reason return : Ah, OK, "300" shots. Perfect. B&H allows for ONLY 200 shots max on camera returns.

I've read about people over the years who've used camera gear at weddings, vacations, events, and now lets say for a forum chit~chat and then return it for no reason. Adorama's loose return policy means I will never buy a camera (again) or anything else from them now.

I like buying Brand New, not Like New (used).

It is not a fact.

There ya go...you've been informed otherwise.

Generally, when someone make a claim it is up to them to provide backup. It isn't up to me to prove you wrong. Amazon very well could be the wholesale distributor but I haven't seen that mentioned by anyone but you, and my local dealer only said that they no longer have a Pentax rep. That does not mean that Amazon is now the wholesale distributor. They mentioned nothing about ordering from Amazon.

If Amazon is the distributor it doesn't bother me one bit. What does bother me is people making stuff up then it getting picked up by others as "fact."

And your "Pentax death watch" (carefully cloaked in "hey look at this deal" rhetoric) is getting rather transparent as well .

As for how many shutter actuations, I didn't count. If I had to venture a guess I'd say around 300. Since you apparently are the self-appointed return police perhaps you should call Adorama and put them hot on my trail. Do I have to send back the 15/4 that I just bought from them (and am keeping)? Or the other thousands of $$$ of gear I purchased from them over the past few years?

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-03-2009 at 02:13 PM.
08-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Canon repairs Canon, Nikon repairs Nikon

Sure you can find other companies that repair Canon and Nikon too.

Me? I'll only use Canon and Nikon facilities for any repairs I may need.

CRIS is replacing pentax service techs so

Pentax Corporation will not repair Pentax now as they will no longer have a pentax service department providing... service.

Sky is not falling. Pentax could fold up tomorrow and your cameras will still work. However, their resale value will tank but they'll still work as long as CRIS has repair parts and you then pay the repair bill to keep'um work'n.

OK, here ya go. As for how many shutter actuations, I didn't count. If I had to venture a guess I'd say around 300. Since you apparently are the self-appointed return police perhaps you should call Adorama and put them hot on my trail. Do I have to send back the 15/4 that I just bought from them (and am keeping)? Or the other thousands of $$$ of gear I purchased from them over the past few years?

And what part of "I didn't like the ergonomics" don't you understand? That is a perfectly viable reason for sending something back. And since Adorama credited me the money obviously they agree.

Now *that* is a fact, backed up by evidence.

As for the rest of your post, just more rumor and innuendo along with your "Pentax Death Watch ®" conclusions. From the CRIS press release:

"CRIS provides repair for camera manufacturers including Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Ricoh, Sigma, Fuji, Olympus, Sony, Kodak, Casio, and Panasonic. Located in Chandler, Arizona, CRIS is also the exclusive North American camera service center for Ricoh Corporation."

OMG!!!! The sky is falling!!!
08-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K20D B&H instock free deivery $630

Pentax | K20D SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 19381 | B&H

K20D at Walmart out of stock for $599 plus local fees, free delivery to store in your hood.

Shop around, walmart is still showing "3 year warranty" on their K20D and kit lens combo instock at $699...
A local retailer still wants $1,100 CDN for the body only... ($1,021 USD)
08-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads up on the pricing. I've done business with Amazon for a long time so I probably wouldn't change for $30. I absolutely will not shop at Walmart for anything because of their non union policies. They could be selling it for $100 and I wouldn't give them my money.

You sound kind of upset with Pentax. It's just a camera. I don't understand why everyone gets so worked up about this stuff.

I would say this if Pentax goes out of business I'd just buy a Cannon. I think they make K mount adapters for Cannon. I had a Nikon N90 and was never really happy with it. I'm sure they make great cameras, but I think I'd have to go with Cannon if Pentax went out of busines.

Anyway, appreciate the info.
08-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Concerning your ADOROMA K-7 no reason return : Ah, OK, "300" shots. Perfect. B&H allows for ONLY 200 shots max on camera returns.

I've read about people over the years who've used camera gear at weddings, vacations, events, and now lets say for a forum chit~chat and then return it for no reason. Adorama's loose return policy means I will never buy a camera (again) or anything else from them now.

I like buying Brand New, not Like New (used).
Return it for "no reason"? Again, what part of "I didn't like the ergonomics" do you not understand? Or are you just trying to be a jackass on purpose? If so you're doing a bang-up job.

So you'll buy a camera from B&H with 199 shots but completely avoid Adorama based on my "abuse" of their return policy? Do you know for a fact that Adorama turns around and sells the unit for new? No, you don't. Just like the other "facts" you don't know.

Your moral high horse is pretty and you look fine upon that noble steed. Maybe go ride to the Canikon forums so you can flash your Ethics Police badge there. They'll love it! As for me I'll take the low road outta here...
08-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

A source for this assumption has never been provided. It is pure conjecture. Please don't repeat it as fact unless someone can actually back this up.

And a hint: just saying, "it is absolutely true!" is not a supporting fact.
Hey!! that's WHY I qualified it silly!! hehehehe...I have not been able to find for certain info.

FYI you are aware there is also the fact that Amazon will warehouse and act as shipper for ANY company now, right? Perhaps that might be what Amazon is doing. That would also make as much sense to me as would selling off the current inventory backlog to them at a big dicsount in order to clear out the overhead and add cash to the HoyaTax coffers. Coin toss either way and odds are it will land on it's edge!!
08-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Hey!! that's WHY I qualified it silly!! hehehehe...I have not been able to find for certain info.

FYI you are aware there is also the fact that Amazon will warehouse and act as shipper for ANY company now, right? Perhaps that might be what Amazon is doing. That would also make as much sense to me as would selling off the current inventory backlog to them at a big dicsount in order to clear out the overhead and add cash to the HoyaTax coffers. Coin toss either way and odds are it will land on it's edge!!
I agree that it makes sense, but I have seen no statement from anyone "in the know" that Amazon is currently the wholesale distributor for Pentax. If I were Pentax I would consider it if they can beat the terms of other wholesalers. But there also is an odd dynamic with having the wholesale distributor also be a retailer. You can currently buy some Pentax gear direct from Amazon, and others is a "passthrough" to Adorama or other online vendors (but still through the Amazon system). Maybe that is part of the deal though - Amazon restricts what they will retail.

But this is all conjecture and I offer it as such. Again, having Amzon as wholesaler doesn't bother me one bit. Having people yammering on about conjecture and representing it as "fact" does bug me.

Maybe I should start drinking more...
08-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Sure you can find other companies that repair Canon and Nikon too.

Me? I'll only use Canon and Nikon facilities for any repairs I may need.

CRIS is replacing pentax service techs so

Pentax Corporation will not repair Pentax now as they will no longer have a pentax service department providing... service.

Sky is not falling. Pentax could fold up tomorrow and your cameras will still work. However, their resale value will tank but they'll still work as long as CRIS has repair parts and you then pay the repair bill to keep'um work'n.
That, to me, is good news. I had to have a couple Sigma lenses serviced. And both times Sigma in NY was backed-up so they sent it to C.R.I.S. in AZ, who was a pure joy to deal with...very friendly and professional at the same time.