Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K7 and AF540 flash deal at walmart...and is K7 purchase required for lens rebates?

I was looking through the Pentax offerings over on the walmart site and found what looks like a pretty good deal. They have an 'AF540 flash deal' with a listed price of $859. If you into the link, it gives you a list of 5 cameras to choose from, including the K7. If you choose this option it give a price of just over $1500 - seems like pretty good deal if you're in the market for both, thought I would post it!

Walmart.com: Your Choice Pentax Digital SLR Plus Pentax AF540FGZ Flash Value Bundle: Digital Cameras

I was also curious regarding this PDF on the walmart link above. It is in regards to the rebates for lenses you get when you purchase a K7. At the bottom of the first page, it says the following: *K-7 UPC is not required. Curious if anyone knows anything about this?

http://i.walmart.com/i/rb/k7_bouncebackf.pdf

08-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter

i think you need to submit other items which are included only in the K-7 package.

read it here:

NED BUNNELL: First K-7's Arrive in US
08-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
i think you need to submit other items which are included only in the K-7 package.

read it here:

NED BUNNELL: First K-7's Arrive in US
Yeah I read his unboxing blog post. His notes indicate the rebate card is required, but not explicitly that the K7 UPC code is required. Obviously if the card in the box were the only way to get the rebates, then a K7 would be required. However, being that the rebate form is at the above link as a PDF document available to anyone, and given the note on both the rebate card as well as the PDF indicating that a K7 UPC is not required, these points tell me that a K7 purchase is in fact not required to obtain the rebates.

I'm not really in the market for anymore lenses at the moment, but thought this was worth mentioning for those that currently are.
08-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I recall, they will not accept anything but the card that is included in the box - so no fax, printed copies, etc. I guess if someone were to print the form from the pdf file on the appropriate weight card stock, on an appropriate printer, they could probably get away with it. But you'd have to know the appropriate card stock and make sure that the printer could print the exact same colors, etc.

08-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
As I recall, they will not accept anything but the card that is included in the box - so no fax, printed copies, etc. I guess if someone were to print the form from the pdf file on the appropriate weight card stock, on an appropriate printer, they could probably get away with it. But you'd have to know the appropriate card stock and make sure that the printer could print the exact same colors, etc.
Thats what I assumed as well, just seems strange that it is offered up in pdf format on one of their major online retail partners (not like someone at walmart scanned it, so how could it be from anywhere but directly from pentax...), and the rebate doesnt ask for the upc from a k7 purchase.
08-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder if the rebate is required for returns. How many shops will look for the rebate card in the returned box? Seems like an opportunity for unscrupulous types.
08-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
Igilligan

$1519 For the K7 and Af540 is a good deal! Is it not?

Walmart... where Pentaxians shop
08-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
$1519 For the K7 and Af540 is a good deal! Is it not?

Walmart... where Pentaxians shop
I have to disagree as one can buy the K-7 for $1299 shipped free at Amazon or other online camera seller. Pay about $340-$400 for the flash so that is about $1630-$1790 depending on the deal one finds on a flash. Purchases from Amazon as well as most other online retails are not charged sales tax (not saying this is right or wrong but is rather just a fact) and no sales tax in most states with the exception of WA residents. Assuming a best case price if purchased elsewhere and a 9% sales tax rate this gives a Walmart total of about $1655 so the result is the Walmart purchase is about $25 higher or it could be higher if you cannot find a good price on the flash. I think my point is that ultimately the combo package price is not that much of a deal.

Also has anyone ever tried to return a K-7 to Walmart yet? They can be somewhat arduous on larger ticket items or even $20 items as well. Given the problems I am reading about with the K-7's I am unsure any savings or convenience of buying at Walmart will be negated by return or replacement policies of Walmart themselves.

Add to that how many people have gone through more than two bodies in order to get one good body I am not sure I would be willing to roll those dice given that other options with a better track record on camera returns exist.

08-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snipenekkid Quote
I have to disagree as one can buy the K-7 for $1299 shipped free at Amazon or other online camera seller. Pay about $340-$400 for the flash so that is about $1630-$1790 depending on the deal one finds on a flash. Purchases from Amazon as well as most other online retails are not charged sales tax (not saying this is right or wrong but is rather just a fact) and no sales tax in most states with the exception of WA residents. Assuming a best case price if purchased elsewhere and a 9% sales tax rate this gives a Walmart total of about $1655 so the result is the Walmart purchase is about $25 higher or it could be higher if you cannot find a good price on the flash. I think my point is that ultimately the combo package price is not that much of a deal.

Also has anyone ever tried to return a K-7 to Walmart yet? They can be somewhat arduous on larger ticket items or even $20 items as well. Given the problems I am reading about with the K-7's I am unsure any savings or convenience of buying at Walmart will be negated by return or replacement policies of Walmart themselves.

Add to that how many people have gone through more than two bodies in order to get one good body I am not sure I would be willing to roll those dice given that other options with a better track record on camera returns exist.
I had given some thought to that as well. 6.5% tax here in MN would bring it just over $1600 - So, youre talking 2-3% savings over buying from a more photographically inclined online retailer (or just straight easier to return, such as amaon). At the same time, even if it were alittle hassle, if you could walk into walmart and return this, I would personally be alittle more comfortable than shipping it back at my own expense.
08-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #10

Returns

If you shop Walmart Site-to-store (free shipping to your closest WM) then you should be able to return items to that same store if you have a problem.