Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote

looks like the defect rate is about equal across 3 brands so far.
Heresy! You know deep in your heart that Pentax is responsible for the Canikon failures as well.

08-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
This forum is becoming more and more like a cult.
na na na na na na na na na na na na na.....LEADER!!!

08-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
5d mk2 - TBA , having some drama with customs and the police with this one.
This has to be a gooood story
08-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Wild !!! or Not ???

You decide...

Vertical Green Line Syndrome is not considered a sensor defect as its a "known problem".

Buy K-7 now or wait? - Are teething troubles ironed out yet? [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

>>>"

Re: Buy K-7 now or wait? - Are teething troubles ironed out yet? [SIMILAR]
Caat - 1 day ago
I am in a similar position - I am not sure whether to buy or wait.

To be honest the green line thing has me concerned - especially as Pentax Germany have said that this is known to occur and have indicated that it is not considered a fault. Hmmmm......

This raises way too many questions and potential hasstles with warranties and disputes over what does and doesn't constitute a fault. I don't want this kind of bother but I do want a camera which doesn't show a green line after taking video for a few minutes in warm weather (if this is indeed all that is required given the reports that the warm weather seems to be optional).

I would just go with the GX20/K20D but the K-7 has far more going for it.

-- hide signature --
PENTAX Photo Gallery: Artist Bio - Charley Coleman

Lightography

"<<<
JUST one response...WTF!!!!

08-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Unfortunately in this day and age you can always find a counterpoint to any issue. It's a matter of who or how many you believe.... always has been.
Case in point the above quoted dp review thread and another reply:
Being overly sarcastic doesn't really help any situation. You must understand that there is a huge number of people that own this camera now and have had no problems, compared to a very small number that have had problems. We're talking about a percentage of defective camera's per total sales being in the minor decimals of a percentage point. If you think Nikon/Canon/Sony etc have a smaller percentage of defective camera's on delivery, you are honestly kidding yourself.

As I previously said, I work here at the distributor, but do not voice opinion on their behalf. I know enough to say that from walking into the service department and asking around that there haven't been any major complaints; only a lot of people asking about issues that they've read on the forums. The tech department are yet to receive one for repair.

Re: Survey...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Maybe Australia has all the good one's.........
Issues are usually blown out of proportion and sometimes "minimalists" are also a bit too vehement..... such is the internet.
Exactly. I'm glad I didn't listen too hard to all the noise on forums, when I bought my DSLR. It has been a lot of fun since, and for real photography; I've had no issues. A few user faults, but let's not get into that...

Last edited by Jonson PL; 08-11-2009 at 02:29 PM.
08-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
This has to be a gooood story
Lets just say I refused to pay a bribe, and will end up paying more than $1000 usd to get my 5d mk2. Welcome to the 3rd world.
08-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Anti-Pentax troll alert... more happy to talk about his Canikon gear and tell the world how much money he spent/saved than actually posting any pictures. As to blogging, it might be a pretty boring blog because it would be devoid of any pictures... imagine, loads of opinion on camera gear on Pentaxforums but last I checked, sadly not even a single photo posted in the "Post Your Photos!" section. Draw your own conclusions, folks.
At least I find time to post some pictures between my Canikon fanboy posts

Torphoto: you must have some seriously bad luck with cameras, with some 70% of them failing on you...
08-13-2009, 04:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
But the video is the best out there on a APS-C dSLR. Even the D300s only manages 720P @24fps
What a rediculous point to make. 24p is loved by film makers, and infact I've been reading that people are moaning that the 5d MK2 is only 30fps without a 24p option. It's got nothing to do with Pentax making a more superior video product.

08-13-2009, 05:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Torphoto: you must have some seriously bad luck with cameras, with some 70% of them failing on you...
Ah the nikons never got into my hands, they were failing before I even got to them, remember the studio has other photogs who use the gear to, the 5d mirror falling off issue is known and canon has a free repair on it, only the K7's gave me issues with the lines. In general my gear works problem free or gear in my care doesn't get broken.

Although I am having some suspicions about our customs people, the bg-e6 when I got it was visibly tampered with. These are guys known to cut open teddy bears and drink some of the wine you try an import, one was even caught with someones flat screen tv that was supposed to be "bonded" with them. So who knows.
08-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
What a rediculous point to make. 24p is loved by film makers, and infact I've been reading that people are moaning that the 5d MK2 is only 30fps without a 24p option. It's got nothing to do with Pentax making a more superior video product.
It depends on the application and what you're shooting. I personally don't like 24P (actually 24D with the XH-A1) as you can get a lot of strobing and smearing with panning and other movements. Since I'm not transferring to film I prefer 30p or 60i.
08-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Exactly. If you want to shoot video, buy a second body for that or better yet, they have this thing called a VIDEO CAMERA....................

It's a marketing gimmick because Nikon started this crap and all the "reviews" trashed any new camera without this 'feature'.

For the first time I'm on the 24x36 bandwagon so they can make a serious camera and not have video in it by claiming it's a serious still photographers unit.

Btw I had a chance to play with a D5000 on the weekend. Play being the operative word. This thing is a cheap, flimsy toy. God help all of us if that's the future of SLR's. Congrats to Pentax for still building a solid unit.
A gimmick? As a film maker, I am totally impressed by the eos 5D video option

that's what you can do with it.
I thought I could expect a good video from the K7, seems not, and seems that I will be leaving soon....
:ugh:
08-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
A gimmick? As a film maker, I am totally impressed by the eos 5D video option

that's what you can do with it.
I thought I could expect a good video from the K7, seems not, and seems that I will be leaving soon....
:ugh:
You dunno what you're talking about. Try it.
08-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Try what? Do I know you? Do you know me? WHo do you think you are to talk to me like that?
The 5D already tried, the K7? With the green line and all ? Nope...
Plus in France, the customer service and support are no longer made by Pentax but by a private company and it is totally scary.
08-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
Try what? Do I know you? Do you know me? WHo do you think you are to talk to me like that?
The 5D already tried, the K7? With the green line and all ? Nope...
Plus in France, the customer service and support are no longer made by Pentax but by a private company and it is totally scary.
ok, so don't try it. Just leave then I guess...

No need to get all huffy. He was just suggesting that perhaps the K7 video isn't as bad as you assume (others have used it to good effect), but if you are worried about the "green line" (so far a very small percentage of users see it) and lack of support, then by all means buy and shoot Canon and be happy.

As for video on a dSLR, it is what it is. It still is largely a parlor trick and has some serious ergonomic and usability issues. In the right (patient) hands however it can yield great results. But imho if I had to shoot a project (and we just did) there is no way in hell I'd suggest any of the current dSLRs out there. I'll stick with an HVX200 or XH-A1. Depends on what you're trying to achieve and your workflow/crew.

Last edited by nostatic; 08-13-2009 at 08:26 AM.
08-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Look , it's not about shooting another brand and being happy, it's about being happy with the gear I have, right?
First of I don't "assume" anything, I've been reading and I have watched and haven't been convinced.

So if there are issues on the video mode, which is not a "gimmick" and which can be of tremendous help in documentaries (what I do) PLUS if the customer service in Europe is not doing it's job, there's no way I can afford wasting my time on gear.

Could you all cut that attitude of "well switch and be happy" like this is an insult to even question the efficiency of Pentax gear....?

Last edited by Substitute; 08-13-2009 at 11:16 AM.