Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
Look , it's not about shooting another brand and being happy, it's about beign happy with the gear I have, right?
First of I don't "assume" anything I've been reading and I have watched and haven't been convinced.

So if there are issues on the video mode, which is not a "gimmick" and which can be of tremendous help in documentaries (what I do) PLUS if the customer service in Europe is not doing it's job, there's no way I can afford wasting my time on gear.

Could you all cut that attitude of "well switch and be happy" like this is an insult to even question the efficiency of Pentax gear....?
Sure. Could you cut the attitude of "who do you think you are to talk to me like that?" Then we'll be even

He didn't attack you, just suggested you try it. But I don't understand your post. Do you have a K7? If not, and are looking for a dSLR that can do video, then how can you be happy with the "gear you have"?

You didn't "question" Pentax gear, but rather gave a mini rant about video not being a gimmick and then said you'd be leaving because the K7 has issues. Well, if you've already determined that you need video in a dSLR and the K7 won't work for you, then why do you feel the need to inform us?

I will still maintain that doing video on a dSLR is less than optimal outside of a select set of conditions. I have shot documentary-type footage as well as dramatic with various video cams. I have played with dSLR and p&s doing the same. imho a good HD camcorder will beat the dSLR for handling and workflow. The dSLR is only good if you're trying to do something "artsy", don't have robust location sound needs, and want really shallow DOF. If I was doing a 1 or 2 person video shoot, a dSLR would be my absolute last choice, but everyone is different.

Pentax is far from perfect. Feel free to question, but the OP has no personal experience with the camera and is just reposting recycled user reports of isolated incidents. But if you have tried the 5Dmk2 and like it, then why stick with Pentax given your opinions on their customer service and fear of quality of the K7? That is a serious question.

I think people should be as happy as possible with their gear. I understand the frustration of those that have problems. But I also see a lot of FUD being spread and for whatever reason that bugs me. If you believe some threads on the interwebs pretty much every product ever made is a mis-functioning death trap made by an evil company that will soon go out of business and said product that will soon kill us all, or at least maim puppies and cute babies.

Last edited by nostatic; 08-13-2009 at 11:02 AM.
09-02-2009, 05:55 AM   #32
Veteran Member

New K-7 1.01 firmware

Dominique on DPR posts a new 1.01 firmware is available, version number change is only on the minor and only notable in the exif data of a photo. This version fixes the green line issue on his camera.

K-7 with 1.01 showing the green line problem:
DSP Firmware Version: 1.01.00.05
CPU Firmware Version: 1.01.00.05

K-7 with 1.01 of yesterday, without the green line problem:
DSP Firmware Version: 1.01.00.09
CPU Firmware Version: 1.01.00.09

Thank you
Russell
09-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
It's the new RH! Now all you need is a blog...
Indeed. Same twisted logic, irrational responses, misdirection and just plain vexing a**hat-sihness.

Samsungian officially added to Ignore List
09-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #34
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Indeed. Same twisted logic, irrational responses, misdirection and just plain vexing a**hat-sihness.

Samsungian officially added to Ignore List
Is that the right path Monochrome, you think? In my book people like him need to be actively debunked for all the ineptitude they seem so eager to regurgitate. Not for us the old members here but for the new guys who join here and people who google for info without knowing the cloth guys like him are made of.

Regards,
Radu

09-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Is that the right path Monochrome, you think? In my book people like him need to be actively debunked for all the ineptitude they seem so eager to regurgitate. Not for us the old members here but for the new guys who join here and people who google for info without knowing the cloth guys like him are made of.

Regards,
Radu
Well, you have a point, but there is also the fact that he just wants attention.

Responding feeds the want - and causes him to redirect the argument to keep the responses coming.

I choose to just ignore - and he will go elsewhere.

I really don't come here to get in flame wars with irrational idiots. Eventually these threads will just send me elsewhere (or nowhere - there is no elsewhere) or posting pictures and never commenting.

This seems like a pretty good time to just lay low for a while.
09-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Dominique on DPR posts a new 1.01 firmware is available, version number change is only on the minor and only notable in the exif data of a photo. This version fixes the green line issue on his camera.

K-7 with 1.01 showing the green line problem:
DSP Firmware Version: 1.01.00.05
CPU Firmware Version: 1.01.00.05

K-7 with 1.01 of yesterday, without the green line problem:
DSP Firmware Version: 1.01.00.09
CPU Firmware Version: 1.01.00.09

Thank you
Russell
Now THIS is an important an rational response. If/When Pentax announces this FW upgrade there should be a separate thread entry. And Samsungian can
09-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Monochrome & Radu

Monochrome & Radu

I lurked here for several months before I joined. I am well aware how certain pentaxians can act when they play gang up. Your response to me is just another example. Radu is no different. Theres a reason why Pentax USA does not directly link this site from Pentax USA. I wonder what the reason is??? Let me guess, Why Not Grab a Mirror Dude(s)? People like you flaming others does more to drag the brand down than what you accuse others of doing to Hoya's Pentax Logo.

No Biggie. Ignore me or don't ignore me, your opinion and others who rag on Pentax owners' dissenting opinions about the brand's direction, quality control or lack of quality control are worthless to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well, you have a point, but there is also the fact that he just wants attention.

Responding feeds the want - and causes him to redirect the argument to keep the responses coming.

I choose to just ignore - and he will go elsewhere.

I really don't come here to get in flame wars with irrational idiots. Eventually these threads will just send me elsewhere (or nowhere - there is no elsewhere) or posting pictures and never commenting.

This seems like a pretty good time to just lay low for a while.