Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Germany does not consider K-7 Green Line Sensor Faults... A defect

Wild !!! or Not ???

You decide...

Vertical Green Line Syndrome is not considered a sensor defect as its a "known problem".

Buy K-7 now or wait? - Are teething troubles ironed out yet? [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

>>>"

Re: Buy K-7 now or wait? - Are teething troubles ironed out yet? [SIMILAR]
Caat - 1 day ago
I am in a similar position - I am not sure whether to buy or wait.

To be honest the green line thing has me concerned - especially as Pentax Germany have said that this is known to occur and have indicated that it is not considered a fault. Hmmmm......

This raises way too many questions and potential hasstles with warranties and disputes over what does and doesn't constitute a fault. I don't want this kind of bother but I do want a camera which doesn't show a green line after taking video for a few minutes in warm weather (if this is indeed all that is required given the reports that the warm weather seems to be optional).

I would just go with the GX20/K20D but the K-7 has far more going for it.

-- hide signature --
PENTAX Photo Gallery: Artist Bio - Charley Coleman

Lightography

"<<<

08-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect that the answer is to treat the camera as a still camera, and treat the video for what it is, that being a gimmick that they've had to put in place to keep up with the Jonses
08-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I suspect that the answer is to treat the camera as a still camera, and treat the video for what it is, that being a gimmick that they've had to put in place to keep up with the Jonses
But the video is the best out there on a APS-C dSLR. Even the D300s only manages 720P @24fps
08-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heres a person with 2 K-7 and he's not shooting HD or LV w/ the bad sensor K-7

Same thread page two:

>>>"

johnami wrote:

Are you buying a box to take photographs or a video camera?

The green line 'phenomenon' has been discussed and apparently relates to the temperature of the sensor when filming. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 'line' shouldn't appear under normal operational conditions.

I do have two K-7. One is working perfectly, not any single green line whatever conditions I do use it.

The other K-7 does show the thin green line on a normal warm summer day here in Switzerland, even without using Liveview or video. At 320iso, this green line does appear at 34°C.

I am in contact with Pentax Germany, they do try to find out where the problem comes from and I am promised to have the problem solved by end of August.

-- hide signature --
Dominique

Dominique Schreckling's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
Flickr: Dominique Schreckling (tcom)'s Photostream

<<<"

08-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Wild !!! or Not ???
Vertical Green Line Syndrome is not considered a sensor defect as its a "known problem".
@Samsungian,

why do you cite threads in other forums which got their info from one of our threads here? And in particular create a new thread?

The original info is here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/673482-post148.html

Samsungian, you actually participated in this thread ...

All references to what Pentax Gewrmany says about the issue can be traced back to this post (when in English language).

Now, not only is it my post, it is a statement W.Baus of Pentax Germany added to the FAQ section after I made him aware of the issue (the statement was edited by Pentax since). So, I pretty much know what this statement does mean and what it does not mean.

It means that Pentax knows about the problem.

It does not mean that Pentax has decided if it is a defect or not. The issue currently is under investigation in Japan and Pentax Germany promised to inform concerned parties as soon as the investigation has yielded results. It has not so far.

Therefore, Samsungian, you created a thread which is redundant at best and claims false information at worst.

I recommend everybody to continue any discussion of the green line artifact in the appropriate thread, i.e., here:

-> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/65879-k7-busted-se...tion-body.html

(I'll unsubscribe from this thread now)
08-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No one at Pentax USA reads German?

Here's an enlightening post from Pentax USA support in the same growing thread. I guess Pentax USA has not read Falk's post #148 where he translates Pentax Germany ??? Heck I can't blame Pentax USA, who would think you'd have to dig thru a blog to find out what your Corporation is doing concerning defective K-7 sensors. I know Falk expected me to know of his Post #148 so maybe pentax USA should be blamed for missing post #148 ??? Anyways heres more to digest concerning the way Pentax USA handles the K-7 sensor problems a few days ago. Oh yeah and I wonder why Pentax USA thinks K-7 comes with "1 year warranty" ??? What happened to the K-7 Three year USA factory warranty ???

>>>"

I received the following two replies from Pentax technical support in response to my concerns about the "green line" issue. In short, they do not acknowledge any "issue" with the camera. This tells me that I need to wait a couple more months for tech support to catch on. I so dislike short shrift answers from customer service people. It sounds like they are either out of touch or don't care.

Here they are:

Thank you for contacting Pentax regarding the K-7 DSLR.

I'm sorry, there is no known issue with the K-7. If the camera has an issue that is a manufacture default when purchased, it comes with a one year warranty and would be repaired for free.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

If you would like to participate in our new Pentax Survey, please call 1-800-350-3891.

Sincerely,
Michael C
Pentax Imaging Technical Support

Your Email:
Donian:

Thank you for your reply.

While you have seen only one such instance of the "green line", many dozens have been reported on the Pentax.com, dpreview and Steve's digicam web sites.

Since Pentax will replace the sensor upon receipt of a camera having the green line problem, does this mean that Pentax has confirmed that the
green line is a sensor problem and not some other as yet unknown problem?
I would feel much more comfortable in purchasing the K7 knowing that
Pentax knows for certain that the sensor was the problem and has

implemented a reliable "fix" to it. Was there a faulty batch of sensors and are the new replacement sensors known for certain to be free of this problem?

Please let me know if you would like me to forward the various forum
threads that have reported this green line problem.

--- On Fri, 8/7/09, photo_end_US@pentax.com
wrote:

Subject: E-mail webform
To:
Date: Friday, August 7, 2009, 9:58 AM

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

I have only seen one camera with this problem out of thousands of K7s that have been sold.

In the statistically highly highly unlikely chance that you get a camera with this problem, we would of course replace the sensor for you.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

If you would like to participate in our new Pentax Survey, please call 1-800-350-3891.

Best Regards,
Dorian Black
Pentax Imaging Technical Support

Your Email:

I have read much from different sources about a vertical green line that appears on images possibly resulting from overheating.

I am interested in purchasing this camera, but will not as long as this problem exists. Can you advise 1) has Pentax acknowledged this problem in the K7? 2) I a fix possible? 3) Is a fix proposed or being made? 4) If so, can you advise when it will be implemented and in what manner?

I really do like the specs and features of this camera - I would like to purchse by the end of this year.

<<<"
08-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's the new RH! Now all you need is a blog...

08-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you could just buy a blog, he'd tell us what he spent, and how much he saved...
08-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
It's the new RH! Now all you need is a blog...
Anti-Pentax troll alert... more happy to talk about his Canikon gear and tell the world how much money he spent/saved than actually posting any pictures. As to blogging, it might be a pretty boring blog because it would be devoid of any pictures... imagine, loads of opinion on camera gear on Pentaxforums but last I checked, sadly not even a single photo posted in the "Post Your Photos!" section. Draw your own conclusions, folks.
08-11-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
emr

This forum is becoming more and more like a cult.
08-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #11
RaduA

I really don't get you people ... do you think it is easy to have 10K USD worth of gear and not know anything about a decent WB in your pictures that present that treasure? Or to write 500 consecutive messages that can be resumed to: "I paied x dollars for brand y on time z"? I think not!

One day you'll understand that Rebatian's mission is to protect us from the bad, bad Pentax and in general from any form of fanboysm. Following his path of having lots and knowing nothing about it is the path to enlightenment. After all, why one should occupy his average brain with stupid things such as ISO numbers, f stops, exposure times and other bs when he can memorize essential numbers such as prices and dates of purchase.

Radu
08-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Unfortunately in this day and age you can always find a counterpoint to any issue. It's a matter of who or how many you believe.... always has been.
Case in point the above quoted dp review thread and another reply:
Being overly sarcastic doesn't really help any situation. You must understand that there is a huge number of people that own this camera now and have had no problems, compared to a very small number that have had problems. We're talking about a percentage of defective camera's per total sales being in the minor decimals of a percentage point. If you think Nikon/Canon/Sony etc have a smaller percentage of defective camera's on delivery, you are honestly kidding yourself.

As I previously said, I work here at the distributor, but do not voice opinion on their behalf. I know enough to say that from walking into the service department and asking around that there haven't been any major complaints; only a lot of people asking about issues that they've read on the forums. The tech department are yet to receive one for repair.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=32647883

Maybe Australia has all the good one's.........
Issues are usually blown out of proportion and sometimes "minimalists" are also a bit too vehement..... such is the internet.
08-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #13
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
You didn't understood much from the dvolk story on the dpreview I think or the guy who was appalled that K-7 doesn't have 1/250 X-sync. You jump at the *fanboys* and defend the *victims* without pondering where the truth lies in that particular case. I guess it makes you feel better and cool yet it doesn't make you right!

Radu
08-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Exactly. If you want to shoot video, buy a second body for that or better yet, they have this thing called a VIDEO CAMERA....................

It's a marketing gimmick because Nikon started this crap and all the "reviews" trashed any new camera without this 'feature'.

For the first time I'm on the 24x36 bandwagon so they can make a serious camera and not have video in it by claiming it's a serious still photographers unit.

Btw I had a chance to play with a D5000 on the weekend. Play being the operative word. This thing is a cheap, flimsy toy. God help all of us if that's the future of SLR's. Congrats to Pentax for still building a solid unit.
08-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
We're talking about a percentage of defective camera's per total sales being in the minor decimals of a percentage point. If you think Nikon/Canon/Sony etc have a smaller percentage of defective camera's on delivery, you are honestly kidding yourself..
Lets count defects the studio has encountered

k20d 0 defects from 2 units ( one was stolen ) most reliable camera so far.

D300 2 defects from 3 units ( one unit stopped AF with any lens due to moisture, another had the af switch arrive broken, 3rd is holding up ok )

5D mk1 1 defect from 1 unit ( mirror fell off, free out of warrant repair, waiting on canon to return it )

D700 1 defect from 1 unit ( would just shut off for no reason after 10-20 shots returned for refund )

K7 3 defects from 3 units ( green lines )

5d mk2 - TBA , having some drama with customs and the police with this one.

looks like the defect rate is about equal across 3 brands so far.