Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #1

Ricol Gz-1?

Ran across this, no idea of authenticity.

RICOH NEW GZ-1 Rumor | GB LIFE STYLE

"Bridge camera from Ricoh, Pentax and Samsung, based on the DA15 Limited, and with a Ricoh-designed and branded body (GRD-based) with Samsung's 14MP CMOS sensor, to become a compact body with exchangeable lenses, GZ-1.

the web site obtained pictures of engineering samples - compared with GRD and GX, it retains the two dials, is slightly larger, and added a small top LCD. 3" 0.9MP back LCD, internal flash and a red LED AF assist light. Tv mode is added. There's a lens release button at the front, which can be paired with compact interchangeable lenses.

In the future there'll be a PK Mount adaptor, much like how M4/3 uses existing 4/3 lenses (it's unknown whether it supports AE and AF). It's rumoured that this move can diversity Ricoh's product range, increase sales and market share of Pentax lenses, and expand Samsung's territories on sensors and related electronics. Availability: TBA."

08-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
that looks really cool.
i would buy it!
08-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfier Quote

"Bridge camera from Ricoh, Pentax and Samsung, based on the DA15 Limited, and with a Ricoh-designed and branded body (GRD-based) with Samsung's 14MP CMOS sensor, to become a compact body with exchangeable lenses, GZ-1.

the web site obtained pictures of engineering samples - compared with GRD and GX, it retains the two dials, is slightly larger, and added a small top LCD. 3" 0.9MP back LCD, internal flash and a red LED AF assist light. Tv mode is added. There's a lens release button at the front, which can be paired with compact interchangeable lenses.

In the future there'll be a PK Mount adaptor, much like how M4/3 uses existing 4/3 lenses (it's unknown whether it supports AE and AF). It's rumoured that this move can diversity Ricoh's product range, increase sales and market share of Pentax lenses, and expand Samsung's territories on sensors and related electronics. Availability: TBA."
No way. Registration distance of 15mm lens too large and scale completely wrong. Obvious photoshop chop job but in principle (owning a Ricoh GX100 and several LTD lenses) I love the idea.
08-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
No way. Registration distance of 15mm lens too large and scale completely wrong. Obvious photoshop chop job but in principle (owning a Ricoh GX100 and several LTD lenses) I love the idea.
Not saying you're wrong, but the translation and some other rumor sites seem to indicate it's based on a redesigned "lightweight" 15mm Ltd. I'm not an optics nerd, so I have no idea whether you even could redesign an existing lens for a different registration distance, but there you go.

But oh how I want this to be true.

Edit: Just for clarification, I don't use "nerd" as a pejorative, I generally use it as a sign of respect for people who have vast amount of knowledge on a subject.

08-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I'm wondering why Ricoh'd pair up with Pentax, though it would indeed be awesome. Ricoh's made some excellent cameras, and I'd love for them to do a high-grade compact with Pentax...
08-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfier Quote

This sounds excellent, but...

1. "based on the DA15 ltd"(*) doesn't make much sense because of different flange back distance, as mentioned already;

2. It would be odd of Samsung to lend their sensor when they are coming up with their own "micro-APS" compact body this fall;

3. It would be really annoying if this turned out to be true, as Ricoh apparently still does not distribute their cameras in Canada.

(*): Everybody would scream at the lens being "only f/4" anyway...
08-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yep, I expect a non-retrofocus 15mm f/4 would look quite different than the current, retrofocus design.
But I like the idea (not sure I would pay the money, though...)

08-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

the proportions just don't look right, i'm leaning on photochop too
but if this ever worked out...
08-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to throw out there. Pentax did redesign the 43mm ltd for Leica (I think?) for their rangefinders so they obviously can decrease the registration distance.
08-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I don't think they did, MK. I remember reading on APUG or somewhere one of the 43mm LTM owners noting how the the lens mount's basically an extension tube to bring the rear lens out to the requisite 45.46mm distance.
08-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well it appears I would be incorrect then. Haha I take back the previous statement.
08-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
RaduA

For me the giveaway that this was a farce was the inclusion of Samsung in the mix. Pentax doesn't need Samsung approval to use the sensor in other camera and I doubt they (S) would work with both Ricoh and Pentax in a project whilst working solo for the NX.

Fact is I think Ricoh and Pentax are a match for a premium compact camera (or more) and I hope they could start a collaboration soon.

Radu
08-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #13
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i'm leaning on photochop too
Well they do say that it *is* a photoshop job made for illustration...

Pretty much the only part I can read on that page.
08-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I'm wondering why Ricoh'd pair up with Pentax, though it would indeed be awesome. Ricoh's made some excellent cameras, and I'd love for them to do a high-grade compact with Pentax...
Ricoh used to make slr's with a k mount, so there is a history there...sort of
08-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
Inactive Account

As GX-100 owner I would say the body of that camera on the picture looks exactly like the GX-100/200 (apart from the top LCD right to the flash). (may be photoshop)

Anyway the idea sounds very promising as the GX-100 is a very nicely built compact with superb ergonomics. Sadly IQ suffers from the megapixel war a lot at ISO anything higher than 200.

Andras