Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Hoya Interview.. To make PENTAX turn profit by 2010.

Looks like Hoya has faith in PENTAX

"digital camera business needs to seek alliances for survival in the long term"
Pentax Samsung is the love over?

UPDATE 1-INTERVIEW-Hoya aims to turn Pentax profitable this year | Reuters

08-18-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I wouldn't exactly describe the tone of the remarks as ebullient.

Anyone care to speculate on possible alliances?
08-18-2009, 04:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Well, I wouldn't exactly describe the tone of the remarks as ebullient.

FUJIFILM Microdevices... Since Fuji have decided to get out of Dslr's?
08-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Alliance with Fuji would been awesome! Gimme one of those Super CCD sensors raaaaaaaah!

08-18-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If they can make an "alliance" that moves them forward, then that's where the future is. Unfortunately, this comment from Hoya is not good, in that they may have convinced themselves that an alliance is the only move for them;if it doesn't happen, then there may be no other positive option (in their minds). Management can develop a mindset just as an individual does.
08-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax needs an alliance with a company whose strengths lie where Pentax's do not - i.e. the electronics side.

For example companies like Fuji and Samsung who can produces sensors.

I've never been entirely sure what Fuji's motivations are with its APS-C sensor manufacturing. It just rebranded/reworked a few Nikon models but has seemingly shown little desire to take things forward or sell its sensors to other companies. Maybe it would be willing to sell to Pentax but I'm not sure.
08-18-2009, 06:49 AM   #7

I think it's not good....
If this press release uses the common "Investors Relations"-type language, this means "don't worry, we won't keep this loss-making business and will do whatever it takes, from merging it to selling it to whomever is ready to pay a decent price for it".
My bet is on a buyout by Samsung, who have both the money and the strategic interest.

08-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by tomele Quote
My bet is on a buyout by Samsung, who have both the money and the strategic interest.
Is that bad?

My crystal ball reveals nothing. I guess it depends on how they will treat the K-mount.
If they are commited to keep it alive, a buyout could be a very positive thing for the mount.
08-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I thought they had an alliance with Samsung, but appears that has cooled off as Samsung seem to be indicating they want to go it alone ...or am I reading this situation incorrectly.
08-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I thought Pentax already had an alliance with Samsung

Maybe Hoya is just going to let the world know of Pentax love for Samsung?

Pentax uses Samsung sensors. Samsung makes autofocusing K Mount Dslrs with their Samsung Logo proudly displayed. Some say Samsung already manufacturered Pentax logo'd dslrs to Pentax spec prior to Hoya buyout of Pentax Corp. Switching to another company like Fuji will stall future progress in the short term. For this profitability to happen in just "one year" I highly doubt Hoya in Japan is publically courting anyone other than Samsung in Korea.

I see the announcement as Hoya embracing Samsung's existing role in pentax products and allowing for even more Pentax employeee layoffs. Maybe Samsung will get a bigger slice of the wedding cake with Hoya's blessings? In the meantime I see some even bigger lens price increases on existing lens inventory as was stated in the last Hoya Ceo report.

Pentax 2009 lens price increases that don't matter to me as my old k-mount glass works real well with K20D. I've come to terms with not buying new autofocus or SDM pentax lenses based on beating even higher price increases likely to occur in the near future. Maybe Hoya will hold the K-7 $1,299 launch price longer? They certainly make more per unit selling direct off pentax usa website. I noticed Pentax USA does not charge State Sales Taxes on their website sales. Thats a neat loophole.

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-18-2009 at 07:24 AM.
08-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

Maybe Hoya is just going to let the world know of Pentax love for Samsung?

Pentax uses Samsung sensors. Samsung makes autofocusing K Mount Dslrs with their Samsung Logo proudly displayed. Some say Samsung already manufacturered Pentax logo'd dslrs to Pentax spec prior to Hoya buyout of Pentax Corp. Switching to another company like Fuji will stall future progress in the short term. For this profitability to happen in just "one year" I highly doubt Hoya in Japan is publically courting anyone other than Samsung in Korea.

I see the announcement as Hoya embracing Samsung's existing role in pentax products and allowing for even more Pentax employeee layoffs. Maybe Samsung will get a bigger slice of the wedding cake with Hoya's blessings? In the meantime I see some even bigger lens price increases on existing lens inventory as was stated in the last Hoya Ceo report.
While Samsung rebrand Pentax DSLRs, they make their own P&S cameras, perhaps using Pentax lenses, but not sure about that. It is the P&S market where the margins have shrunk to nothing and profits eroded ...I do not see Samsung rebranding Pentax P&S cameras ...perhaps Fuji might but any alliance needs to be more than Pentax using the other companies parts (ie: sensors), the other company needs to be using Pentax lenses or selling rebranded cameras to increase Pentax sales and profits. I do not believe Samsung has achieved the DSLR sales they hoped for and neither has Sony ...despite these companies market presence in the electronic equipment market, they do not seem to be seen as Camera companies.

If Samsung do end up owning Pentax, they may be better served to preserve the Pentax brand than to try and sell DSLRs under the Samsung brand.
08-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
If Samsung do end up owning Pentax, they may be better served to preserve the Pentax brand than to try and sell DSLRs under the Samsung brand.
A closer alliance would really benefit both companies. It has always seemed silly to me that Samsung would release cloned versions of the same cameras.
08-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Two Hoya ceo reports ago

That report said Hoya planned to outsource all pentax point and shoot production to another company. That allowed Hoya the ability to lay off thousands of pentax employees and shutter related pentax factories. I'll guess in 2009 No Pentax P&S are manufactured by Pentax. Look at the Pentax X70 as its Made by Kodak. Same money for Kodak but Kodak version you gets you more features than the "Pentax" version offers. Like an attachable grip with a second shutter release for easier vertical shots.
08-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
RaduA

Samsung contribution in those 3 years is the same as their namesake's on this forum*

They essentially put their label on 2 Pentax cameras and 6 or 7 Pentax lens. They also refused to put their label on 3 more Pentax cameras and a lot of Pentax lenses in the mean time and build factories to make their own Pentax knock offs. Where were their money all those 3 years? And after that period they put all the resources behind a system from which they exclude Pentax altogether. The last (and only) innovative Samsung camera was 815Pro and they failed to follow up on this concept. They now make cameras with as many LCDs as possible (they soon will put one on either sides) and same tiny sensors they cannot even make for themselves. Letting alone the postponement of the NX into 2010.

Radu

*lots of empty talk and little to show for.

Last edited by RaduA; 08-18-2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: accidentally pressed submit instead of preview
08-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I see this going in either of two directions: Either Samsung and Pentax get even closer than before - with Samsung perhaps taking an equity stake in Pentax or even Hoya - or an end to that relationship with another company moving in.

For various reasons, Fujifilm may make sense. I won't argue with any of the logic above. But how about Panasonic and Olympus? It sounds kind of crazy but the host at 1001 Noisy Cameras makes a point: With Sony a model generation or two away from making full-frame genuinely affordable, the four-thirds contingent may find itself behind the 8-ball in terms of the upper end of the market. Or not.

Either way, I don't see this as something truly urgent. It doesn't necessary mean a lot has to happen over the next year or two. The Hoya CEO was talking about long-term prospects. I'm thinking in the 3-5 year area.