Kyodo News - Story

Mike.

05-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Looks like this deal is back on:
Kyodo News - Story

Mike.
I guess we will see. There have been so many claims and counter claims.
05-15-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hm, not sure I believe it yet, and with the way things have been going... I probably won't until it's official....

Additionally,
Does anyone know a place you can actually buy Pentax stock?
05-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #4

the drama continues

05-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Buying Pentax stock

Tell your broker you want to buy Pentax on the "pink sheets". It does trade in US. But, yahoo! indicates that the most recent US trade was more than a month ago, so it is VERY thin. This means you may have to offer a premium to get your order to fill. Note that on the Japan exchanges the stock is up, a lot, on the new merger news. It might be cool to own Pentax, but I doubt profitable.
05-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I certainly wouldn't be buying Pentax stock for the profit.

It's a way to invest in a company and help them with their development. And Pentax is someone I would like to help.
05-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I certainly wouldn't be buying Pentax stock for the profit.
No...but you could always hope that the merger doesn't go through and then short the stock

I mean...if your gonna buy stock...you gotta find a way to make money.

Stephen

05-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #8

on off
off on

As long as they get the 50-135 out the door. I can't see how any which way will affect me for quite some time. The effects of the merger will take some time to be seen by those already owning some gear, that aren't waiting for specific gear to roll out the door. Of course there are other lenses I'd like to see roll out and lenses that have rolled out that I'd like to have roll into my kit, but for the life of me I can't figure out why I spend time thinking about mergers or not, or why I am reading about them, and commenting about them.
05-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote
on off
off on

As long as they get the 50-135 out the door. I can't see how any which way will affect me for quite some time. The effects of the merger will take some time to be seen by those already owning some gear, that aren't waiting for specific gear to roll out the door. Of course there are other lenses I'd like to see roll out and lenses that have rolled out that I'd like to have roll into my kit, but for the life of me I can't figure out why I spend time thinking about mergers or not, or why I am reading about them, and commenting about them.
As has been reported, we should find out more Wed .....

wll
05-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I really hope they get the DA* 55/1.4 out the door. That lens may become a stellar concert/show/<insert low light situation here> lens.
05-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Looks like this deal is back on:
Kyodo News - Story

Didn't Pentax, just last Friday (5 days ago), say it intended to do it alone? The words "on our own" in the Bloomberg article below obviously doesn't include a merger with Hoya. A meeting with Sparx this week was also expected since that was also mentioned last week.

May 11 (Bloomberg) -- ...(snip)... This plan is to
show investors how much we can do on our own,''
Pentax President Takashi Watanuki told reporters
in Tokyo, without providing details. Pentax will
meet Sparx officials "sometime next week'' to
explain the business plan, he said. ...(snip)...

Since the article you linked to conflicts with Friday's official statement, I'm not going to believe a word of it until I hear something directly from Pentax.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 05-16-2007 at 06:46 AM.
05-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Hm, not sure I believe it yet, and with the way things have been going... I probably won't until it's official....
I wont believe it until a month after it is "official"
05-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #13
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kskjon Quote
I really hope they get the DA* 55/1.4 out the door. That lens may become a stellar concert/show/<insert low light situation here> lens.
From the way things look, if Pentax doesn't do something we may never see another lens or camera from them !!! I don't trust Hoya !

wll
05-15-2007, 11:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
From the way things look, if Pentax doesn't do something we may never see another lens or camera from them !!! I don't trust Hoya !
Your paranoia is a bit too extreme, don't you think??
05-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
wll
And I don't trust Pentax much more!

Was it Hoya that drove Pentax to the current situation where Camera division is barely profitable (and even that only recently) and it makes total economic sense to dump it? It boils down to one and simple thing - for long time Pentax was offering products that were not competitive, were not marketed properly or whatever and thus weren't selling well. And Pentax was loosing ground consistently for a long time until maybe K100/10D advent which came too little too late.