Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
don't forget to put back the orientation sensor. no sense removing that in the first place
They take up space.

Anyway, my two cents are, they'd *definitely* better weatherseal that puppy: that's where they're able to stand out in that bracket, anyway. People want the small outdoorsey body. and it's a slam dunk people would buy it.... It's something to crow about that everyone can understand, whatever their level of expertise, which means you can advertise with something besides things that may be wonderful, but bore everyone but photogs to death.

"Hey, this can get damp or wet!"

08-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Anyway, my two cents are, they'd *definitely* better weatherseal that puppy:

that'd take up space too!

but, i'd take it
08-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyway, my two cents are, they'd *definitely* better weatherseal that puppy:

that'd take up space too!

but, i'd take it
You have to pick your battles. Besides, stamp metal plates (or do brass on plastic like even cheap cameras used to) looky looky, you got your space back.
08-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #19
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
They take up space.

Anyway, my two cents are, they'd *definitely* better weatherseal that puppy: that's where they're able to stand out in that bracket, anyway. People want the small outdoorsey body. and it's a slam dunk people would buy it.... It's something to crow about that everyone can understand, whatever their level of expertise, which means you can advertise with something besides things that may be wonderful, but bore everyone but photogs to death.

"Hey, this can get damp or wet!"
I respectfully disagree ! Like I said before putting such a w.s. body on the market would imply w.s. kit lens(es) hence larger cost for the kit body+kit and body+double kit which I suppose are the vast majority of sales. It will also mean a complete makeover of the body and giving up the DA L lenses at less than a year after launch. Finally it will also give unnecessary competition to the mid range body in between K-m2 and K-7 which traditionally is the bread and butter of most brands. Yes, rugged for the outdoors is a niche but small and cute is another one just as important to Pentax especially on the home market. So, IMO w.s. won't happen on that camera (at least not yet).

Radu

08-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I respectfully disagree ! Like I said before putting such a w.s. body on the market would imply w.s. kit lens(es) hence larger cost for the kit body+kit and body+double kit which I suppose are the vast majority of sales.

....but they already have weather sealed kit lenses. I don't believe weather sealing is expensive either. I would be surprised if the updated K-m is not weather sealed. Making the whole Pentax DSLR line-up weather sealed will be a great move.
08-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I respectfully disagree ! Like I said before putting such a w.s. body on the market would imply w.s. kit lens(es) hence larger cost for the kit body+kit and body+double kit which I suppose are the vast majority of sales. It will also mean a complete makeover of the body and giving up the DA L lenses at less than a year after launch. Finally it will also give unnecessary competition to the mid range body in between K-m2 and K-7 which traditionally is the bread and butter of most brands. Yes, rugged for the outdoors is a niche but small and cute is another one just as important to Pentax especially on the home market. So, IMO w.s. won't happen on that camera (at least not yet).

Radu
I'm beginning to wonder if there will be a mid-range body. Maybe this is it.
08-20-2009, 05:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I'm beginning to wonder if there will be a mid-range body. Maybe this is it.
I remember some information from the earlier this year - 3 new or updated cameras were to be released this year. K-7 is obviously a new model. K-m Super would be an updated which leaves a third model. Probably a mid class model, but a model above K-7 would be sweet.

08-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
I remember some information from the earlier this year - 3 new or updated cameras were to be released this year. K-7 is obviously a new model. K-m Super would be an updated which leaves a third model. Probably a mid class model, but a model above K-7 would be sweet.
august is almost done, so maybe we'll hear something by next month .
maybe even a rumor about the k200 successor. amazing how tight hoya has made these rumors.

at $619, the k20 looks mighty tempting though.
08-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

august is almost done, so maybe we'll hear something by next month .
maybe even a rumor about the k200 successor. amazing how tight hoya has made these rumors.

at $619, the k20 looks mighty tempting though.
Yes, it's about time for some "directed leaks". I don't expect too much noise about the updated K-m but the K200 successor will make some I guess (if there will be one).
08-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Yes, it's about time for some "directed leaks". I don't expect too much noise about the updated K-m but the K200 successor will make some I guess (if there will be one).
If they have significant inventories of Km and K200, they will not leak *anything*. Rumors influence people to sit on the sidelines.
08-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Heck, I will sell my K-7 if that camera gets a 10MP CMOS sensor as this means that it will be much better image quality wise, so I doubt this somehow
Do you think it will have a higher image quality than a rescaled K-7 15MP image to 10MP in photoshop? And if so, how?
08-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #27
AM2
Forum Member

I don't think the K-M replacement will have video in it, or live view, for that matter. K-M is aimed squarely at Nikon and Sony's entry level line, cameras that have neither LV nor video and are using the same 10MP CCD for the most part. It'll probably be an improved K-M, like the OP said, with minor tweaks and weather sealing. The weather sealing hint comes from the pair of WR kit lenses that Pentax released with the K-7. This would be a major selling point over most other entry level DSLRs in the industry.

Anyway, IMO, after a few months this is what Pentax's DSLR offerings will look like:

K-7:
- 14.6MP CMOS
- LV
- Video
- 5+FPS
- 1/8000s
- Magnesium-alloy shell
- best in class weather sealing
- large buffer
- vertical grip
- lithium ion

K300D:
- 14.6MP CMOS
- LV
- Video
- 2.8/3 FPS
- 1/4000s
- composite plastic shell
- K10/20D class weather sealing
- largER (than K200D, I hope) buffer
- vertical grip
- lithium ion battery (perhaps the same one they used for K10/20D)
- new design, in line with K-7 design

K3000:
- 10MP CCD
- no LV
- no Video
- 3+ FPS
- 1/4000s
- plastic composite shell
- weather sealing introduced at this class level for the first time
- selectable AF points
- selected AF point indicator
- AA powered
- design modified to look more like a smaller K-7 than resemble the K10/20D family
08-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfier Quote
Do you think it will have a higher image quality than a rescaled K-7 15MP image to 10MP in photoshop? And if so, how?

yes, especially at high iso. each pixel sensor has a larger bin for more collection of light and greater SNR. Averaging them together later on and downsizing does not yield the same effect.
08-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #29

guessed spec:

It'll be whatever the K-7 is, mostly confined to the K-m hardware, except for the sensor assembly.

i.e.

- not weather sealed
- no battery grip
- no top LCD
- single e-dial
- 3.5 FPS (K-m shutter assembly)
- pentamirror
- AA batteries

but:

- 14.6MP CMOS with HD Video and Live View
- PRIME II
- Dust Reduction II
- SAFOX VIII+ (it can be slower than the K-7 due to the use of AA batteries)
- In-body HDR (much like how the K-m got most of K20D's software features like D-Range)
08-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
If they have significant inventories of Km and K200, they will not leak *anything*. Rumors influence people to sit on the sidelines.
Umm, that would be me. It does seem though that with the K200d officially discontinued, and many of our local stores listed as "out of stock", that it would be in their best interests to replace that model.

Then again, for close to the same price, you can now pick up the K20D. That IS a good way to clear old stock with a higher inventory value........