Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
I think a replacement of the k-m with the same K-7's AF system probably never will be available because even if you put a worst viewfinder, plastic body, etc., many user would like this feature more then anything.

Perhaps they will produce some little adjustment, for example a body even more small, and nothing more.

09-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #32
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've heard it's not simply K-m replacement.
It's new camera. To replace K200D and K-m in some new way.
09-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #33

It must have LV and Video to be competitive. Anything less will fail in the market. Pentax is not Sony. It actually needs to deliver fully-featured cameras to sell.

To be class-leader the new camera will also need to offer weather seals and/or articulated LCD screen.

This won't be enough for dpreview.com to give the new camera an HR, as its label will still be wrong (only Canon and Nikon get an automatic HR on this site). Pentax will not only need to add all the above features, but also to fine tune the JPEG defaults to dpreview.com taste, add AF point display in the viewfinder, an orientation sensor and a larger buffer. These are mostly good changes, regardless of dpreview.com bias.

Prog.
09-02-2009, 05:21 AM   #34
ogl
Banned

I don't want gadget with a lot of features, I'd like something like K200D (maybe smaller) without LV and video with 10 MP CCD, but with AF assist, better AF and buffer.

I'm tired from marketing.

09-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't want gadget with a lot of features, I'd like something like K200D (maybe smaller) without LV and video with 10 MP CCD, but with AF assist, better AF and buffer.

ditto.

give me an updated k200 with better AF, AF Assit beam and bigger buffer and i'll be happy.

added features like LV and video would be nice to have, but not necessary, at least for me. that also raises the price.
09-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

I agree or at least I understand your point. The thing is... average buyer don't care and needs marketing. If Pentax wants to be profitable they need to address (as well) D60/D5000/500D/1000D market. Even if we laugh at those cameras.

Sad but (IMO) true.
09-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #37
ogl
Banned

My K200D is in service center now. Died.
I've tried K-7. It's really good machine and very good work of Pentax, but not mine.
Too many features.

K-m - I would buy it, if it has 11 AF points (selectable), better buffer and weather sealings.
I hope we will see 10 MP CCD one more time in new camera from Pentax.
09-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #38
cyg

IFA Berlin starts in two days.

Maybe we will have something from Pentax by then.

Something other than a couple of P&S, hopefully...

(not that there is anything wrong with P&S in general)

09-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've heard it's not simply K-m replacement.
It's new camera. To replace K200D and K-m in some new way.
Interesting. Well whatever it is, they better get their tails moving since there is some really cool stuff coming out of Panny and C*non.

And I see C*non is the first to provide a 1.0/100% viewfinder in an APS-C - come on Pentax!

I want to use my limiteds on the equivalent of the GF1......
09-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Interesting. Well whatever it is, they better get their tails moving since there is some really cool stuff coming out of Panny and C*non.

And I see C*non is the first to provide a 1.0/100% viewfinder in an APS-C - come on Pentax!

I want to use my limiteds on the equivalent of the GF1......
I don't think the 1.0X magnification is that great. Compared to Pentax 1.5X APS-C, that viewfinder is the same, if not smaller, than the K20D+K10D (about the same as K-7).
09-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyg Quote
IFA Berlin starts in two days.

Maybe we will have something from Pentax by then.

Something other than a couple of P&S, hopefully...

(not that there is anything wrong with P&S in general)
someone in the other forum had a link to the exhibitors at IFA and Pentax was NOT on that list.

can anyone confirm this?
09-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Fair enough - I always forget about the 1.6 crop. I guess then I am asking for 1.0/100% on APS 1.5x then.... off topic for this thread, but emphasising all of the interesting things happening now.

I was going to suggest that the Mpix wars were over and that we are into interesting times as far as new technologies and different product mix/targets, but I also see a certain camera going for 18mp......
09-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #43
Pentaxian

No, appears that Pentax are not showing

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
someone in the other forum had a link to the exhibitors at IFA and Pentax was NOT on that list.

can anyone confirm this?
I checked for their distributor De Beukelaer BV (and Hoya too). Nothing.
09-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I agree or at least I understand your point. The thing is... average buyer don't care and needs marketing. If Pentax wants to be profitable they need to address (as well) D60/D5000/500D/1000D market. Even if we laugh at those cameras.

Sad but (IMO) true.
I had thought this way, but looking at the cost of the cameras with live view/ video, they are significantly above the "entry level" that Pentax has traditionally offered. The K2000 launched at 500 dollars and currently sells for a little over 400 dollars. I think that price point wise, Pentax really needs to stick to something like 500 dollars for entry level, 800 dollars for mid level and 1200 dollars for high level. That puts the upper two tiers as having video and the lowest not having it.

I think that is fine. People looking at entry level dslr are looking because of price, not because of video and if your camera is a couple hundred more, with video, they will choose cheaper.
09-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #45
Nubi

Just in. k-m will be replaced by a video only model.